The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G482, Electrons, Waves and Photons, 25th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sweetascandy
^I think you mean resistance.

So if you increase resistance, then the current decreases so more voltage needed... is that right?

Is voltage meant to be sort of pushing the current along, so if current is already high, then it doesn't require a very high voltage; but if the currents low, then it does need a high voltage to sort of push the current round the circuit. Am I right?

oh yeah sorry I meant resistance. Yes that statement you made is right.
Original post by egypt305
Make sure you know how to determine planks constant!!

Experiment to Determine the Planck Constant

Connect an LED of known wavelength in an electrical circuit (which has a battery, voltmeter, LED and potential divider)
Start off with no current flowing through the circuit, then adjust the variable resistor until a current just
begins to flow
Record the voltage (V0) across the LED, and the wavelength of the LED
Repeat this experiment with a number of LEDs that emit different optical wavelengths
Plot a graph of the threshold voltage (V0) against 1/? (where ? is the wavelength of the light in metres)
On the graph, you should get a straight line, of gradient 'hc/e' where h is the Planck constant, c is the speed
of light and e is the elementary charge
From this, Plank constant (h) can be calculated
Reply 142
Original post by ChloeA
I = nAve

For x
V= I/(2Ane) As X has twice the cross sectional area
V= 2x10^-5

For y
V = I/Ane
V= 4x10^-5

:smile:

great thanks :biggrin:
Experiment to Determine the Planck Constant

Connect an LED of known wavelength in an electrical circuit (which has a battery, voltmeter, LED and potential divider)
Start off with no current flowing through the circuit, then adjust the variable resistor until a current just
begins to flow
Record the voltage (V0) across the LED, and the wavelength of the LED
Repeat this experiment with a number of LEDs that emit different optical wavelengths
Plot a graph of the threshold voltage (V0) against 1/? (where ? is the wavelength of the light in metres)
On the graph, you should get a straight line, of gradient 'hc/e' where h is the Planck constant, c is the speed
of light and e is the elementary charge
From this, Plank constant (h) can be calculated

You do not need to know the wavelength of the LED, obviously it does help. You can use the n(lambda)=dsin(theta) to find the wavelength - LED through diffraction grating and bright/dark fringes.

This would take longer but my teacher does reckon this will come up as it involves quantum mechanics, waves and electricity - all three.
Reply 144
Original post by lifesabeach
You do not need to know the wavelength of the LED, obviously it does help. You can use the n(lambda)=dsin(theta) to find the wavelength - LED through diffraction grating and bright/dark fringes.

Although this is very useful to know, I doubt that you would be expected to combine the two practicals into one. For one thing, it is very hard to see the bright spots from LED light through a diffraction grating; you would normally need something much more intense like a laser beam.

They may ask about either of these things, and it is great to know both in detail, but I would be surprised if they are combined.

This would take longer but my teacher does reckon this will come up as it involves quantum mechanics, waves and electricity - all three.

Why would you go through all that when you can do it the simple way (my simple way)?! :-/
Original post by Pangol
Although this is very useful to know, I doubt that you would be expected to combine the two practicals into one. For one thing, it is very hard to see the bright spots from LED light through a diffraction grating; you would normally need something much more intense like a laser beam.

They may ask about either of these things, and it is great to know both in detail, but I would be surprised if they are combined.

You are right and if was the case, it would probably suggest the wavelength is unknown in the question, or it may be a 7 - 8 mark question with plenty of writting space. I would judge whether I would put it in as to how they worded the question and if it just said 'Describe an experiment to determine planck's constant' then I would probably leave it out, depending on whether I think I could make say, 5 clear cut points, for a 5 mark question.
Why would you go through all that when you can do it the simple way (my simple way)?! :-/

Your not asked to carry out the experiment, only describe it. I was only making you aware, if you wern't already, that you can do it that way, as well.
Reply 148
wow, pretty complicated, but atleast theres two ways of doing it
Reply 149
Original post by shyro1000
wow, pretty complicated, but atleast theres two ways of doing it

yeah, I think eV = hc/lambda will be my method :tongue:

Nice and simple.
Reply 150
Original post by wibletg
yeah, I think eV = hc/lambda will be my method :tongue:

Nice and simple.

i agree, thank god for the simple formula's rather then the real long awkward difficult ones :smile:
Do I revise for the exam tomorrow or go watch Elton John who is playing in my town tonight?
Reply 152
Do I revise for the exam tomorrow or go watch Elton John who is playing in my town tonight?

revise half the day then elton john :biggrin: compromise ftw
Original post by shyro1000
revise half the day then elton john :biggrin: compromise ftw

Sounds a plan. What do you think is the hardest part of this module?
Reply 154
Sounds a plan. What do you think is the hardest part of this module?

The gay way they ask the questions. The content isn't particularly difficult, but the way they ask to see your knowledge is. :mad:
Reply 155
Original post by wibletg
The gay way they ask the questions. The content isn't particularly difficult, but the way they ask to see your knowledge is. :mad:

Not as bad as one of the Chemistry past papers, it was something like
"Compare the percentage yield and the atom economy of this reaction"

And the first point on the mark scheme was "Ignore any comments regarding percentage yield." :eek:

Though I agree Physics has some ridiculously worded questions :frown:
anyone willing to share their revision notes? Will be greatly appreciated.
Original post by kingboom4
anyone willing to share their revision notes? Will be greatly appreciated.

Although they are not really notes, I find it very useful to look at it worded from a different angle.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Physics_%28Advancing_Physics%29#Electricity
Your not asked to carry out the experiment, only describe it. I was only making you aware, if you wern't already, that you can do it that way, as well.

Yeah but you have to describe how to carry out the experiment. So whats the point of just complicating things? :L
Reply 159
Original post by ebmaj7
What would a like, 'perfect' answer be for 'what is the difference between EMF and P.D?'

EMF changes energy INTO electrical energy.

PD changes ELECTRICAL energy into other energy?

Sort of, you need to mention energy transferred per coulomb as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending