Reply 100
Original post by science-oliver
i'm only going off the specification and it says state the
advantages of a pyramid of numbers
advantages of a pyramid of biomass

I know pyramid of biomass, shows the mass of the organism
the size of the organism
and can show the energy at each level

However what are the advantages of a pyramid of numbers and are their any other advantages of a pyramid of biomass?

Pyramids of biomass show the TRANSFER of energy aswell.
Pyramids of numbers are simple to produce cos u can just count them.
Reply 101
Original post by theworld
Can anyone please help me with what i need to get for A/A* in the 7's?? It would be much appreciated..

B123= 41/50
B456= 38/50
C/W = 36/40

C123= 44/50
C456= 38/50
C/W= 34/40 (IT WENT DOWN FROM 36 :angry:)

P123= 38/50
P456 =37/50
C/W = 35 OR 36/40

Please help.. :confused:

For biology:
i remember my teacher saying it was 34 for an A* in your coursework so lets assume thats worth 94(ish) ums

41 + 38 + 94 = 173 ums out of 300 so far
You need 270 for an A* or 240 for an A overall

So you need 67 ums (Which is a high C) in B7 for an A overall or 97 ums (Which is a high A*) for an A* overall.

For physics:

I cant really help because i have no idea what the grade boundaries for coursework are atm

For chemistry:

I dont do ocr chemistry soz :frown:
Can anyone please help me with what i need to get for A/A* in the 7's?? It would be much appreciated..

B123= 41/50
B456= 38/50
C/W = 36/40

C123= 44/50
C456= 38/50

P123= 38/50
P456 =37/50
C/W = 35 OR 36/40

Using last year's coursework grade boundaries:

Biology: 41+38+93 = 172 UMS
To get an A = 240-172 = 68 UMS (high C)
To get an A* = 270-172 = 98 UMS (high A*)

Chemistry: 44+38+90 = 172 UMS
To get an A = 240-172 = 68 UMS (high C)
To get an A* = 270-172 = 98 UMS (high A*)

Physics: 38+37+92/93 = 167/168 UMS
To get an A = 240-167/168 = 72/73 (low B)
To get an A* = 270-167/168 = 102/103 (not possible as max. is 100)

Keep in mind that I used last year's coursework grade boundaries and it might change by a few marks higher or lower this year.

Hope this helps!
(edited 11 years ago)

B123= 41/50
B456= 38/50
C/W = 36/40

C123= 44/50
C456= 38/50

P123= 38/50
P456 =37/50
C/W = 35 OR 36/40

For biology u cant get an A* (u needd 101)
You need 71 for an A though
In chemistry you need 73 for an A. and you cant get an A* (u need 103)
For physics you need 75 for an A overall and u cant get an A*

THis is just an esitimate though. The boundaries can come down every year. So fingers crossed :P
Original post by science-oliver
i'm only going off the specification and it says state the
advantages of a pyramid of numbers
advantages of a pyramid of biomass

I know pyramid of biomass, shows the mass of the organism
the size of the organism
and can show the energy at each level

However what are the advantages of a pyramid of numbers and are their any other advantages of a pyramid of biomass?

advantages of pyramid of numbers
-They are simple to produce - yOu just count the number of organisms at each level.
Advantages of pyramid of biomass
- They give a fairly accurate indication of the amount of energy at each level in teh food chain. They are always a pyramdial shape.
Reply 105
Aw man that is bad :frown: i screwed up.. thank you people! What would amount to about 97/98 UMS in raw marks for the 7's.. out of /55, approximately? or according to last years boundaries?
Chemistry is quite low: last year, 31/55 for an A* and 37/55 for full UMS. Physics is also quite low: 34/55 for an A* and 41/55 for full UMS. Biology is quite higher than Chemistry and Physics: 42/55 for an A* and 50/55 for full UMS.

Getting full UMS is not impossible, you just need to put in a lot of work. That said, the boundaries vary year on year. Let's hope for low boundaries this year! :smile:
Reply 107
Hey guys, normally I can work things out by myself in terms of biology and chemistry,
but this question has got me REALLY stumbled, to the point my textbook cant help :frown:
Can anyone go through this exam question as I just don't get why in the mark scheme
it goes: a) CO2 b) Light c) Temperature
bioques.PNG
Reply 108
Original post by Aidn
Hey guys, normally I can work things out by myself in terms of biology and chemistry,
but this question has got me REALLY stumbled, to the point my textbook cant help :frown:
Can anyone go through this exam question as I just don't get why in the mark scheme
it goes: a) CO2 b) Light c) Temperature
bioques.PNG

I'll try and explain this as well as I can, if you don't understand just tell me :smile: :

The limiting factor limits the rate of photosynthesis- It stops it from going any faster, right?

We know that at the end of line where A is labelled there is a low light intensity. If CO2 is very high, the line still won't climb. This means the light is limiting the rate of photosynthesis because there is nothing else that can limit the rate other than that . However A is labelled at the start of the graph, where the line is STILL CLIMBING. the point A is lower than the rest of the line which means that there is something else limiting the rate of photosynthesis before low light intensity is. It must be CO2 because if you look where point A is, the concentration of CO2 is low.

For point B, there is medium light intensity. point B is labelled where the line is not climbing, that means it cannot go any faster because there is something limiting it. It cannot be CO2 because the CO2 concentration is higher compared to point A, and it cannot be temperature either. It must be light because the light intensity is medium and not high. The light intensity COULD be increased, so that must be the limiting factor.

for C, again, point C is placed where the line is constant, it doesn't climb. That means that CO2 is not the limiting factor because the concentration is high, not low like at point A. Neither is light because the light intensity is HIGH. That means there is ENOUGH light and CO2, so the only other factor that could stop the line from climbing (stop the rate going any faster) is temperature.

I hope I have helped. If you're unsure, tell me which part :smile:
Original post by L_Vieru
I'll try and explain this as well as I can, if you don't understand just tell me :smile: :

The limiting factor limits the rate of photosynthesis- It stops it from going any faster, right?

We know that at the end of line where A is labelled there is a low light intensity. If CO2 is very high, the line still won't climb. This means the light is limiting the rate of photosynthesis because there is nothing else that can limit the rate other than that . However A is labelled at the start of the graph, where the line is STILL CLIMBING. the point A is lower than the rest of the line which means that there is something else limiting the rate of photosynthesis before low light intensity is. It must be CO2 because if you look where point A is, the concentration of CO2 is low.

For point B, there is medium light intensity. point B is labelled where the line is not climbing, that means it cannot go any faster because there is something limiting it. It cannot be CO2 because the CO2 concentration is higher compared to point A, and it cannot be temperature either. It must be light because the light intensity is medium and not high. The light intensity COULD be increased, so that must be the limiting factor.

for C, again, point C is placed where the line is constant, it doesn't climb. That means that CO2 is not the limiting factor because the concentration is high, not low like at point A. Neither is light because the light intensity is HIGH. That means there is ENOUGH light and CO2, so the only other factor that could stop the line from climbing (stop the rate going any faster) is temperature.

I hope I have helped. If you're unsure, tell me which part :smile:

Why can't it be temperature for point B? Sorry I just reeaallyy don't get limiting factors :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 110
Original post by Problematique
Why can't it be temperature for point B? Sorry I just reeaallyy don't get limiting factors :/

It's okay. It's a really tough question to answer.
It's because point C is the temperature because there is nothing else that can be limiting it other than the temperature. If you compare point C to B you would see that B cannot be temperature, there must be something else that is limiting the rate before the temperature because point B is lower than point C.

What you do to answer this question is you constantly compare the lines together, compare C to B, B to A, etc and work out which one limits what. If you didn't compare the lines it would be very hard to work out. IF you compare B to C you would see that at C there is nothing else limiting the rate other than temperature. Because point B is lower than point C that means there is something else limiting the rate before temperature does

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Do we need to know about vaccinations for this exam? :confused: My teacher said something about it, but I don't see anything about them in the b7 part of the textbook...
Original post by yugiohtheawesome
Do we need to know about vaccinations for this exam? :confused: My teacher said something about it, but I don't see anything about them in the b7 part of the textbook...

Nope. I dont think you have too. It might be usefull if u do..
Original post by Freddy-Francis
Nope. I dont think you have too. It might be usefull if u do..

Thanks :biggrin: I'm not learning about vaccinations if I don't have to, my brain's already saturated with biology, philosophy, and history. How I'm going to survive this week I don't know :frown:
Reply 114
Original post by L_Vieru
It's a bit off topic but which which topics are you doing in History? Treaty of Versailles, League of Nations, Road to Ww2, Nazi Germany by any chance?

Naa sorry, done that last year, im doing America from 1910 -1955 and America 1955 - present (i think i got the dates wrong) with WJEC
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with what I need to get to get an A or A* overall for each science?

B123 = 45/50
B456 = 42/50
C/W = 36/40

C123 = 42/50
C456 = 43/50
C/W = 32/40

P123 = 40/50
P456 = 48/50
C/W = Unsure, we did two courseworks (one case study and one data analysis)

Help would be much appreciated :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 116
Original post by joe1545
Naa sorry, done that last year, im doing America from 1910 -1955 and America 1955 - present (i think i got the dates wrong) with WJEC

Oh right. Was it mega-super-complicated? :P
Original post by joe1545

I'm doing the origins of the cold war, the crisis of the cold war and the failure of détente :biggrin: Fun times!
Original post by L_Vieru
It's okay. It's a really tough question to answer.
It's because point C is the temperature because there is nothing else that can be limiting it other than the temperature. If you compare point C to B you would see that B cannot be temperature, there must be something else that is limiting the rate before the temperature because point B is lower than point C.

What you do to answer this question is you constantly compare the lines together, compare C to B, B to A, etc and work out which one limits what. If you didn't compare the lines it would be very hard to work out. IF you compare B to C you would see that at C there is nothing else limiting the rate other than temperature. Because point B is lower than point C that means there is something else limiting the rate before temperature does

:smile:

ahh can't tell you how grateful I am! Actually understand this. Wish I could rate you but I'm out for today :frown:
Hi guys, just working through the spec and revision guide making flash cards and in B7.7 I'm struggling! The revision guide doesn't have half the stuff that the spec asks for and our teacher only went through 'RICE' and the types of joints very briefly. Can anyone help?

1. Why must personal medical and fitness information be recorded, stored and made available to other people on the health or fitness practitioner team?
2. What ways can you monitor a person's progress during treatment/fitness training and after it is complete?
3. Why is accurate record keeping during treatment/fitness training essential?
4. What does it mean by 'Understand that any assessment of progress needs to take into account the accuracy of the monitoring technique and the reliability of the data obtained?

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending