The Student Room Group

Eng. A2 Coursework - 21st Century Books to compare with The Picture of Dorian Gray?

Hello!

I'm going into my second year of A-Levels next year, under the CCEA exam board. I want to do Wilde's 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' as part of my A2 Coursework, but I'm struggling to find a twenty-first century book to compare it to. I considered The Goldfinch - which admittedly IS a good comparison - but it's also quite long and not truly ideal for a book I have to read multiple times in a short time span, and I was wondering if anyone knew any other possibilities.

Themes I'd be interested in exploring include friendship, narcissism, hedonism and sin, etc.
Reply 1
Original post by EDEM0978
Hello!

I'm going into my second year of A-Levels next year, under the CCEA exam board. I want to do Wilde's 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' as part of my A2 Coursework, but I'm struggling to find a twenty-first century book to compare it to. I considered The Goldfinch - which admittedly IS a good comparison - but it's also quite long and not truly ideal for a book I have to read multiple times in a short time span, and I was wondering if anyone knew any other possibilities.

Themes I'd be interested in exploring include friendship, narcissism, hedonism and sin, etc.

Does it have to be 21st century?
Reply 2
Original post by Loladee
Does it have to be 21st century?

Yup. Trust me, I wish it wasn't. There's so many books from other periods that make for decent comparisons - The Great Gatsby, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, etc.
But nope. Has to be twenty first century. I think it's a ridiculous requirement, but a requirement nonetheless.
I realise there's not many options, which is why I thought I'd ask here. Worst comes to worst, I'll change book.
Reply 3
Yup. Trust me, I wish it wasn't. There's so many books from other periods that make for decent comparisons - The Great Gatsby, The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, etc.
But nope. Has to be twenty first century. I think it's a ridiculous requirement, but a requirement nonetheless.
I realise there's not many options, which is why I thought I'd ask here. Worst comes to worst, I'll change book.

That's a shame. Unfortunately I'm not very useful as my reading primarily consists of pre-2000 lit, but someone in my class compared 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' to Khaled Hosseini's 'The Kite Runner'. Perhaps you could explore the theme of friendship (specifically male) in both texts, though it may be a stretch. Good luck anyhow!
Reply 4
Original post by Loladee
That's a shame. Unfortunately I'm not very useful as my reading primarily consists of pre-2000 lit, but someone in my class compared 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' to Khaled Hosseini's 'The Kite Runner'. Perhaps you could explore the theme of friendship (specifically male) in both texts, though it may be a stretch. Good luck anyhow!

Hey, anything at all helps. I'll look into it!
Try a gothic novella from the 21st century maybe? Sadly I was gonna recommend one but it was twentieth century (1976) 😳
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Figureitout12
Try a gothic novella from the 21st century maybe? Sadly I was gonna recommend one but it was twentieth century (1976) 😳

Ooh, I had a look at a few, but would be grateful for anymore recommendations!

I considered Sarah Perry's 'Melmoth' and 'The Essex Serpent', if anyone's read those? Or even any that would fit.
(edited 2 years ago)
Maybe Han Kang's The Vegetarian (possibly a bit of a long shot, plus it's in translation, but can explore themes of self-destruction, hedonism v austerity, morality and relationships). Ocean Vuong's On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous also comes to mind but I read a while ago so can't say more than "it might vibe". Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go is from 2005, if you can think of a way to meld them.

Having a look at modern horror/sci fi is definitely a potential shout, can't think of anything off the top of my head but maybe check out the Bram Stoker awards or Hugo/Nebulas and see if anything seems to fit. Authors often have short stories online you can check out.

I'm sure you will find something :smile:
Hello!

Hi!
I was wondering what you chose as I want to do 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' next year for A2 but I have no idea what book to choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending