The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G482, Electrons, Waves and Photons, 25th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The medjai
Does anyone else feel as though this exam is mainly based upon regurgitating information?

i feel all science a levels are about it which they are.
Okay I have now forgotten the basic principle of Physics:
WHAT HAPPENS TO V, I OR R WHEN EITHER OF THEM INCREASE? (Don't V=IR cos thats really misleading; it doesn't always work with this).

So when R increases, I decreases, but what happens to V?
- Does it also increases since V is proportional to R (V=IR, sorry :colondollar:)
- Or does it increase since there's a smaller I so the voltage needs to push the current around the circuit?

Wait, I'm contradicting myself here; they're both the same thing :s-smilie: but (I THINK) what I'm trying to ask is why the voltage increases... (reason 1 or reason 2 or both or neither?!)

Also, when V increases, WHAT happens to I or R? They can't both increase (...can't they? :colondollar:)

I think I'm going crazzyy. :colonhash: :colone:
Reply 302
Original post by levantine
huh resistivity never changes as its only a ratio and is the same for the same material.

Resistivity doesn't change but resistance can by changing the length of the resistor (variable resistor) or the temperature
Is stopping potential on our syllabus, someone mentioned it earlier and worried me! I saw it in the textbook but we never covered it in school?
Reply 304
Original post by sweetascandy
Okay I have now forgotten the basic principle of Physics:
WHAT HAPPENS TO V, I OR R WHEN EITHER OF THEM INCREASE? (Don't V=IR cos thats really misleading; it doesn't always work with this).

So when R increases, I decreases, but what happens to V?
- Does it also increases since V is proportional to R (V=IR, sorry :colondollar:)
- Or does it increase since there's a smaller I so the voltage needs to push the current around the circuit?

Wait, I'm contradicting myself here; they're both the same thing :s-smilie: but (I THINK) what I'm trying to ask is why the voltage increases... (reason 1 or reason 2 or both or neither?!)

Also, when V increases, WHAT happens to I or R? They can't both increase (...can't they? :colondollar:)

I think I'm going crazzyy. :colonhash: :colone:

If there is only one component in the circuit and the resistance increased then the current would fall and V would remain constant

And if V is increased then current will increase but R will remain constant

These two assume that temperature remains constant ^^^^

If there are two or more components in series then it becomes a potential divider circuit where increasing the resistance of one component increases the P.d. (voltage) across it and lowers the P.d. across the other components. It will also lower the current
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 305
Original post by xoxfazjazxox
Is stopping potential on our syllabus, someone mentioned it earlier and worried me! I saw it in the textbook but we never covered it in school?

Yeh it is ... but it doesnt tend to be worth as many marks as other experiments it tends to be an "add on question" to the photoelectric effect

here is how its done..

Photoelectric effect
-em radiation shone on metal
-one photon acts with one electron
-if the photon is below the threshold frequency no electrons are displaced even if the intensity is altered
-if the photon is above the threshold frequency a surface electron is freed
-when the frequency is above the threshold the amount of electrons displaced is effected by intensity
-if the kinetic energy transfered from the photon to the electron is great enough it will travel through the vacuum to complete the circuit

Stopping potential
- The stopping potential can be found by passing a current the opposite direction to the freed electron
- To find the max KE of an electron we need to know find voltage is needed to cancel out the photoelectron
- We then multiply the voltage by e (electron charge / 1.6x10^-19) to find energy (Max KE)
Original post by Dale12
JUST to make me happy eh :smile: ? :wink:
a driving oscillator just waggles the string up and down... basically the same as a vibrations generator :smile:

Is this diagram correct for forming stationary waves from stretched strings:

EDIT: Don't laugh at my drawings; i did it as quickly as poss :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SamXi
If there is only one component in the circuit and the resistance increased then the current would fall and V would remain constant

And if V is increased then current will increase but R will remain constant

These two assume that temperature remains constant ^^^^

If there are two or more components in series then it becomes a potential divider circuit where increasing the resistance of one component increases the P.d. (voltage) across it and lowers the P.d. across the other components. It will also lower the current

Original post by ebmaj7
When V is the EMF, V = IR works.

V is proportional to I. R is a constant. V, where V is the EMF, stays the same.

When V is a PD, things can alter slightly depending upon conditions (eg. temperature comes up a lot.)

Then there's the other formula, involving V out and V in. This shows, where V out is the EMF, and V in is the PD across a component, that as the R of a component increases, as does the PD across a component.

Thanks alot guys, will +rep you when i get a refill :biggrin:

Btw ebmaj, in what situations would you put V equal to the EMF? Is that when there is just one component in the circuit, or is there some other rule?
Reply 308
Original post by sweetascandy
Thanks alot guys, will +rep you when i get a refill :biggrin:

Btw ebmaj, in what situations would you put V equal to the EMF? Is that when there is just one component in the circuit, or is there some other rule?

when the battery has negligible internal resistance
Original post by SamXi
when the battery has negligible internal resistance

Omg, that makes so much sense. Because E=IR + Ir, so if r=negligible, then just assuming its 0, Ir=0, hence E=IR. OMG, thanks so much :biggrin: deffo giving you +rep tomorrow; remind me if I forget :smile:
Original post by SamXi
Yeh it is ... but it doesnt tend to be worth as many marks as other experiments it tends to be an "add on question" to the photoelectric effect

here is how its done..

Photoelectric effect
-em radiation shone on metal
-one photon acts with one electron
-if the photon is below the threshold frequency no electrons are displaced even if the intensity is altered
-if the photon is above the threshold frequency a surface electron is freed
-when the frequency is above the threshold the amount of electrons displaced is effected by intensity
-if the kinetic energy transfered from the photon to the electron is great enough it will travel through the vacuum to complete the circuit

Stopping potential
- The stopping potential can be found by passing a current the opposite direction to the freed electron
- To find the max KE of an electron we need to know find voltage is needed to cancel out the photoelectron
- We then multiply the voltage by e (electron charge / 1.6x10^-19) to find energy (Max KE)

Thank you massive amounts :biggrin:
Original post by SamXi
I dont have the book mate.. but i think thats stopping potential which ive explained above il try and go into more detail

- We then multiply the voltage by e (electron charge / 1.6x10^-19) to find energy

Are we meant to know this; is it in the spec? Btw, I like how you've got a nickname for Kirchoff :wink:
Original post by ebmaj7
A good hint when they're gonna want you to mention the internal resistance is when they put 'Battery A, which has a very small internal resistance.'

If they don't say the word negligible, it's because they're gonna want you to mention it in one of the long essay-like questions.

Same if they say something like 'A voltmeter, with a very high resistance is connected in parallel.'

Yeah I guess that is true. But what would I say about it? Does it just depend on the context of the question? Or will I just be completely baffled in the exam? :eek: :p:
Reply 313
what experiments are you meant to know?? it's so confusing cause they all seem the same
Original post by Victoria4
what experiments are you meant to know?? it's so confusing cause they all seem the same

From the spec:

Describe an experiment to obtain the I-V characteristics of a resistor at constant temperature, filament lamp and light emitting diode.

Describe Experiments that demonstrate two-source interference using sound, light and microwaves.

Describe Young double slit experiment.

Describe experiment to determine wavelenght of monochromatic light.

Describe and experiment using LEDs to estimate plancks constant - (The photoelectric effect basically!)

ENJOY! :smile:
Original post by ebmaj7
Also yes, stopping potential - yer' what?

Never heard this be mentioned.

Just throw it in if you can, they've given you that information for a reason.

Say there's one component in a circuit and the PD doesn't = the EMF, the reason could be due to internal resistance etc.

Also some energy is lost etc. Dunno what they could ask tbh.

Is this diagram correct for forming stationary waves from stretched strings:
Reply 316
we've been taught stopping potential at college so i assume its in the spec
Reply 317
13hours 57 minutes to do D:
With the Planck constant experiment, is it better/easier to plot Energy against frequency (work out energy by doing e x the V that you measure, and work out f by doing c/ ?) where gradient=h, or V against 1/ ? where gradient = h x c/e ?? Which would save time in an exam? Although they both are pretty long..
Original post by ebmaj7
I think instead of the signal generator and vibration thingey, it's called an oscillator. Makes things oscillate. :smile:

But otherwise yeah that's great. There's a good question to do with that on the June 2010 paper I think.

Oh okay, should I call it a driving oscillator, or simply just an oscillator? Or am I looking too much into things? :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending