The Student Room Group

According to economist article, Jews are genetically superior

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by KingMessi
This is of course true; however, would you deny that 'Education' isn't just a process designed to confer knowledge; a good education also promotes a certain way of lateral thinking that may be conducive to higher scores in an I.Q. test?

This is correct, a child exposed to an intellectually stimulating background's brain might permanently structure itself in a way which makes the child more able to process data, giving the child a higher IQ, this means that IQ is highly valid but but also highly changable.
Reply 61
Original post by Hypocrism
The first article points out a correlation between intelligence and success, and parental socio-economic status and success. That isn't equivalent to a correlation between intelligence and socio-economic status. There hasn't been sufficient time spent co-evolving for something as complicated and important as intelligence to develop further in one class than another, and probably not between races either..
Huh? IQ differences between classes and between different ethnic groups are known to exist and are totally noncontroversial. The controversial part is which way causality points: is it that IQ is caused by social factors, so that (eg) upper class kids only have higher IQs because they have access to better education, or is it that high IQ results in people moving up through the class ladder (ie does social class create IQ differences, or does IQ explain social class). The two papers I cited were arguing the second point which (afaik) is becoming the most likely explanation.
(edited 11 years ago)
In this thread:

Anecdotal Evidence - Check
Pseudoscience - Check
Mindless Bigotry - Check
Confusion over the nature of intelligence - Check
The same old IQ debate that we see at least five times per day - Check

Just to complete the set, I'm going to invoke Godwin's law.

Wasn't there a fella in Germany who had some interesting ideas about Jews and their genetic capability?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by TheHansa
This is correct, a child exposed to an intellectually stimulating background's brain might permanently structure itself in a way which makes the child more able to process data, giving the child a higher IQ, this means that IQ is highly valid but but also highly changable.

yes, higher IQ but not intelligence.. Did you watch "what makes a genius" on the BBC a few years ago, even on there it stated people are born intelligent, people like to think they can become smarter but they can't... not even a mention of IQ tests, because they are so inadequate/BS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81bQEoyzHg
Reply 64
I'm not sure on which point we disagree...:confused:

i don't think we do... IQ test score = environment.
How do you explain Amy Winehouse?
Reply 66
Original post by SexyNerd
yes, higher IQ but not intelligence.. Did you watch "what makes a genius" on the BBC a few years ago, even on there it stated people are born intelligent, people like to think they can become smarter but they can't... not even a mention of IQ tests, because they are so inadequate/BS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81bQEoyzHg
This is totally false (as are your previous posts), IQ is accepted by the majority of researchers as both being a good proxy for intelligence, and having a significant genetic component. See the following, which was a consensus statement put out and signed by several big names in the field: http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/reprints/1997mainstream.pdf

Please dont cite newspaper articles or TV shows as evidence, journalists generally have very little idea about science.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 67
IQ is meant to measure intellectual ability, not acquired knowledge. Hence "Intelligence" Quotient, not "Education" Quotient.

yes, but they have been discredited. I know people who have the same IQ as Einstein supposedly had, they may be the same in terms of IQ but certainly not intelligence.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TheHansa

Is there any valid, reliable empirical evidence that would support that hypothesis? My suggestion was rather more nebulous (as 'lateral thinking' inevitably has to be to an extent), but if it could be supported that would be wonderful.

Calling I.Q. 'highly valid' is surely contradicted by the suggestion that it's both subject to socioeconomic factors and changeable? Of course, that's predicated on the assumption that I.Q. is designed to test a fixed 'intelligence level' that shouldn't change over time...
Reply 69
Original post by poohat
You have no idea what youre talking about, IQ is accepted by pretty much all researchers as being a good proxy for intellligence. See the following, which was a consensus statement put out and signed by several big names in the field: http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/reprints/1997mainstream.pdf

Please dont cite newspaper articles or TV shows as evidence, journalists generally have very little idea about science.

have you checked the date of that article, its 15 years old!

like I said, the last straw "white" supremacists like to cling on to.

They're articles by psychologists and a documentary that features many scientists...

ad hominem

how about you attack the argument rather than the source.
Reply 70
yes, but they have been discredited. I know people who have the same IQ Einstein supposedly had, the may be the same in terms of IQ but certainly not intelligence.

They could well be on the same level in terms of intelligence. Einstein obviously had a lot of acquired knowledge because to be at the top of physics you need to have learnt physics theory, which is not intelligence. Of course he needed the extremely high levels of intelligence as well, that are evident when we look at his IQ, but in addition he needed levels of knowledge from education that would seem even more astronomical than his slightly high IQ. In other words, Einstein's achievements are due to his intelligence AND knowledge, which is why people with the same IQ haven't founded a theory of physics-they don't have the knowledge. (And, the physics scene is much more saturated these days, which is also relevant.)
Reply 71
yes, but they have been discredited. I know people who have the same IQ as Einstein supposedly had, they may be the same in terms of IQ but certainly not intelligence.

What was your evidence that they aren't as intelligent as Einstein? That they didn't come up with Relativity? He already did that. Maybe their hair wasn't straggly and they weren't balding?
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
In this thread:

Anecdotal Evidence - Check
Pseudoscience - Check
Mindless Bigotry - Check
Confusion over the nature of intelligence - Check
The same old IQ debate that we see at least five times per day - Check

Just to complete the set, I'm going to invoke Godwin's law.

Wasn't there a fella in Germany who had some interesting ideas about Jews and their genetic capability?

In this thread:
People who ignore mountains of evidence in favour of closing their eyes, putting their fingers in their ears and screaming "blah blah blah I can't hear you" in order to maintain a dated 20th century notion of equality between the races.

EDIT: check.
Reply 73
have you checked the date of that article, its 15 years old!

Nothing has changed since then, pretty much all statements in that article are even more strongly supported today than they were 15 years ago.

The guardian article gives no evidence whatsoever, it just claims that IQ tests are discredited (they arent) and that psychologists no longer trust them (which is a lie).

Here is a general hint: whenever you hear someone claim that X has been 'discredited' without either giving an explanation or citing something convincing, they are usually either being dishonest or dont know what theyre talking about.

As an aside, the tests which were used in that TV show will be very weakly correlated with IQ, since they partly assess knowledge and numerical reasoning. The state-of-the-art for IQ testing is either Raven's Progressive Matrices (which are pattern inference tests requiring no specific knowledge, including language), and reaction time tests. Both have been shown to have a very low degree of cultural bias, are very strongly correlated with IQ, and performance on these has a high degrees of genetic heritability.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
They could well be on the same level in terms of intelligence. Einstein obviously had a lot of acquired knowledge because to be at the top of physics you need to have learnt physics theory, which is not intelligence. Of course he needed the extremely high levels of intelligence as well, that are evident when we look at his IQ, but in addition he needed levels of knowledge from education that would seem even more astronomical than his slightly high IQ. In other words, Einstein's achievements are due to his intelligence AND knowledge, which is why people with the same IQ haven't founded a theory of physics-they don't have the knowledge. (And, the physics scene is much more saturated these days, which is also relevant.)

no, my friends are not as intelligent, just because a discredited tests says so. look how desperate you are to cling on to this.

no, his high intelligence is obvious in what he achieved, not in his IQ.

knowledge is something we can all acquire but intelligence is something we are born with...

i think you need to watch that documentary "what makes a genius" and its certainly not a high IQ.
Reply 75
kiss me i'm jewish.
Reply 76
Original post by poohat
Nothing has changed since then, pretty much all statements in that article are even more strongly supported today than they were 15 years ago.

clearly not, considering I've provided more recent articles.

The guardian article gives no evidence whatsoever, it just claims that IQ tests are discredited (they arent) and that psychologists no longer use them (which is a lie).

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21760201/Discredited-Psychological-Treatments-and-Tests

Here is a general hint: whenever you hear someone claim that X has been 'discredited' without either giving an explanation or citing something convincing, they are usually either being dishonest or dont know what theyre talking about.

As an aside, the tests which were used in that TV show will be very weakly correlated with IQ, since they assess knowledge. The state-of-the-art for IQ testing is either Raven's Progressive Matrices (which are pattern inference tests requiring no specific knowledge), and reaction time tests. Both have been shown to have a very low degree of cultural bias, are very strongly correlated with IQ, and performance on these has a high degrees of genetic heritability.

no, its a horizon documentary exploring what makes a genius, and they don't use tests. maybe a correlation with IQ but how are they correlated with intelligence. The only thing that can be is mathematics.
Reply 77
Also your claim about white supremacism is nonsensical given that this thread has only been discussing how Jews (and East Asians) probably have higher IQs than Europeans.
If Jews are smart because they've been persecuted then why aren't Africans? Apart from Native Americans or Aboriginal Australians, Africans have been persecuted more and i dont exactly see any intellectual achievements by Africans.
Reply 79
Is there any valid, reliable empirical evidence that would support that hypothesis? My suggestion was rather more nebulous (as 'lateral thinking' inevitably has to be to an extent), but if it could be supported that would be wonderful.

Calling I.Q. 'highly valid' is surely contradicted by the suggestion that it's both subject to socioeconomic factors and changeable? Of course, that's predicated on the assumption that I.Q. is designed to test a fixed 'intelligence level' that shouldn't change over time...

I've read a great deal of studies supporting this I'll link what I can find

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20400-pesticide-exposure-in-the-womb-may-lower-iq.html

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/02/junk-food-diet-lowers-children.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18324572.600-music-studies-instrumental-in-raising-childrens-iq.html

^I'm such a populist :awesome:^

I'm sure you've heard of the Flynn effect (not tryina be patronising just cba to find a link) but what is most interesting about it is that the gains of this effect are in fact, not in the areas which can be learned or revised for but are the most g-loaded, the population has experienced a real increase in fluid (the sort which can be applied to any cognitively demanding task) intelligence, which has been too big in too short a time to be genetic in origin.

I wouldn't say it's a contradiction, favourable conditions for a person during the right time in that person's life can and does affect how able they are to pick up new and totally alien skills which require intelligence, in adulthood and exactly how intelligent that person has become by adulthood can be accurately measured using a professional quality IQ test. IQ is a valid measurement of this because of its correlation with the sorts of jobs you'd expect it to correlate with as well as how reliably it predicts success on achievement tests
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending