The Student Room Group

A-level results URGENT

I'm in yr12 going into yr13 doing maths and further maths but my school makes us sit the maths a-level in yr12 so i've just received my results and found out I got 241 - 3 marks from A* (I really need an A* for the unis I'm planning on applying to)

I can't decide whether to resit or send for remark. And if I do send for remark would I be able to apply for priority since i want to apply for cambridge and my school's deadline for ucas is the 25th september? and also is there a way to find out which paper is worth sending for remark bc it doesn't say on my results sheet?? thank you
Original post by bears15
I'm in yr12 going into yr13 doing maths and further maths but my school makes us sit the maths a-level in yr12 so i've just received my results and found out I got 241 - 3 marks from A* (I really need an A* for the unis I'm planning on applying to)

I can't decide whether to resit or send for remark. And if I do send for remark would I be able to apply for priority since i want to apply for cambridge and my school's deadline for ucas is the 25th september? and also is there a way to find out which paper is worth sending for remark bc it doesn't say on my results sheet?? thank you

Hey there @bears15 :hi:
I would definitely chat to your Teacher/School about this. They will be able to advise on what they would recommend you do

Also, really great job, this is still a really great result and you should be proud :hugs:

Overall, you probably don't need all A*s to get into some pretty high calibre unis so it will be your decision as to what to do.
From the sounds of it, I would suggest going for a remark but remember that they can sometimes go down.

Check with your teacher :smile:
Original post by bears15

You school / college should have access to the mark per paper, so you use that to judge which would be the better candidate to get reviewed. You can also request a service called "Access to Scripts" which will allow you to see you actual papers, and use these to make the same decision.

There's no need for you to request a Priority Review of Marking, the standard Review of Marking will be back before 25th September.

Your school / college will need to request these services for you - and they will be able to help decide what the best approach is. BTW, although a 3-mark change following a Review of Marking isn't unheard of, it's not terribly common.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
You school / college should have access to the mark per paper, so you use that to judge which would be the better candidate to get reviewed. You can also request a service called "Access to Scripts" which will allow you to see you actual papers, and use these to make the same decision.

There's no need for you to request a Priority Review of Marking, the standard Review of Marking will be back before 25th September.

Your school / college will need to request these services for you - and they will be able to help decide what the best approach is. BTW, although a 3-mark change following a Review of Marking isn't unheard of, it's not terribly common.

Oh really? On my school form it said the deadline for the standard review was 28th september so I assumed it would just take longer in general. I remember for GCSE my friend got one of her papers standard remarked and they didn't get back with results until like january or february - are they just quicker with a-level results in general?

And how likely will it be that I would get those 3 marks (I know its harder to get extra marks for maths compared to essay subjects)? Bc I felt like they were being generous giving me my mark already
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by bears15
Oh really? On my school form it said the deadline for the standard review was 28th september so I assumed it would just take longer in general. I remember for GCSE my friend got one of her papers standard remarked and they didn't get back with results until like january or february - are they just quicker with a-level results in general?

And how likely will it be that I would get those 3 marks (I know its harder to get extra marks for maths compared to essay subjects)? Bc I felt like they were being generous giving me my mark already

Possible but unlikely! You can also go down in marks, remarks are very subjective and you never know what is going to happen

Chat to your school/teacher about this.

I would recommend going for it but only if this would massively change your Uni application/outcome
Reply 5
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Possible but unlikely! You can also go down in marks, remarks are very subjective and you never know what is going to happen

Chat to your school/teacher about this.

I would recommend going for it but only if this would massively change your Uni application/outcome

I'd like to apply to ucl and cambridge, both of which ask for A*, and most other ones I'm thinking of applying to ask for A*A*A so I may go for it
What if I did the access to scripts option then did a remark? Would I still get the result of the remark before 25th sept? It says on my sheet that you get the copy of the test no later than 8th sept

Thank you for the help :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by bears15

You won't be allowed to do a priority remark. Edexcel allow free access to scripts so get your teacher to go through the papers with the mark scheme. Three marks is unlikely tbh.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
You won't be allowed to do a priority remark. Edexcel allow free access to scripts so get your teacher to go through the papers with the mark scheme. Three marks is unlikely tbh.

So you wouldn't bother remarking? Would you recommend resitting? And would that affect my chances (I read somewhere that unis may ask for a higher offer if they see that you chose to resit a paper)??
Original post by bears15
So you wouldn't bother remarking? Would you recommend resitting? And would that affect my chances (I read somewhere that unis may ask for a higher offer if they see that you chose to resit a paper)??

Get the papers back and see what your teacher thinks. My teacher found 2 marks in one of my further maths papers back in 2019, but I only needed one mark to go up. 3 marks isn't common, but it could happen and getting back your paper is free so is worth doing :smile:
Original post by bears15
I'd like to apply to ucl and cambridge, both of which ask for A*, and most other ones I'm thinking of applying to ask for A*A*A so I may go for it
What if I did the access to scripts option then did a remark? Would I still get the result of the remark before 25th sept? It says on my sheet that you get the copy of the test no later than 8th sept

Thank you for the help :smile:

If you are close to the grade above in a subject, it may be worth getting a review of marking and you need to speak to your school about this. If you are close to the grade below, getting a review of marking can be risky because there is a small chance that your marks can be lowered.

Most marks stay the same, some go up and a small amount may go down. The first thing that you need to do is talk about this to your school.

You may not be eligible for a priority review to get an outcome back to universities soon (6th September for most unis, but can vary). So unsure if it is worth it
Original post by bears15

Get the papers back and check but it's rare to find three marks in my experience.
Original post by bears15

See this document. It confirms that the 28 September is the deadline for awarding bodies (exam boards) to receive requests for a review of marking.

I can't explain why it took your friend so long to get their GCSE paper reveiwed. Do you know what exam board that was with, and when she requested the review?

Original post by bears15

I'll repeat what I said earlier: "...a 3-mark change following a Review of Marking isn't unheard of, it's not terribly common", as the following chart illustrates.

Distribution of raw mark changes for AS and A levels following reviews.PNG

In terms of the impact of the subject:

Average Absolute Mark Change by Subject.PNG
Reply 12
Original post by DataVenia
See this document. It confirms that the 28 September is the deadline for awarding bodies (exam boards) to receive requests for a review of marking.

I can't explain why it took your friend so long to get their GCSE paper reveiwed. Do you know what exam board that was with, and when she requested the review?

I'll repeat what I said earlier: "...a 3-mark change following a Review of Marking isn't unheard of, it's not terribly common", as the following chart illustrates.

Distribution of raw mark changes for AS and A levels following reviews.PNG

In terms of the impact of the subject:

Average Absolute Mark Change by Subject.PNG

Hello just some question

When it says average absolute raw mark change does it mean for each request sent in like econ paper1 and paper 2 would be 2 different request or is it counted as one so 2 paper sent for the whole subject on average only nets 2 mark increase?

What are the chances of a successful remark, edexcel economics, never got below A star for mocks but final exam I got a B 7 marks off of the A boundary the paper I thought I did worst on was my highest, 64/100, 79/100, 70/100 should I send the 2 papers in?

It affects my firm and assurance, firm have already rejected me but if remarked to an A they would still accept, for assurance technically didn’t make AAA I have Astar AB so they are still deciding
Original post by Asdf_idk
Hello just some question

When it says average absolute raw mark change does it mean for each request sent in like econ paper1 and paper 2 would be 2 different request or is it counted as one so 2 paper sent for the whole subject on average only nets 2 mark increase?

I should have added the source, for context. It came from this Ofqual article, entitled "Reviews of marking and moderation for GCSE, AS and A level: summer 2022 exam series".

With respect you your question, to quote the article: "Raw mark changes described in this section relate to the difference in the mark given to a single unit, component or subcomponent before and after review." So it's per paper, not per subject.

Original post by Asdf_idk
What are the chances of a successful remark, edexcel economics, never got below A star for mocks but final exam I got a B 7 marks off of the A boundary the paper I thought I did worst on was my highest, 64/100, 79/100, 70/100 should I send the 2 papers in?

It affects my firm and assurance, firm have already rejected me but if remarked to an A they would still accept, for assurance technically didn’t make AAA I have Astar AB so they are still deciding

It's impossible to estimate your chances unfortunately. The stats in the article are all averages across all reviews, and can't be applied to individual cases.

Fortunately, your exam board is Edexcel. That's fortunate because they provide free, instant, on-line and PDF access to your marked exam papers. :smile: So you and your teachers can go through them and look for missed marks. That should put you in a great position to judge how likely you are to get a mark / grade uplift. Your school / college will know how to do this, but you can read about it here on the Pearson/Edexcel web site.

Quick Reply

Latest