The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Studying at the Open University

Hi, has anyone studied at the Open university before?
Reply 1
Yeah, what about it?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by KiloDelta
Yeah, what about it?
How difficult are the courses? I'm studying at University now but also want to study a degree at OU but want to know if it usually easier or harder than brick unis(I still want to study NatSci regardless of difficulty as its interesting but I'm curious). And I mean just in general, how is it like studying a course from the OU and is it all difficult etc.?
I did it for a bit can't say I enjoyed it myself, its definitely set up for a certain type of student, very text heavy, not much in terms of interactive learning material/content
Reply 4
Original post by compressed-infid
I did it for a bit can't say I enjoyed it myself, its definitely set up for a certain type of student, very text heavy, not much in terms of interactive learning material/content
Wdym by interactive learning?
Original post by mojin
Wdym by interactive learning?
What I mean is all the content was just massive blocks of text on a webpage, no video, audio or practical activities, i was doing a STEM based degree at the time.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mojin
How difficult are the courses? I'm studying at University now but also want to study a degree at OU but want to know if it usually easier or harder than brick unis(I still want to study NatSci regardless of difficulty as its interesting but I'm curious). And I mean just in general, how is it like studying a course from the OU and is it all difficult etc.?

I wouldn't say it was any easier or difficult compared to most unis. I would say of course bear in mind that year one will be a gradual start as it is assumed that everyone is at the same level (open learning and that)

NatSci is a very well respected degree. OU do sciences well from experience but also what I've heard from others.

Courses are challenging enough and well taught. If you find yourself struggling, there will always be support available. Tutor; tutor group forums and other groups with students
Reply 7
Original post by KiloDelta
I wouldn't say it was any easier or difficult compared to most unis. I would say of course bear in mind that year one will be a gradual start as it is assumed that everyone is at the same level (open learning and that)

NatSci is a very well respected degree. OU do sciences well from experience but also what I've heard from others.

Courses are challenging enough and well taught. If you find yourself struggling, there will always be support available. Tutor; tutor group forums and other groups with students
I got another q about OU, if I wanted to start studying the course during my placement year(doing stage 1 during it), and then for the next two years dont do any credits on my degree, but then pickup studying until completing the degree all while on a part time study duration(6 yrs), is that allowed? Like can you reduce your modules to 0 for a year or two, and then continue picking them back up later?
Reply 8
Original post by mojin
I got another q about OU, if I wanted to start studying the course during my placement year(doing stage 1 during it), and then for the next two years dont do any credits on my degree, but then pickup studying until completing the degree all while on a part time study duration(6 yrs), is that allowed? Like can you reduce your modules to 0 for a year or two, and then continue picking them back up later?
You can do - there should be something somewhere which says how long you have to complete a qualification
(usually up to 16 years part time)

Some modules change every other sitting.

Best thing to do is discuss with OU because they can go into the nitty gritty for your course.

It is definitely possible though. As long as it is done in that time.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by mojin
I study physics, its pretty good.

From my experience the materials are very text heavy with some activities spread in, but due to the nature of it being remote the activities are a bit meh - so for example we have had multiple group work activities through the forums, or we watch videos of experiments instead of doing them ourselves.

Because it is remote you will rarely ever meet people - which can be somewhat isolating but it is what it is - there are things like the student association and societies which sometimes have events you can get involved with (there is a space society, young people society, reading, etc).

The assignments and exams are pretty straight forward, and all the tutors I have had so far have been very nice and helpful, responding rather quickly when reached out to. Tutorials for the most part are only ever in the evenings - so around 18:00 - 22:00, but they are recorded so you can always watch them if you can't attend.

The first stage is significantly easier than the second stage modules. The second stage modules are also more fun in my opinion - as the first stage ones are more so getting you prepared with things you may already be familiar with.

I would say its not hard or easy. Its really what you make of it. No one will force you to do the work, and you really have to keep on top of it if you want to do well.

I think the OU is a good alternative to a brick uni, especially if you are working along side it - though you really want to be managing your time well so that you are always a few weeks ahead in case something unforseen comes up and you become unavailbe for a week
I do physics with OU too. So far, it's been good. But as others have said. It's very text heavy. So a lot of reading text on a Web page.

I imagine the NatSci course is quite fun. Just like the physics course

Quick Reply

Latest