The Student Room Group

reuben's y13/medapps journey!!

decided i should join in on this, especially because i need to lock in a levels now im almost done with interviews (last one on 9th jan).
a levels: bio, chem, german (aqa for all 3).
medicine application: received all 4 interview invites, done 3 + neuroscience offer.
ucas predicted grades: bio - a*, chem - a, german, - a
november mock grades (based off 2023 grade boundaries): bio - a*, chem - b, german - a
2024 goals - learn to drive, revise ofc, get a job and a new volunteering position

Scroll to see replies

applied for a volunteering post as a cooking/baking leader at a mental health unit - doing my informal interview on the 10th!

applied for some jobs - one in a nightclub lmao

went to the library and made some biomolecules flashcards for this healthcare charity i'm volunteering for

went charity shopping - bought a pair of jeans and a jumper

gym - chest, shoulders and triceps

acids and bases pmt exam qs - got an end of topic test when i go back to school

just gonna tag a couple of gyg/blogs i like - @toothysmile @oliviapope1 @il0vereigen
some stuff abt me:
fave music - fave band is car seat headrest, but i also listen to black country new road, alex g, mitski, lana del rey, tv girl, neutral milk hotel and loads of other bands asw!
current fave song is the place where he inserted the blade by bcnr or the gun song - no trigger version by csh
fave film: trainspotting
series i like: silent witness, happy valley, derry girls, the inbetweeners
hobbies: gym, fashion
(edited 2 months ago)
welcome to grow your grades :smile:!
Reply 4
well done on the a* in aqa bio, especially because its aqa. how do you revise for data and application questions?
Original post by IO bear
well done on the a* in aqa bio, especially because its aqa. how do you revise for data and application questions?

application questions - identify what topic the question is asking for, and most likely the marking points will be like 'less/no of process x occurs'. data questions - look at mark schemes as the same points tend to come up again and again.

made some bio flashcards for a healthcare charity i'm volunteering for

reviewed anki flashcards for all 3 subjects

did some interview prep on discord

watched part of an allery chemistry video on acids and bases

did some pmt acids and bases questions

daily anki review - only did 75 cards

continued to make some flashcards for journey to healthcare (charity), started doing cells

spent the whole afternoon holding mock interviews for journey to healthcare

discord interview prep - answered 'in what 3 words would your friends describe you', 'pregnant woman with down's syndrome - abortion or not', 'issues within healthcare at present and in future'

spent the rest of the day listening to music, tiktok scrolling (some of it is productive)

Reply 8
👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾Good luck on your interview . I've got a chemistry mock exam tomorrow and I'm currently doing acids and bases:smile:
Original post by IO bear
👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾Good luck on your interview . I've got a chemistry mock exam tomorrow and I'm currently doing acids and bases:smile:

thank you! i really enjoy acids and bases, but we're moving onto electrochemistry now

did some discord interview prep for like 2 hours in the morning

daily anki - 18 minutes

ran a hyms specific interview prep session on discord in the evening - 2.5 hours

icl i mainly just did interview prep today lmao

free period - did acids and bases exam qs, mutations notes + seneca

bio and chem lessons

primary school volunteering - helped w maths (7x table)

had an interview for volunteering in a mental health inpatient unit

daily anki

memrise german vocab for andorra (the play)

Reply 12
Original post by reubenn05

free period - did acids and bases exam qs, mutations notes + seneca

bio and chem lessons

primary school volunteering - helped w maths (7x table)

had an interview for volunteering in a mental health inpatient unit

daily anki

memrise german vocab for andorra (the play)

Following your GYG now! Well done on the interviews, let us know if you get any offers!

Was wondering (y12 med hopeful) what sort of places you’ve looked at for volunteering and work experience? Trying to apply to some now
Original post by study23!
Following your GYG now! Well done on the interviews, let us know if you get any offers!

Was wondering (y12 med hopeful) what sort of places you’ve looked at for volunteering and work experience? Trying to apply to some now

volunteering and work experience - my local hospital has programs for both so that was fairly straightforward, but if ur hospital doesn't u can still call their switchboard or email them about shadowing opportunities

volunteering u can ask for in care homes, hospices, special schools, disability holiday camps, disability groups, befriending elderly people in the community - u can ask ur local facebook group for opportunities

luckily my school lets us swap pe for volunteering so i just did that and volunteered in a primary school since start of y12

i've also done the bsms virtual work experience

Reply 14
Original post by reubenn05

volunteering and work experience - my local hospital has programs for both so that was fairly straightforward, but if ur hospital doesn't u can still call their switchboard or email them about shadowing opportunities

volunteering u can ask for in care homes, hospices, special schools, disability holiday camps, disability groups, befriending elderly people in the community - u can ask ur local facebook group for opportunities

luckily my school lets us swap pe for volunteering so i just did that and volunteered in a primary school since start of y12

i've also done the bsms virtual work experience

That’s a great list thanks - will look into these now

bio lesson - epigenetics

chem lesson - electrochemical cells

free period - did my german das leben der anderen hw (about the power and methods of the stasi)

another free period - wrote some bio notes about epigenetics because we didn't do any in class, started my stem cell bio presentation and german presentation about migration in austria

german lesson about das leben der anderen - just went over the homework really

went home and did daily anki review

made some anki flashcards for amines and the start of nervous coordination (action potentials)

gym for leg day

Hi how long would you say is a good amount of time to revise a day on average including if you had one free a day also would the free be included in the hours or separate.
Original post by lilysilly_5454
Hi how long would you say is a good amount of time to revise a day on average including if you had one free a day also would the free be included in the hours or separate.

hmm at this stage about 2-3 hours, if ur in y13, including your free period, but also depends if u need to catch up on any work at all. i don't think i do that many hours every day tho, but i should be sometime soon, it's just that i'm very busy with homework and other commitments atm

daily anki review

made some amines flashcards and control of gene expression flashcards about mutations

went to the gym for pull day

spent the whole afternoon co-hosting mock interviews for my healthcare charity

revised a bit of gcse chem on seneca to help with my tutoring

tutored gcse chem for an hour - redox, displacement, half equations

had a massive indian takeaway and went into a food coma after that so didnt do much for the rest of the evening

had 2 german lessons, one on andorra and on pros and cons of the eu

chem lesson on condensation polymers - polyesters and polyamides

bio lesson on speed of conduction of action potentials and synapses

free period - started my german presentation about integration of immigrants in austria, as well as my stem cell project for bio

daily anki review - covered a lot of cards, did roughly half an hour

tutored gcse chem for an hour - organic chem and moles

relaxed for the rest of the day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending