The Student Room Group

OCR MEI Statistics 1 (S1)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nicknickmac
omfg i did 14 as well :/ x

Oh infact, it was 5 questions from section A and 9 from section B, 14 is right :smile: x

oh, then i don't know what the **** i did, but i didn't get 3003 :frown:
Original post by louci
hey !!!!!
I totally agreee with everything u said !!!
Rejected h0
got that bionomial thing

an the 8%
was a total guess
for the i) i did 0.92*0.92*0.08
then the last paprt i think i did 1-(0.92^20)

the last blood coin question was hell wat did u do ????

for the last question u had to work out all the possibilities of 3 heads.. so u cud have 3 on the first go 0 next go 0 last go..
0,3,0 ... etc and u had 10 possibilities, then using the probability table u just calculated the probabilities and added them
Original post by Killki06
Oh lord. Were you doing OCR *MEI* ???

Yeah i was doing MEI.

so was the histogram about car engines?
Reply 123
Original post by sreddy17
for the last question u had to work out all the possibilities of 3 heads.. so u cud have 3 on the first go 0 next go 0 last go..
0,3,0 ... etc and u had 10 possibilities, then using the probability table u just calculated the probabilities and added them

urm welllllll
i don't think i got that .....
wat i did was that u used the value form the table and times it by 3
i know but that was my ladt minute resort !
Reply 124
Original post by alex7892
so it was 840/3003? people are scaring me with these figures. anyone can confirm this?

Yes, several of my friends did that and indeed some users here.
Original post by thegreenchildren
Yeah i was doing MEI.

yeahh x
Reply 126
Yeah i was doing MEI.

Yes the histogram was about the volume of car engines. :smile:
Oh yeah... for the last question I did the whole multiplying and adding of:
1, 1, 1
1, 2, 0
0, 0, 3
But I forgot to multiply each one by the number of ways each one can occur or something... is that definitely what you're meant to do? I always get so confused with these... but that does make sense... though wasn't it only 3 marks?

Also for the "show that" on q7, the 2-mark and the 4-mark, I got both the answers but I barely wrote anything... I just had a line of working for each, eg. the 4-mark I think I put:
0.6*0.5^4 + 4*0.4*0.5^4 = 1.375
or whatever the numbers were... think I'll still get the marks? What else did they possibly want us to write? :|

Oh, also, what did people put for the reason that the car engine tax thing wouldn't raise as much money as expected? I put that new engines would be made smaller to avoid having to pay the extra vehicle duty... :/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 128
Yeah i was doing MEI.

yes it was...
Did you check the front page? Was it the right paper!!?!
Original post by Deceptively
Oh yeah... for the last question I did the whole multiplying and adding of:
1, 1, 1
1, 2, 0
0, 0, 3
But I forgot to multiply each one by the number of ways each one can occur or something... is that definitely what you're meant to do? I always get so confused with these... but that does make sense... though wasn't it only 3 marks?

Also for the "show that" on q7, the 2-mark and the 4-mark, I got both the answers but I barely wrote anything... I just had a line of working for each, eg. the 4-mark I think I put:
0.6*0.5^4 + 4*0.4*0.5^4 = 1.375
or whatever the numbers were... think I'll still get the marks? What else did they possibly want us to write? :|

you MAY lose one mark and no 4 marks for last question... what did u get for variance and expectation?
Original post by mailman93
Yes the histogram was about the volume of car engines. :smile:

**** :shot:
you MAY lose one mark and no 4 marks for last question... what did u get for variance and expectation?

2.6 for E(X) and 8 for Var(X). Anyone else?
Reply 132
2.6 for E(X) and 8 for Var(X). Anyone else?

Wasn't Var(x) 8 - 2.6^2, = 1.24

Either that, or I did the 2.6^2 twice. :s-smilie:
Reply 133

I got 2.6 for E(x)

I got 8 - 2.6^2 for Var, which was 1.34 or something?
Oh, also, I didn't find it too bad as a paper. If someone has a copy of the paper, I can attempt to make a mark scheme this afternoon? Can't do it without a copy of the questions though; I can't remember them all...
Reply 135
Original post by Saif95
This was the hardest exam I've ever done...I feel dissapointed at the moment :frown:
maybe it wasn't hard but still, I flopped it.
I'll probably get an E if im lucky :frown:

Aaaahh maan I'm sorry to hear that, really- I just hope that it isn't your A2 year?

I feel, from talking to my friends and reading this thread and from doing all the past papers that this was indeed significantly harder.

June 2008 was quite hard- the grade boundary for an A was 53/72 , I think, which is very low at only 74%. I think that this paper had the harder types of questions from previous past papers.

For me the time constraint was ridiculous; an 8 mark hypothesis test AND a full on histogram AND a line or bar graph not to mention the huge figures regarding the car engine volumes require when calculating sum(x^2f) and sum(xf), etc.

Bummer.

So I think the grade boundaries will be even lower than 53/72

But that really depends on how most people felt about the timing and difficultly?
Original post by JackAA
Wasn't Var(x) 8 - 2.6^2, = 1.24

Either that, or I did the 2.6^2 twice. :s-smilie:

ye i got that
Reply 137
Oh, also, I didn't find it too bad as a paper. If someone has a copy of the paper, I can attempt to make a mark scheme this afternoon? Can't do it without a copy of the questions though; I can't remember them all...

Well, if we can trust you, deceptively, that would be pretty sweet :smile:

I suppose you're referring to the difficulty of questions? How about the timing?
Reply 138
Original post by mailman93
Aaaahh maan I'm sorry to hear that, really- I just hope that it isn't your A2 year?

I feel, from talking to my friends and reading this thread and from doing all the past papers that this was indeed significantly harder.

June 2008 was quite hard- the grade boundary for an A was 53/72 , I think, which is very low at only 74%. I think that this paper had the harder types of questions from previous past papers.

For me the time constraint was ridiculous; an 8 mark hypothesis test AND a full on histogram AND a line or bar graph not to mention the huge figures regarding the car engine volumes require when calculating sum(x^2f) and sum(xf), etc.

Bummer.

So I think the grade boundaries will be even lower than 53/72

But that really depends on how most people felt about the timing and difficultly?

^this (I hope).

I got consistent 85-95% on all past papers without use of ms or external help... I honestly think I have gotten a maximum of 40/72 on this. Definitely a hard paper!
Reply 139
What did people put for the binomial one... on section A...

I think it was with X - B(30, 0.05) or something?

The probability that 29 greater than*
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending