The Student Room Group

retaking a levels

so im 20 and i have decided to retake my a levels - the first itme i was always in hospital so i decided to repeat the year, the second time i got covid during my a level exams so i missed a lot of exams so they gave me the first mark that i sat for the first paper divided by 3 and gave me that result. The third time i did a foundation year at a uni and was doing well; but my parents didn't allow me to move out, so I was doing a 5-6 hr commute with my illness, and ended up paralysed and was unable to sit my final exams. I want to give it one last shot before i give up on engineering - how many hours a day should i study if i was to take maths and physics at a level, and where would you recommend getting the resources from - it's been a while since I've studied a level of content. Any tips or recommendations. I also want to study a language for fun at a level base - just to clear my mind off maths and physics and i don't need to do that amazingly on the language - my dad said it will be good for me, and he doesn't mind paying for the language to be sat at a level and it doesn't matter if i pass or fail as long as i enjoy it and learn something from it - i only need to do really well in maths and physics. I don't want to a degree in engineering but a degree apprenticeship or apprenticeship but for that my health needs to be a bit better as all the apprenticeship schemes are outside of London for the type of engineering i want to get into and plus they have high requirements like A's and A*s. I am also a part time gcse tutor and am learning digital marketing through online courses and projects (unpaid) - I want to get a part time job or do a hybrid digital marketing scheme for 6months - 1 year but if i can't just refine my skills in the meantime - until i think im physically able to do engineering again - on top of getting my writing out there and publishing a book - what will be the best time management. With me when I was ill and always in hospital I was always revising and did poor when I just focused on a level, but when i balanced it out with everything else, my mental physical wellbeing improved a lot, as a result my grades improved a lot. Any tips and suggestions will be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Long post - and I can't work out what you are asking here - do you want to go to Uni, are you well enough, do you want to do an apprenticeship ??
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Long post - and I can't work out what you are asking here - do you want to go to Uni, are you well enough, do you want to do an apprenticeship ??

Studying tips for self teaching a levels - resources and timetabling ? I’m going to do 3 alevels independently - how many hours should I put in a day to achieve a good grade ? I’m also doing a part time job and a marketing course so taking that into a factor too - how do you think I should plan my studies ? Health is better but I wake up late due to temporary paralysis twice a week. I’m looking to do an apprentiship after i resit my alevels for engineering (if health is good) if not then I will do something easier like marketing in the meantime secure those a level grades until I’m physically able to do an engineering apprentiship
Reply 3
Self teaching is very hard and I'd never recommend it.
No feedback on written work, no-one to 'ask' when you get stuck, and you will loose motivation / interest very quickly.

Look at doing A levels as formal online learning or do some Open University units or an Access to HE course at a local college - Access to Higher Education (accesstohe.ac.uk)
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Self teaching is very hard and I'd never recommend it.
No feedback on written work, no-one to 'ask' when you get stuck, and you will loose motivation / interest very quickly.

Look at doing A levels as formal online learning or do some Open University units or an Access to HE course at a local college - Access to Higher Education (accesstohe.ac.uk)

Thank you I’ll definitely check it out - I mean I’ve done it before but it’s just been a long time since I studied a levels - and the tuition centre I work at told me today that if I need any help I can ask the alevel tutors and they have exampro questions so I’ll be able to have access to
Original post by tinkerbell223
Thank you I’ll definitely check it out - I mean I’ve done it before but it’s just been a long time since I studied a levels - and the tuition centre I work at told me today that if I need any help I can ask the alevel tutors and they have exampro questions so I’ll be able to have access to

I sent you a message on PM. 🙂 Just do all the questions and you'll get an A star for Maths.
Original post by tinkerbell223
Studying tips for self teaching a levels - resources and timetabling ? I’m going to do 3 alevels independently - how many hours should I put in a day to achieve a good grade ? I’m also doing a part time job and a marketing course so taking that into a factor too - how do you think I should plan my studies ? Health is better but I wake up late due to temporary paralysis twice a week. I’m looking to do an apprentiship after i resit my alevels for engineering (if health is good) if not then I will do something easier like marketing in the meantime secure those a level grades until I’m physically able to do an engineering apprentiship

Maths, Further Maths and Physics would be the easiest combination of subjects and would allow you to apply to Engineering degrees anywhere in the country!!! 😀 lol But you would need to achieve A star's and A's to get into Cambridge, Imperial, Durham, UCL, Bristol, KCL, Warwick, York, Edinburgh.

As a guideline you're recommended to do 180 hours per A-Level for the entire Specification. So roughly 4 hours per A-Level per week.

I would recommend Edexcel Pearson for Maths and Further Maths and AQA for Physics.

A Level Resources Isaac Physics

Have you found an exam centre yet?

Campbell Harris College in Kensington, London hires a huge hall and it allows them to offer any examboard and any subject for Edexcel, AQA, OCR and WJEC Eduqas. But not IAL or CAIE.

How to register | Campbell Harris
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by thegeek888
I sent you a message on PM. 🙂 Just do all the questions and you'll get an A star for Maths.

thank you so much will check : )
Reply 8
Original post by thegeek888
Maths, Further Maths and Physics would be the easiest combination of subjects and would allow you to apply to Engineering degrees anywhere in the country!!! 😀 lol But you would need to achieve A star's and A's to get into Cambridge, Imperial, Durham, UCL, Bristol, KCL, Warwick, York, Edinburgh.

As a guideline you're recommended to do 180 hours per A-Level for the entire Specification. So roughly 4 hours per A-Level per week.

I would recommend Edexcel Pearson for Maths and Further Maths and AQA for Physics.

A Level Resources Isaac Physics

Have you found an exam centre yet?

Campbell Harris College in Kensington, London hires a huge hall and it allows them to offer any examboard and any subject for Edexcel, AQA, OCR and WJEC Eduqas. But not IAL or CAIE.

How to register | Campbell Harris

I would like to have a degree apprenticeship - I'm looking at Warwick, Dyson, jacobs, atkins, AstraZeneca, Pfizer Warwick degree apprenticeship requires AAB. I already have a B in Further maths AS level and a B in psychology so its just maths and physics I need - Im thinking to do a CAD course on the side as these apprenticeships are quite competitive and maybe do a language as an alevel so my brain is not too bombarded with maths and physics.

I will be learning all of this independently and sitting my exams privately so will 4 hours a week of each subject be enough? Thank you so much will defo download the aqa spec and start looking at the link you sent. The tuition centre I work at said I might be able to get a discount at another centre but if not will check out the one that you suggested - again thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest