The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being physically attractive is a good thing!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by R4INBOW
Woah dude, your actually stealing my material here :tongue: Earlier I told YOU to go and conduct a survey of your own on society's view of size 16, and now you tell me to do my own? :rolleyes: Typical, so you didn't even acknowledge my earlier posts. Oh well I suppose. :wink: I've met my fair share of people, who I would say have a conflicting opinion to yours, however, that doesn't make what they're saying valid. Size 16 is not what I would deem fat (bingo wings, monster thighs etc) The whole concept of body shape is complex and differs for every person. To deem a whole category of people fat is just ludicrous in my opinion and saying that they won't catch the attention of attractive guys is even more far fetched. I sympathise with the girls you date. God forbid your partner ever gained weight.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

The majority of the time, I'd imagine size 16 is overweight... Not unattractive by any means.
Reply 381
Original post by zKlown
The majority of the time, I'd imagine size 16 is overweight... Not unattractive by any means.

Yh it can be, sometimes it's not. I agree it depends on the person. But the OP is saying that size 16s will struggle to attract guys. That's absolute bull****.

Reply 382
Original post by R4INBOW
Yh it can be, sometimes it's not. I agree it depends on the person. But the OP is saying that size 16s will struggle to attract guys. That's absolute bull****.

That is true tbh

Most girls won't have trouble attracting guys tbh
Original post by im so academic
I agree with you OP - appearance is the most important thing.

I say we scrap the education we have now and the academic side should just be about the basics of English and Maths with a new curriculum that places a lot of emphasis on appearance and how you present yourself to others, e.g. *hours* of sport every day and elocution lessons.

You can only study academic subjects if you are deemed "good enough" for the opposite sex.

Who actually gives a **** about you if you're not beautiful? It's the truth.

I bet I'm going to get a lot of posts saying about "it's not the most important thing", "it's personality that counts". But who will the posts be written by? Women and desperate men.

Any decent man would want a hot girl.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A lot of men just want a woman they can get on with who is easy going, makes an effort with her appearance and scrubs up alright when they go out together.

Some men actually prefer chubbier girls too. Just like some women prefer slightly chubbier men.

I personally find intelligence quite attractive so long as they aren't cocky or annoying with it.
Original post by R4INBOW

I agree. I'm 5 ft 2 and a size 12-14 because I'm naturally very curvy with huge boobs, big hips and a tiny waist. I'm not a 16 but I'm nearer to that than I am a size 6 and I've never had a problem attracting men.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
You also hear men saying that they aren't. It's completely subjective.

Who are these men? Desperate and obese men?
Reply 386
In other news, the sun will also rise tomorrow.
Reply 387
Original post by kristol90
In other news, the sun will also rise tomorrow.

Proof required in this thread tbh
Reply 388
Original post by barnetbuzzzz
What exactly am I ignoring?

I've acknowledged that beauty is subjective, but that some people are perceived as beautiful more than others. These people are usually not fat.

She keeps insisting that size 16 girls are not fat, and are not perceived as less attractive than their size 10 counterparts. Which is, to put it bluntly, ridiculous.

Anybody who's ever left the house will realise that slim girls have a better chance of attracting good looking guys than fat girls. To deny this shows that you are either a recluse or one of those people that insists nothing can be true unless there is peer-reviewed evidence to back it up. Which is a justified position to take in some circumstances, but not this one.

Let's back up for a minute.

1) What is 'fat' according to you?

2) Do you say that a slimmer girl will usually attract more attention than someone who is heavier than her?

3) What does all this have to do with the article you posted? It was about kids with body-image issues. Why can't they do both, promote health and combat body dysmorphic disorder?

4) All she was saying was that making such an absolutist statement about a subjective concept should be backed up by evidence.
Who are these men? Desperate and obese men?

Lol many people look for more than a body and many are willing to take other facets than having a good body. Sorry you ate too shallow to but not everyone is like you and puts all importance on looks.

In all honesty, I am shocked at the amount of people who deny that size 16 is fat and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I believe size 12 is fat - because that is seen as fat by many men. Only fat women and desperate men think that size 16 is fine.
Lol many people look for more than a body and many are willing to take other facets than having a good body. Sorry you ate too shallow to but not everyone is like you and puts all importance on looks.

I'm not shallow, and neither men are shallow for wanting a hot girl. But I'm not hot, so I'll never get a boyfriend.
Reply 392
When you're young and you can change partners every five minutes, the OP is probably not far off the mark.

In the real world, you aren't going to get far just judging by looks though.
Anyone who co-inhabits, gets married, tries to sustain an emotional connection, or the like, with someone just because they "look hot" is going to get burned, *big time*.
That's the stuff that relationship failure and messy divorces are made of.
Am I missing something?

Of course, it's a good thing to be physically attractive. What is there to debate about?

confused.png
Original post by R4INBOW
Woah dude, your actually stealing my material here :tongue: Earlier I told YOU to go and conduct a survey of your own on society's view of size 16, and now you tell me to do my own? :rolleyes: Typical, so you didn't even acknowledge my earlier posts. Oh well I suppose. :wink: I've met my fair share of people, who I would say have a conflicting opinion to yours, however, that doesn't make what they're saying valid. Size 16 is not what I would deem fat (bingo wings, monster thighs etc) The whole concept of body shape is complex and differs for every person. To deem a whole category of people fat is just ludicrous in my opinion and saying that they won't catch the attention of attractive guys is even more far fetched. I sympathise with the girls you date. God forbid your partner ever gained weight.

Here's my survey: over 80% think size 16 is fat. Fail.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2020882
Reply 395
In all honesty, I am shocked at the amount of people who deny that size 16 is fat and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

I believe size 12 is fat - because that is seen as fat by many men. Only fat women and desperate men think that size 16 is fine.

You think size 12 is fat? Seriously, I don't want to spark another debate here, but that's just ludicrous. Do you need people to look emancipated before they can be considered desirable in men's eyes?

Original post by ThatPerson
Actually if I had the choice between an size 8 unemployed person and a obese doctor I would chose neither. You're looking at 2 extreme ends of the scale. Also, why would you want someone who is unemployed by choice(if it was out of their hands I could sympathise.

How is being Size 8 an extreme :confused:. I'm size 8 and perfectly fine.
Original post by R4INBOW
You think size 12 is fat? Seriously, I don't want to spark another debate here, but that's just ludicrous. Do you need people to look emancipated before they can be considered desirable in men's eyes?

I think it's fat because other people think it's fat.

No, you need to be slim and skinny to be considered desirable in men's eyes. This means very little fat on your legs and having a thigh gap.
Reply 398

Obviously your fingers are too fat to accurately type out your semicoherent sentences so we can safely discard all you say as a biased view of a chubby person. By the way, have you heard about this thing called evolution? All your moral arguments can be explained by it.
Reply 399
Original post by barnetbuzzzz
Here's my survey: over 80% think size 16 is fat. Fail.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2020882

God, your still here? Yes, because a forum that's dominated by youths gives us an accurate representation of society's view on size 16. A survey that was conducted ignoring the basic scientific principles that are needed to make it fair (I.e: large sample sizes, different age groups, equal sample sizes in the age groups etc) really validates your opinion. Great logic, well done -__-

Latest

Trending

Trending