The Student Room Group

AQA Economics 25th May 2012 Unit 2 Exam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by . .
Which question did you have to do the structural definition for the first one or the second one.

That was section B question 1
Reply 581
Original post by venenecinema
Yeah sounds about right to me. When I read it I could hardly believe it was worth 12 marks. The mark scheme is incredibly lenient as well, you could get away with just talking about the exports.

Yeah I defined a fall in the currency and something else, cant remember. Drew diagram shifting AD to the right. Then explained using AD equation and how a depreciation would lead to exports being cheap and thus more competitive and imports being dearer. hence AD becomes larger.

or something of the sort
Reply 582
Original post by Axion
easy is subjective, if i found it very easy then I found it very easy. You can't prove me wrong and you are maknig yourself look like an idiot.

maybe you would have found it easier if you had revised more :wink:

Maybe. Then again I already had 95 UMS in the exam so not really that concerned although it would be nice to get a few more marks.

Original post by Jordan foster
It was how decreasing the budget defecit effected unemployment, so argue that decreasing it would raise unemployment?

Ahhh. I remember.
Reply 583
Original post by bethany18
That was section B question 1

Did you do that question?
Original post by Ecomax
Me either :L unbelievably brilliant question .. How did you do in the 25 mark do you think ?

Couldn't have been a better question to be honest. I knew that unemployment would come up but I didn't like the wording of the question. I just did the standard stuff like positives/negatives of interest rate changes in the long/short run, paragraph on contractionary fiscal policy/supply side policy. Managed to fit a decent amount of analysis and evaluation in, I think I did a pretty decent conclusion.
Pessimistically hoping for high level 4 (20-21)
You?
If I didn't talk about AD = C+I+G+(X-M) but I talked about AD rising and this causing demand pull inflation. How will this affect my mark?
For unit 1 and unit 2 probably like 114 I am thinking now. I was thinking it would be lower early but to be honest this paper was comparatively easy. Unit 1 was average/slightly harder than normal.

114 for unit 1 & unit 2 to get an A? Do you have any idea for B and C?
Original post by . .
Nope never found anything easy.
Probably.
Exactly.
Still not a large enough sample size.
Approximately 8300 people probably sat the exam.

If you're this stubborn/dim there's no point talking to you.
I said it was my personal expectation - I don't require any sample size for that, though I formed mine based on the opinions of my peers.

By the way, the definition of 'easy' is "possible to accomplish with few difficulties". Nothing to do with "hundred percent or you're lying".
Original post by Axion
Yeah I defined a fall in the currency and something else, cant remember. Drew diagram shifting AD to the right. Then explained using AD equation and how a depreciation would lead to exports being cheap and thus more competitive and imports being dearer. hence AD becomes larger.

or something of the sort

Should definitely be 12 marks based on the generic mark scheme
Original post by PaddyTheOmani
If I didn't talk about AD = C+I+G+(X-M) but I talked about AD rising and this causing demand pull inflation. How will this affect my mark?

Probably wouldn't affect it, maybe a mark or so?
Reply 590
Original post by PaddyTheOmani

Your suppose to link everything. So for example increase in consumer confidence increases consumption and assuming all other components remain constant AD will increase and if there isn't a sufficient increase in supply to meet this demand then demand pull inflation will occur.
114 for unit 1 & unit 2 to get an A? Do you have any idea for B and C?

I'm not really sure about B/C, but if you google "AQA economics grade boundaries" they have a unified list for each year and you can just scroll down to economics. I took an average for the past few years and based it on that.
Surely it is C?

Yeah i agree isn't the answer C? increasing interest rates wouldn't it shift to the left???
Reply 593
Couldn't have been a better question to be honest. I knew that unemployment would come up but I didn't like the wording of the question. I just did the standard stuff like positives/negatives of interest rate changes in the long/short run, paragraph on contractionary fiscal policy/supply side policy. Managed to fit a decent amount of analysis and evaluation in, I think I did a pretty decent conclusion.
Pessimistically hoping for high level 4 (20-21)
You?

Yeah same sort of thing ... in basic terms i did something like this
----
Intro: Definitions etc

1st point .. interest rates effect on demand side .. i.e increase = less AD abd decrease = more AD .. diagrams and all that
then evaluated so stated that its not the only component in increasing AD like the fact that although interst rates are 0.5% atm we are not seeing a rise in AD instead a double did recession therefore not effective

second point .. interest effect on supply side (cost push inflation) and effect on investment so an increase in investment leads to a shift in the LRAS curve reducing inflation ..
then evaluated and stated that although interest rates do effect the level of investment the keynesian theory of investment states that investment will not rise because confidence is low etc .. therefore no shift in LRAS curve

then said that the best way to control inflation was through the use of supply side policies, examples, why ..

conclusion: Answer the question
----

my analysis was good and i evaluated each point to the extent that i possibly could :L so it should be fine .. same really although im hoping for a bit higher ..about 23 would suit

yeah i looked at the unemployment question and thought okay thats not bad, then saw the inflation questions and automatically made my decision :L
Original post by DeepDarkSecrets
Yeah i agree isn't the answer C? increasing interest rates wouldn't it shift to the left???

It is definitely C, that guy was just confused about why it wasn't D.
Reply 595
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
If you're this stubborn/dim there's no point talking to you.
I said it was my personal expectation - I don't require any sample size for that, though I formed mine based on the opinions of my peers.

By the way, the definition of 'easy' is "possible to accomplish with few difficulties". Nothing to do with "hundred percent or you're lying".

I'm a bit of both stubborn and dim. It sucks.
Original post by . .
Did you do that question?

No I did question 2, went into the exam hoping for unemployment to come up but got put off by the 25 marker on that question so went for inflation :P they were both pretty similar though, spent 5 minutes deciding which one to do :O
Original post by Ecomax
Yeah same sort of thing ... in basic terms i did something like this
----
Intro: Definitions etc

1st point .. interest rates effect on demand side .. i.e increase = less AD abd decrease = more AD .. diagrams and all that
then evaluated so stated that its not the only component in increasing AD like the fact that although interst rates are 0.5% atm we are not seeing a rise in AD instead a double did recession therefore not effective

second point .. interest effect on supply side (cost push inflation) and effect on investment so an increase in investment leads to a shift in the LRAS curve reducing inflation ..
then evaluated and stated that although interest rates do effect the level of investment the keynesian theory of investment states that investment will not rise because confidence is low etc .. therefore no shift in LRAS curve

then said that the best way to control inflation was through the use of supply side policies, examples, why ..

conclusion: Answer the question
----

my analysis was good and i evaluated each point to the extent that i possibly could :L so it should be fine .. same really although im hoping for a bit higher ..about 23 would suit

yeah i looked at the unemployment question and thought okay thats not bad, then saw the inflation questions and automatically made my decision :L

Yeah I am definitely hoping for higher but I just don't want to get my hopes up in case I have made any stupid mistakes that I can't remember.
Reply 598
No I did question 2, went into the exam hoping for unemployment to come up but got put off by the 25 marker on that question so went for inflation :P they were both pretty similar though, spent 5 minutes deciding which one to do :O

Fair enough everybody I know chose the second one. :lol: But I guess it depends on your strengths.
aaah gheez am i the only one that did section b q1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending