The Student Room Group

I've always wanted to do a physics degree but..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingkongjaffa
Are you drunk? Feynman was one of the best theoretical physicists who ever lived, I highly doubt anyone on here is a better mathematician than him.

Feynman was good at maths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_parametrization

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellmann%E2%80%93Feynman_theorem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler%E2%80%93Feynman_absorber_theory

Lol you call that Maths. Physicists are funny.
Original post by Simplicity

Yeah stop trolling now, I can see by your massive minus rep that you're this much of a jerk all the time so it's not worth me or anybody else trying to persuade you!

Oh I am sorry please return when you have produced anything of comparable complexity.
Original post by EmmaJane_
I've loved physics ever since I can remember. I love reading physics books and learning about new things, and I'd love to do a physics degree.

I'm in year 12, and currently doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths AS-levels.
I don't want to continue maths to A2, because I hate the curriculum.
I don't hate maths, and I'm not bad at maths either, I just find it hard to revise or concentrate in maths because I hate the course content.

Is doing physics with a foundation year so I don't have to do maths A-level a good idea? Or is dropping maths a stupid idea?

Maths is important for physics. Doing a foundation year you will cover A-level maths and you will cover parts of Further Mathematics over a much more intensive period.

With the right mindset university and a foundation year can help you. I did badly at A-level mathematics originally getting a U and resitting a year getting a C. At university I worked hard to tackle my weaknesses and did very well in the exams (~98%).

The foundation year also allowed me to cover further mathematics topics which I would not have had the chance to take at A-level.
Original post by CurlyBen
A foundation year is an extra year at uni, so £9k tuition fees, + accommodation, + living costs, - 1 year's earning potential. How much is not doing a maths A2 worth to you? (Not to mention you'll probably restrict your choice of universities to an extent, and an admissions tutor is likely to wonder why you're not doing A2 maths).
I agree with the rest of your post but why the **** does that matter? Life isn't a race.
Original post by EmmaJane_
I've loved physics ever since I can remember. I love reading physics books and learning about new things, and I'd love to do a physics degree.

I'm in year 12, and currently doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths AS-levels.
I don't want to continue maths to A2, because I hate the curriculum.
I don't hate maths, and I'm not bad at maths either, I just find it hard to revise or concentrate in maths because I hate the course content.

Is doing physics with a foundation year so I don't have to do maths A-level a good idea? Or is dropping maths a stupid idea?

what exactly do you mean by not liking the course content of maths?
Original post by Carl Sagan
I agree with the rest of your post but why the **** does that matter? Life isn't a race.

Where did I say it does (or doesn't) matter? It's worth thinking about though. I didn't much like maths at school but I wouldn't have paid £50k to not take the A2.
Original post by CurlyBen
Where did I say it does (or doesn't) matter? It's worth thinking about though. I didn't much like maths at school but I wouldn't have paid £50k to not take the A2.

it's not exactly the same thing though the '£50k' requires a years work whether you do it aged 21, 22, 23 ...

If I took a year out of work to go travelling I wouldnt be paying a years wages for it - I just wouldnt be earning that wage. You're treating this as the same.

Your logic only applies if you are comparing it to what you could have the same age - which is why he's saying it's not a race
Reply 108
Why aren't you doing M1/C1/C2, then M2/C3/C4. It's weird to do stats/decision if you are doing Physics A level.

No it's not, we do S1/C1/C2, then M1/C3/C4

M2 is pretty unnecessary
Original post by a.partridge
it's not exactly the same thing though the '£50k' requires a years work whether you do it aged 21, 22, 23 ...

If I took a year out of work to go travelling I wouldnt be paying a years wages for it - I just wouldnt be earning that wage. You're treating this as the same.

Your logic only applies if you are comparing it to what you could have the same age - which is why he's saying it's not a race

Well that's not entirely true - there is a direct cost, the tuition fees (and living costs, though whether they're direct or indirect is a bit of a grey area), and an indirect cost, which is where you would be if you did the A level and not the foundation year (in this case). Both should be taken into account when making a decision. Trying to second guess the mights and maybes of one course of action over another is impossible so I'm not going to try. Note that at no point have I said one is better than the other.
It didn't really help the poster I was replying to was so unnecessarily rude.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending