The Student Room Group

M1 graph question

For the first part, I see they intersect which is when they have the same speed , but I'm not too sure on how I'm meant to find it ?

For part 2, B will overtake A when they have travelled the same distance, so I found the area for A during the first 20seconds and for B. But don't know what to do further :confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tulian
For the first part, I see they intersect which is when they have the same speed , but I'm not too sure on how I'm meant to find it ?

One way would be to find the equation of the line for B between t=0 and t=20 and find where it intersects the line for A (v=8). Or you could work out the acceleration of B between t=0 and t=20 and use the definition of acceleration to work out at what time the speed will be 8ms-1... I think that's actually the same method but with two different ways of thinking about it.

Original post by Tulian
For part 2, B will overtake A when they have travelled the same distance, so I found the area for A during the first 20seconds and for B. But don't know what to do further :confused:

Try finding the distance travelled by A - which'll be the distance travelled by A between t=0 and t=20 + the distance travelled by A between t=20 and t=T. Then try finding the value of T for whiuch the distance travelled by A is equal to the distance travelled by B. Should do the trick.
Reply 2
the overtaking is after 20 seconds. At 20 seconds A has done 160m whilst B has only done 140m.
After 20 seconds they are both travelling at a constant speed so you could model it by letting the slower one A stop and let the faster one B continue at the difference of their speeds until he has made up the 20m gap.
Reply 3
beep
Reply 4
sorry for that i just wanted to see my status.:biggrin:
Reply 5
1 more and that makes it 100
Do you have the mark scheme for this? Cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest