The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Chemistry 24th May 2012 C1 C2 C3

How was it? Does anyone have an unofficial mark scheme?

For the thread on the OCR Gateway Biology 21st May exam--> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2006071

OCR Gateway Physics 30th May exam -->http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2016921&p=37840357#post37840357
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

So easy!!! Hoping for full UMS!!! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Same! :smile:

But there was one question I wasn't too sure about- the question on why drainpipes are used for water? I wrote pipes are rigid and do not dissolve in water
Reply 3
Original post by bobbricks

But there was one question I wasn't too sure about- the question on why drainpipes are used for water? I wrote pipes are rigid and do not dissolve in water

I put that as well:P

I wrote about water not wearing it away and corrosion/erosion... I said it was low density so lightweight :/ oops..
Reply 5

Wait, what section was that in? Because I think I might have misread it-or skipped it entirely? I cannot remember anything about drains at all-just about polystyrene cups.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by milworthy
Wait, what section was that in? Because I think I might have misread it-or skipped it entirely? I cannot remember anything about drains at all-just about polystyrene cups.

It was in C2 and there was a picture of a drainpipe. It asked why the polymer used was suitable for its purpose or something like that (maybe someone else could elaborate) :smile:
omgg this exam was great! Hoping not to jinx it but I think I did quite well :smile:
Reply 8
It was in C2 and there was a picture of a drainpipe. It asked why the polymer used was suitable for its purpose or something like that (maybe someone else could elaborate) :smile:

Ok, like how many marks was it? Was it the advantages of steel over aluminium?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Ok, like how many marks was it? Was it the advantages of steel over aluminium?

No it was a few questions before it...It was two marks. :cool:
Reply 10
No it was a few questions before it...It was two marks. :cool:

And was that the only question, I am scared I missed a double page. Wait were you doing foundation or higher?
Reply 11
Hii guys. My friends found the paper hard:rolleyes: But i found it alright. What did you guys say about which fuel to choose? and among the last question why use a paraffin stove :wink:
Reply 12
And was that the only question, I am scared I missed a double page. Wait were you doing foundation or higher?

Higher. And you? I'm sure you didn't miss it- you probably don't remember it. I have some friends who completely forget all of the questions after they leave the exam hall. :wink:

If someone can provide a list of questions in the C2 section, you might be able to spot whether you missed out some questions. Unfortunately, I don't remember all of those questions. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by bossun
Hii guys. My friends found the paper hard:rolleyes: But i found it alright. What did you guys say about which fuel to choose? and among the last question why use a paraffin stove :wink:

I said they should use ethanol since it showed the highest temperature change and had the highest mass of fuel burned so it released the most energy.
I said they should use ethanol since it showed the highest temperature change and had the highest mass of fuel burned so it released the most energy.

No, it was paraffin because per unit which I said could be 0.6g it released 2.5x more energy than ethanol and petrol... So unless it was 2.5x more expensive it is the most sensible choice. :smile:
It was very easy :awesome: Like 10 marks for balancing equations :biggrin:
For the Caliometric Experiment... When it asked for energy transfer... Of temperature x s.h.c x mass... Is it the mass of water or mass of fuel? I used the mass of water...

Paraffin had the greatest ratio between temperature change and mass combusted, meaning it released the most energy :smile:
Original post by shadab786ahmed
For the Caliometric Experiment... When it asked for energy transfer... Of temperature x s.h.c x mass... Is it the mass of water or mass of fuel? I used the mass of water...

That's right. The SHC is the energy required to raise 1g of water by 1 degree, so you have to multiply it by 100g to get the energy transferred into 100g of water. But because the mass of the fuel consumed was 0.6g, and the answer needed to be J/g, you needed to multiply the energy transfer by 1.66...
Reply 19
Original post by shadab786ahmed
No, it was paraffin because per unit which I said could be 0.6g it released 2.5x more energy than ethanol and petrol... So unless it was 2.5x more expensive it is the most sensible choice. :smile:

So are you saying you worked out the energy released per gram for each fuel?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending