The Student Room Group

Tips on essay question - population - please translate into english for me?!

I have been given the following title to do...
"consider whether it is in a society's long term better interests to make provision for an ageing society too 'comfortable'. do practical issues outweight the moralities of individualism?'

I don't get it at all but its in for tomorrow if anyone could give any suggestions as to what its looking for? ive done some research behind it but most of what ive found is that its in a society's long term better interests to encourage old people to work? surely thats not making it comfortbale for them. please help! it only has to be 400 words, thanks to anyone who can give me ideas :frown:
Reply 1
I think that the first sentance is looking at the idea of when you have good pensions, and a good health and welfare system etc. In the long term therefore, this would be costly to maintain and means that older members may become over reliant on a state system and so not contribute towards a private scheme for example. You could probably look at it from the point of view of an older person (ie 65 and over) or from the state perspective.

In the second half I guess the practical issues are things like money and whether the costs involved are so high that that society does not act so reponsibly for them.

The UK could be a good example. In the past, estimates of the ageing population for now were grossly miscalculated. The result being that not enough money was put aside and now there isn't enough. If our pensions system wasn't as good, maybe people would have saved personally.
Reply 2
Ageing populations can be defined as a greater proportion (strain on tax system, dependency ratios etc.) or as an increase in life expectancy (eg. the average age is older, people in general are older)

Another idea. Who has to pay to make it more 'comfortable' for an aging population? If it means a tax increase, the majority of society is unlikely to be in favour.

Latest

Trending

Trending