The Student Room Group

switching degrees before first year

I'm currently in year 13 and I take maths, further maths, economics, and physics. I'm tailoring my personal statement to an economics degree since that's what I've always wanted to go into. However, I'm thinking of doing a physics degree instead since I've been more interested in that and I can really see myself doing it but I'm still unsure of what I want.

I'm applying to Warwick, UCL, and Bath as my main options - if I get my A* in physics and maths in the actual exams, do you think I'll be able to switch to a physics degree before the first year begins in either of these unis?
It would depend on whether the Physics courses are full. Unfortunately it is quite likely they will be full for the universities you are looking at. Maybe you would be better waiting until the end of the equal consideration before applying to get more certainty about what you want to study. Explain your dilemma to your school. Many Physics courses end up in clearing if you were to look elsewhere. One example is Exeter.
Heyy,
I was actually in the same situation as you and had spent my the whole of year 12 doing extracurriculars for econ. However once I spoke abt this with my teachers they advised me to go with what I wished to actually learn about and I ended up having to re write a whole new personal statement about physics even though I had to do supercurriculars again like watching lectures etc. I acc managed to get through it bc I enjoyed doing the further research.my advice to you is to go do that physics ps and do your physics degree your grades will come bc you know you'll be working towards smth you enjoy
Original post by moonflower321
I'm currently in year 13 and I take maths, further maths, economics, and physics. I'm tailoring my personal statement to an economics degree since that's what I've always wanted to go into. However, I'm thinking of doing a physics degree instead since I've been more interested in that and I can really see myself doing it but I'm still unsure of what I want.

I'm applying to Warwick, UCL, and Bath as my main options - if I get my A* in physics and maths in the actual exams, do you think I'll be able to switch to a physics degree before the first year begins in either of these unis?

Hey,
Ik u pm'd me but I can't reply cos apparently I'm not active enough on tsr🥴 so if u have any qs lmk here I'm happy to help with what I can :smile:
Original post by bye.0987654321
Hey,
Ik u pm'd me but I can't reply cos apparently I'm not active enough on tsr🥴 so if u have any qs lmk here I'm happy to help with what I can :smile:

thanks! this is gonna be a spam but how did you decide that you definitely wanted to do phy over econ? And are there a lot of job prospects after uni finishes? Also idk if I'm not cut out for it cause I actually don't mind econ it's interesting sometimes - I feel like doing phy as a career would be fun but the uni lectures would be extremely hard yk?
Original post by moonflower321
thanks! this is gonna be a spam but how did you decide that you definitely wanted to do phy over econ? And are there a lot of job prospects after uni finishes? Also idk if I'm not cut out for it cause I actually don't mind econ it's interesting sometimes - I feel like doing phy as a career would be fun but the uni lectures would be extremely hard yk?

When I was doing extra reading on econ, I couldn't bring myself to watch the videos. Like yk for your personal statement you have to watch lectures etc. And me and econ lectures let me tell u I get bored of them so quickly, but when I was doing research for physics I loved every moment of it cos I was genuinely interested in the concepts.

For physics you can genuinely do anything, it's an open degree. Like you can go into a section of med idk what but that's what my teacher told me, engineering, finance etc.

Tbh every uni course is hard. Physics is extremely hard, but if you enjoy it , you'll want to suffer to learn (idk if that's the right choice of words bit I'm hoping u get what I mean)
ALSO women in stem💪💅
(I'm assuming ur a girl cos of ur username😭)
But I ended up having to re do my ps in October to novemebr time and change it from econ to physics but I don't regret it.

Also self doubt isn't good, you honestly got this. You've already worked so hard and got good grades to be doing the subjects you're doing now. You can do it again. Sure aqa a level physics is annoying ( I hope u do aqa to get what i mean lol) but its going to be alright

Good luck with ur application 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending