The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G482, Electrons, Waves and Photons, 25th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by 101101
Really? I think it was the easiest paper there has been, apart from maybe jan 2012

Yeah, it didn't sit well with our year 12s at all. January 2012 was pretty easy - I'd say easier, so hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower than that at least, then I might be okay! :colondollar:
Reply 981
Jan 2012 was 73/100 for an A but was marginally easier and it will have been pulled up by re-sitters.
69/100 is my bet.
Reply 982
^ i think the grade boundaries will be higher for some reason
Reply 983
For the LED question on resistance after 1.8V, was it a straight line?!? I checked against my ruler and even calculated resistance at 1.9V and 2.0V and the resistance was clearly decreasing. Yet quite a lot of my friends said it was a straight line and so R is constant. However they did not check like I did.

Someone shed some light on this for me.
Reply 984
answers as i remember it

last question got exactly 50... but i think its completely wrong did 1 squared +0.8 squared +0.6 squared over 0.2 squared LOL?
Electrons have charge and can be deflected by magnetic and electric fields.
For microwave question Maxim intensity when the detector is parallel to the plane of polarization of the wave aka 0 degrees. Minim intensity is when the detector is perpendicular to the plane of polarisation.
Electrons -maximum kinetic energy question. Electrons have a range of kinetic energies due to collisions between themselves and the atoms of the metal. Maximum kinetic energy cannot be greater than the photon energy minus the work function of the metal.
seven pence that kilowatt hour question
LED's have a longer working life time than filament bulbs because they are versatile and robust. XD
Definition questions look in book xD
2Nd last question i got 30mm because the wavelength was a quarter of the length because it said the length between maximum (anti node) and minimum (node) so 4 x 7.5mm = 30mm
For the number of slits i got 301 mm(some other unit) for something like 3.06 x 10 to minus 6 meters convert that into millimeters then do the inverse to get the number.
The blue wavelength line was about 8 degrees to the horizontal so drew a line inside the other lines.
Reply 985
It was decreasing.
It was non-ohmic due too the straight line not passing through the origin.
I think that will catch a lot of people out.
Original post by J.C
For the LED question on resistance after 1.8V, was it a straight line?!? I checked against my ruler and even calculated resistance at 1.9V and 2.0V and the resistance was clearly decreasing. Yet quite a lot of my friends said it was a straight line and so R is constant. However they did not check like I did.

I put that it was decreasing, too. It said to use the graph to support your answer so I also did R=V/I at 2V to show it had decreased.
I said electrons carry charge, photons carry energy?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 988
Original post by J.C

This got me as well. I ended up putting it was ohmic because it was a straight line, though I did do some calculations and saw it was clearly decreasing... I was so confused!
Reply 989
oh damn i said it was constant :mad:
How did you do the question about proving the electron's speed was 4.7x10 to the power of something>?
Original post by Z REFAN Z
answers as i remember it

last question got exactly 50... but i think its completely wrong did 1 squared +0.8 squared +0.6 squared over 0.2 squared LOL?

The waves were 0.8a and 0.6a so when superimposed, the max amplitude you could get waas 0.8a + 0.6a = 1.4a and 0.8a - 0.6a = 0.2a

You know that intensity is proportional to amplitude squared (I = a^2) so:

1.4^2 / 0.2^2 = 49

49 is nearly 50 :smile:
Reply 992
Original post by LeaX
I put that it was decreasing, too. It said to use the graph to support your answer so I also did R=V/I at 2V to show it had decreased.

Yeah exactly, I think it's just my friends rushing and not properly checking just because it looks straight from a far. Not sure how to get the 3 marks though, think I may have just got 2.
Reply 993
root(electron energy from part 1 divided by half * 9.11*10^-31)
Reply 994
Original post by LeaX
How did you do the question about proving the electron's speed was 4.7x10 to the power of something>?

Make the energy from the previous bit equal to 1/2mv^2
Original post by Lindizya
oh damn i said it was constant :mad:

I said it was constant too!
I calculated at random points and got a decreasing resistance, but when using my ruler I saw a straight line and didn't know what to pick so I just said it was constant cause straight line -.-
Reply 996
Original post by LeaX

you had the kinetic energy from the previous question then equate to k.e= 1/2mv^2 to find what v is.
Reply 997
Original post by J.C
Yeah exactly, I think it's just my friends rushing and not properly checking just because it looks straight from a far. Not sure how to get the 3 marks though, think I may have just got 2.

The line was straight however it didn't pass through the origin so wasn't an ohmic conductor. Rather an obscure easy to forget fact.
Reply 998
Original post by pixelfrag
I calculated at random points and got a decreasing resistance, but when using my ruler I saw a straight line and didn't know what to pick so I just said it was constant cause straight line -.-

If you checked closely it wasn't an exact straight line.
Reply 999
Original post by pixelfrag

This is what I did too.

Ah well :cool: will have to pull out all the stops to get a good grade in G485 now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending