The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 3 - BLY3H - Monday 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TheSilentFez
Does anyone else have both B2 and B3 tomorrow morning, or is it only my school which has decided to make us do this?

yup i have them 1 after the other no leaving the exam hall
Original post by PurpleSquid
Also, in a couple of past papers - Jan 08 and June 10 I found questions on 'the theory of biogenesis'.
I looked in the index of our textbook and found nothing...
Assuming we all have the same AQA textbook can anyone find anything about it (a page number would be really helpful!) :s-smilie: ?

From what I gathered from the internet it's basically a theory that life can only originate from life so bacteria/microbes etc cannot just appear from thin air. Is that accurate? I'd rather like to know what AQA say though.

If you have the Nelson Thornes book for AQA Science then there's a bit about Spontaneous Generation on page 270.

The specification merely says;
"• to explain how scientists such as Spallanzani, Schwann and Pasteur were involved in the development of the theory of biogenesis. "

If you read page 270, it will give you the contributions of each of the three scientists.
Original post by OllieWolly
You're most definitely not the only one who's cramming last minute! :smile: I'm still trying to remember differences between arteries, veins and capillaries

Haha I suppose anyone who's opened this thread plans on cramming in extra stuff. xD

I need to remember to not write down 'capillaries dilate' for heat loss.
The correct way to say it is (apparently) 'Blood vessels supplying capillaries'.
It actually says in the mark schemes to reject just 'capillaries'. How strict is that?
Hi guys, i have B2 and B3 tommorrow, as well

Does anyone know if there is a specific equation for the anerobic respiration in biogas generators?
e.g. to make milk it's the equation for lactic fermentation, but there doesn't seem to be one for how the waste plant and animal material ends up as methane.

thanks a lot
x
Reply 84
Haha I suppose anyone who's opened this thread plans on cramming in extra stuff. xD

I need to remember to not write down 'capillaries dilate' for heat loss.
The correct way to say it is (apparently) 'Blood vessels supplying capillaries'.
It actually says in the mark schemes to reject just 'capillaries'. How strict is that?

I know! They actually seem to penalise you for trying to be more specific..! You can just say 'Blood vessels dilate' and get the mark but if you say capillaries it's wrong? I wish they weren't so strict :frown:
Reply 85
Original post by 1st Muskateer
Hi guys, i have B2 and B3 tommorrow, as well

Does anyone know if there is a specific equation for the anerobic respiration in biogas generators?
e.g. to make milk it's the equation for lactic fermentation, but there doesn't seem to be one for how the waste plant and animal material ends up as methane.

thanks a lot
x

If there is I don't think we need to know it :smile: We just need to know it for yeast when making bread ect.
Original post by SomePotential
If you have the Nelson Thornes book for AQA Science then there's a bit about Spontaneous Generation on page 270.

The specification merely says;
"• to explain how scientists such as Spallanzani, Schwann and Pasteur were involved in the development of the theory of biogenesis. "

If you read page 270, it will give you the contributions of each of the three scientists.

Thanks. Yeah I kinda skim read that. xD
(I always ignore the pages in between chapters, it's a really bad habit)
It just doesn't explain what the theory of biogenesis is! Silly AQA...
Back to CGP then! :biggrin:
do all the past papers
Reply 88
Hey, do we actually need to know the advantages and disadvantages of specific biogas generators? Because we've been taught that and that had never come up in a past paper :/
I know! They actually seem to penalise you for trying to be more specific..! You can just say 'Blood vessels dilate' and get the mark but if you say capillaries it's wrong? I wish they weren't so strict :frown:

Me too. :frown:
Oh well, I should get started on that biogenesis thing. Then maybe some Spanish vocab... Ugh.
Good luck for tomorrow!

I'll probably come back to visit this thread after the exam to see how you all found it. :smile:
If there is I don't think we need to know it :smile: We just need to know it for yeast when making bread ect.

That's a relief! :tongue:

And weirdly, i'm kind of looking forward to the exams! After learning the stuff for 2 years, it'll be nice to actually do it!
Reply 91
Me too. :frown:
Oh well, I should get started on that biogenesis thing. Then maybe some Spanish vocab... Ugh.
Good luck for tomorrow!

I'll probably come back to visit this thread after the exam to see how you all found it. :smile:

There's really not much you need to know about biogenesis :smile: Any questions I've done on it have been how science works.. But good to to you too! And for Spanish too (my sister's doing that exam) :smile:
Reply 92

And weirdly, i'm kind of looking forward to the exams! After learning the stuff for 2 years, it'll be nice to actually do it!

I'm not looking forward to exams particularly.. But I am looking forward to the free periods I'll get! (my school doesn't have study leave sadly :frown: )
Reply 93
Kind of nervous for this exam tomorrow, I think most of it is easier than b2 but it's just the last section that I cannot seem to get my head around. Plus the questions on biogases confuse me. I've done past papers and I'm averaging top end B's, I just hate how they word some of the questions - that's what makes it more difficult for me as I never know exactly what they want. I think I'll be doing a lot of revision on the last section tonight plus looking through lots of past exam papers.

For the person who's struggling to know the difference between arteries, veins and capillaries...

I always remember arteries go AWAY from the heart. Veins have VALVES. Capillaries CONNECT arteries and veins (ie. found between them) Just think of little things like that to help you remember it :smile:

Good luck everyone!
Reply 94

You've been learning this for 2 years ? :eek:
There's really not much you need to know about biogenesis :smile: Any questions I've done on it have been how science works.. But good to to you too! And for Spanish too (my sister's doing that exam) :smile:

Oh ok that's good. :smile:

(Irrelevant to this thread but who cares: ) I had French last week so now I have to replace all that French vocab with Spanish. Too much memorising!
As if 2 oral exams wasn't stressful enough...

And that's outrageous that you don't get study leave! Mind you though, I feel so much lazier at home that I would at school...
Reply 96
I know it's not relevant to B3, but considering how some people are doing B2 before, I think this'd be useful to remember :smile:

Chemical bases in a certain sequence -> An Amino Acid
Amino Acids in a specific order -> A Gene
Section of Genes -> DNA
Long Strand of DNA -> Chromosomes
23 pairs of chromosomes (exception of games -> In a nucleus
I'm not looking forward to exams particularly.. But I am looking forward to the free periods I'll get! (my school doesn't have study leave sadly :frown: )

My sympathies, i have a friend in Norwich, whose school doesn't get study leave either! And he has his Silver DofE in his half term, so i suppose it could be worse!

But, I don't understand when they expect you to study and learn the stuff.
And if our lessons are to go by, we never any work in the lessons before the exams, we just get distracted by our friends!
Original post by Kutal
I know it's not relevant to B3, but considering how some people are doing B2 before, I think this'd be useful to remember :smile:

Chemical bases in a certain sequence -> An Amino Acid
Amino Acids in a specific order -> A Gene
Section of Genes -> DNA
Long Strand of DNA -> Chromosomes
23 pairs of chromosomes (exception of games -> In a nucleus

Thanks that's really helpful. :smile:

Just remember that 23 pairs only applies to humans, so check the question before writing the number. :wink:
Original post by James3110
You've been learning this for 2 years ? :eek:

We started in september of Year 10 (ok, so we did core biology for 2 terms) but after that we've been doing B2 and B3.
And i'm in Year 11 now, so yeah, that's about 2 years!
I thought most schools do it like this? How long have you been doing it? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending