Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Disabling the smoke detector

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am living in a house with 4 other students and the smoke detector is doing that beeping thing where it tells you it is out of battery, except it is 1 in the morning and I can't exactly buy a battery at this time and it is constantly beeping and I need to be up early in the morning, I have tried unplugging it but it doesn't want to come off and when I tried the fire alarm went off. I really need to sleep but with this beeping I can't, I know I shouldn't unplug it but I really need some sleep, does anyone know how to stop it from beeping? It is an Optical Smoke Detector but everything I have googled hasn't helped, can anyone help?!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pull the battery out. Or sometimes you can acknowledge the alarm by pressing the button in the middle or the test button.

But please do get a battery tomorrow as they are critical to safety and pretty sure you would be breaking your lease agreement with the landlord if you left it with no battery!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bat.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	147008

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 11, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.