The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

As an American coming, I can say for me it really wasn't a chain reaction thing... in fact, to be completely honest I'm very upset so many Americans will be there! I am interested in experiencing the new and different... not some North American hubub in the middle of Scotland! I've been an anglophile my entire life and I just knew it would be an amazing experience to go over there for school; I need to get away from California and there's nothing more different than the cold of Scotland. I guess reading all that Jane Austen and Harry Potter and PG Wodehouse might have persuaded me. A lot of the decision to go to Scotland over the rest of the UK was because of the more flexible degree structure (in the US education is much more broad and it's rare to apply for a subject right away like in England) and the fact that if you go to Scotland then you get a two year work permit afterward. I thought I wanted to go to Edinburgh intially but visited St. Andrews as an afterthought and LOVED it. I only discovered that so many other Americans have the same love affair with St. Andrews until later. Anyway, how could anyone not love the beauty of the town (something that really sold me) and the sense of community? As people have said, St. Andrews is just awesome.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 81
Well well - i just discovered this amazing little forum today, and am insanely glad i did. I live in Texas and got accepted to St. Andrews this past month for International Relations/Philosophy. Still not quite sure whether I'm on my way there yet or not.

I did see the comments about Texas earlier though, and am happy to report that I am not a Neo-Con haha...

Anyway, what attracted me to St. Andrews was its IR program as well as its more "community feel". Also, I love the show Little Britain. And the music that comes out of the UK is amazing - especially Radiohead. I guess it boils down to the culture.

My only problem is, now I have to decide between St. Andrews and Pepperdine University in Malibu, California. Two radically different schools, and I have absolutely no idea what I want. Basically it boils down to being "safe" and staying in the USA or leaving life behind and studying abroad. Any people here that maybe can help with the decision?
Reply 82
a fellow texan eh? well "howdy" :cool: .......by the way i strongly dislike the spurs
Reply 83
Kecantu
now I have to decide between St. Andrews and Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

I was thinking of applying to Pepperdine! I've heard that they have a good IR program and the weather is awesome, but the school was too conservative/christian for me. Living in Malibu would be nice though...
Reply 84
ebonyphoenix
in fact, to be completely honest I'm very upset so many Americans will be there! I am interested in experiencing the new and different... not some North American hubub in the middle of Scotland!

Don't worry, if St Andrews is 20% North American (i think that's the statistic), that still means that 80% of the students aren't North American! As long as most of the North Americans are like the ones on this board, I'm sure we will all get along fine. Everyone hear seems to be motivated by the desire to do something new and exciting as well. :smile:
Yeah, the 20% statistic is for international students in general, not just Americans, so it really doesn't sound all that bad. I like the Americans on this board... don't worry! :biggrin: I'm not one of those people who is all screw America or something; I actually do have some American pride but I'm just ready for a change.

Kecantu- I did a summer program at Malibu (though it wasn't affliated with the university) and wow, is it pretty there by the beach! But are you very religious? I believe they have mandatory chapel and that sort of thing. Although since it is by the beach and a party school, I'd say there would probably be a lot of other less conservative and religious people. I just don't think Pepperdine can compete with St. Andrews' academics though; St. Andrews has a much better reputation.
Reply 86
Does the st andrews reputation attract recruiters from big companies from the US?
Reply 87
"St Andrews has a VERY aggressive marketing campaign aimed at American students!"- I think it's not only Americans, they are happy to welcome studnets from outside the EU and UK because they pay very high tutions fees which EU/English studnets don't. So they want to attract as many Americnas and non-EU students as possible.
Reply 88
ebonyphoenix
Yeah, the 20% statistic is for international students in general, not just Americans, so it really doesn't sound all that bad. .

really? They way everyone was talking down on this thread, it sounded like 50% of the students were american! :s:
Reply 89
by the way i strongly dislike the spurs

haha well howdy to you as well, but I suppose it's not my fault that the Spurs will take the championship this year as well as the last :smile:

I was thinking of applying to Pepperdine!

That's awesome - yeah I've heard that it has a bit more conservative atmosphere, but to me the school's programs and the weather offset that disadvantage. and as for the religion, from what I've heard it's not pushed upon you and is far less of an issue than at other denominational schools.

However, St. Andrews is most likely where I'm headed, although if Pepperdine offers a lot of $$$ my decision will be influenced in that direction.

Is St. Andrews' reputation really that much bigger than Pepperdine, though? I would guess that Pepperdine's more known around the USA, but not as much internationally.
Da Mouse
really? They way everyone was talking down on this thread, it sounded like 50% of the students were american! :s:

Yes it seems that way to me too... everyone's complaining how the school is being overrun with Americans, but the vast majority of students are still British. Maybe it's because Americans tend to be really loud so it would seem like there are more of us... I don't know!

Kecantu- Oh, I would definitely chose St. Andrews over Pepperdine! (Although I admit I'm a slight bit biased!). Being in California, I never hear all that much of Pepperdine and the University of California schools seem to far outshine Pepperdine. St. Andrews has an excellent reputation with US employers and personally I think they'd be more impressed with someone who went to St. Andrews over Pepperdine.
Pepperdine University? Never heard of it. I can safely say that St. Andrews is SIGNIFICANTLY more acclaimed worldwide, though I'm not very knowledgable with regards to Pepperdine's rep within the U.S.

However, I wouldn't make a decision based on Little Britain and Radiohead :p: (though both are awesome)

Texans... :wink:
Reply 92
It seems to be very well known in the USA, yet when my family down in London heard that I was applying there they had never even heard of the place.... Someone was saying something about St Andrews being well known by American employers, is that really true? (not questioning it, just never thought it would be that way!)
St. Andrew’s may have an aggressive US marketing campaign, but it is somewhat spotty. Their efforts in the great state of Ohio are confined to a small handful of Cleveland/Cincinnati elite private schools. As a public school kid I first heard of it on the American equivalent of this site [collegeconfidential] because the IR department was highly-ranked internationally.

Da Mouse – The share of overseas students is 20%. About three-quarters of those are American. Nothing like LSE but still a decent contingent.

Kecantu - I visited Pepperdine when I was in LA last spring, not that’s a campus. Homes worth many millions of dollars overlook a campus which overlooks a country club which overlooks more expensive homes which overlooks the Pacific. I still think that St. Andrew’s gives it a run for its money on the “gorgeous” factor, but I’m sure that’s not all you’re looking for.

In any case, I agree with Ebony about the reputation. St. Andrew’s has managed an international reputation whereas Pepperdine is regional—it is nowhere near as well-known here in the Midwest as some schools of lesser quality.
Reply 94
Hmmm...well thanks for all the replies. Now I just have to figure out things finance-wise.

Did anyone else apply for that Ransome Scholarship from St Andrews?

Anyway I suppose if I really needed a year in California I could always go to St Andrews and take a year "abroad" at a University of California institution. Pretty ironic that it'd actually be more like being at home than abroad.
Reply 95
I applied for the scholarship too.
Kecantu
Anyway I suppose if I really needed a year in California I could always go to St Andrews and take a year "abroad" at a University of California institution. Pretty ironic that it'd actually be more like being at home than abroad.

Haha... my parents mentioned that I could always come home for my junior year abroad at UCLA, but I think I'll like being at St. Andrews far too much!

I also applied for the Ransome Scholarship... oh dear, it appears I have competition! Have either of you heard anything back from them regarding the scholarship or any sort of confirmation that they received the application? For all I know, my stuff could have gotten lost in the mail.
Reply 97
i applied for the ransome scholarship as well, and I haven't heard anything either. perhaps we should e-mail them?

i also received a pretty large amount of money to go to BU today, and now i'm confused :frown:
Reply 98
I e-mailed the scholarship application, actually, and received a confirmation reply that they received it. When I asked what they looked for, I received the answer:

"We are never very clear about what the Ransome selectors are looking for in the essays, but I would state why you want to come to St Andrews, what you feel an international education will do for you, and why you want to apply for the Ransome Scholarship."

Seems like a basic application essay.

When I asked about when we'll know the winner, I heard back the following:

"It's difficult to give you any time-span as the selection process can take some time. However, I would imagine that you will hear mid/late April."
Reply 99
Are there any other financial aid/student loans that we are eligible for as international students?

Latest

Trending

Trending