The Student Room Group

Chemistry Unit 2 Edexcel, Exam- 23rd May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AS01
for N2O4(g) <=> 2NO2(g)
why compressing the gases cause the mixture to darken.
NP: N2O4 pale yellow and NO2 dark brown

Well something compressed tells me that the answer is something along the lines of the molecules are packed closer together?

Original post by itsmehello
I need helP :frown:

The oxidation number of oxygen is always -2 apart from in H2O2

So in H202 is it -1??

It is -1 yes. :smile:
Reply 581
Original post by ummm
What does it mean by sealed apparatus guys? Surely if you weren't refluxing with sealed apparatus you'd lose volatile gases?

no for reflux the apparatus is open at top while for distillation its open at the end. So for using ammonia you need sealed apparatus as you are heating in reflux. The ammonia will escape coz it cannot be condensed by condenser so you have to seal it.
Reply 582
Original post by wam-bam
do you also pu that the solution turns brown (with KBr)

& the solution also turn black with KI ??

thanks

nope you don't coz its reaction with sulphuric acid its not the disproportionation reaction. or the displacement reaction. do you know what I mean?
Original post by AS01
its thermal stability increases if polarising power decreases.
and the polarising power of group 1 is much less than that of group 2 as they have large ionic radius and smaller charge on ion than the ion of group 2 so the thermal stability of group 1 is more than that of group 2

Thanks a lot dude, but are group 1 compounds always thermally stable than group 2 compounds ?
Reply 584
Original post by AS01
no for reflux the apparatus is open at top while for distillation its open at the end. So for using ammonia you need sealed apparatus as you are heating in reflux. The ammonia will escape coz it cannot be condensed by condenser so you have to seal it.

Ohhhhh, thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 585
I swear to god I am going to thermally decompose in a minute... it's too hot!
Original post by VRS
VDW<Perm. dip. Perm. Dip < Hydro. Bond?? right LOL - just to clarify haha

Yup that's correct.

Every molecules has VDW

Only polar molecules have perm dip

And only molecules with F, O or N have Hydrogen bonds
Reply 587
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Well something compressed tells me that the answer is something along the lines of the molecules are packed closer together?

It is -1 yes. :smile:

thats a bit confusing. if compressed means volume decreased which means pressure rises since the number of molecule is more at right so position of equilibrium shift to left I don't know why would that be more darker? Its one of the question from the past paper.
Reply 588
q1.png
q2.png

Guys, quick question. You know in the very latest past paper(2012) There was a question about titration and colour of solution just before you add starch. WHY THE HELL THE COLOUR IS PALE YELLOW ??

I thought Iodine in water is brown solution, and in hexane is purple. So why it is yellow?
Reply 589
Original post by ummm
Ohhhhh, thank you! :biggrin:

its okay. :wink:
Original post by ummm

I won't because I'm a group 1 carbonate, I'm thermally stable!

See whut I did tharr
Reply 591
Original post by Grim Rinazyte
Thanks a lot dude, but are group 1 compounds always thermally stable than group 2 compounds ?

I will say yes as it says thermal stability depends on polarising power and polarising power alwaz depends on charge of ion and size of ion.
Original post by ummm

Forming an oxide? Uh oh! :frown:

Original post by AS01
thats a bit confusing. if compressed means volume decreased which means pressure rises since the number of molecule is more at right so position of equilibrium shift to left I don't know why would that be more darker? Its one of the question from the past paper.

Confused.com - Google to the rescue! :wink:
Reply 593
Original post by lordmackery
I won't because I'm a group 1 carbonate, I'm thermally stable!

See whut I did tharr

Not if you're lithium carbonate :wink:
Original post by AS01

I thought they say sealed apparatus because it has to react under high pressure?
Original post by ummm
Not if you're lithium carbonate :wink:

Tut tut tut there's always one :biggrin:
Reply 596
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Forming an oxide? Uh oh! :frown:

Confused.com - Google to the rescue! :wink:

lol
Reply 597
Original post by lordmackery
I thought they say sealed apparatus because it has to react under high pressure?

nope its to prevent NH3 from escaping.
Reply 598
does ammonia in sealed tube with halogenalkane have to be alcoholic? coz george facer book dont say alcoholic, cgp does?
Reply 599
Original post by delphinas
q1.png
q2.png

Guys, quick question. You know in the very latest past paper(2012) There was a question about titration and colour of solution just before you add starch. WHY THE HELL THE COLOUR IS PALE YELLOW ??

I thought Iodine in water is brown solution, and in hexane is purple. So why it is yellow?

its purple in hexane not in sodium thiosulphate
as far as I know you might have done one of the coursework on this. I came to know about the colour is pale yellow from my coursework :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending