The Student Room Group

Exact value of arctan[1+sqrt(2)]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nuodai
In fact all you need is the first identity.

The second identity is a hint to the easier way to express it as tanπ2n=22+2++22+2+2++2\tan\frac{\pi}{2^n} = \sqrt{\frac{2 - \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2 + \cdots + \sqrt{2}}}}{2 + \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2 + \cdots + \sqrt{2}}}}} where there are n1n - 1 twos under the radical.
Reply 21
Original post by jack.hadamard
The second identity is a hint to the easier way to express it as tanπ2n=22+2++22+2+2++2\tan\frac{\pi}{2^n} = \sqrt{\frac{2 - \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2 + \cdots + \sqrt{2}}}}{2 + \sqrt{2 + \sqrt{2 + \cdots + \sqrt{2}}}}} where there are n1n - 1 twos under the radical.

Nice!
Reply 22
Original post by jack.hadamard

Original post by nuodai
In fact all you need is the first identity. If you rearrange

tan2θ=2tanθ1tan2θ\tan 2\theta = \dfrac{2\tan \theta}{1-\tan^2 \theta}

then, using the quadratic formula, you get

tanθ=1±1+tan22θtan2θ\tan \theta = \dfrac{-1 \pm \sqrt{1+\tan^2 2\theta}}{\tan 2\theta}

If we write tn=tanπ2nt_n = \tan \dfrac{\pi}{2^n} (for n2n \ge 2), then we must have tn>0t_n > 0 and so we take the + sign, and the above equation gives

tn=1+1+tn12tn1t_n = \dfrac{-1 + \sqrt{1+t_{n-1}^2}}{t_{n-1}}

which is quite nice.

Can anyone of you give me a simple example by using this method. May be my brain is a bit off right now, or is it too complicated for me.

I do understand till the rearrangement and applying the quadratic formula, but after it i am not really getting how are you doing it. Where does this tn1 t_{n-1} comes from?

Sorry if am being very silly.
Original post by raheem94

If I was you, I would use calculator to get it.

However, for the fun, you could note that tan3π8=tan(π4+π8)=cotπ8\tan\frac{3\pi}{8} = \tan(\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{\pi}{8}) = \cot\frac{\pi}{8}. Now look above.
Reply 24
babymaths.jpg
Reply 25
Original post by BabyMaths
babymaths.jpg

I don't really get what you mean by attaching this image?

What is its significance?
Reply 26

A person of your ability does not need an explanation. :tongue:

Think about it.

Consider the bottom side as value 1. Work out the rest of the lengths and angles and you'll see what he meant.
Reply 28
Original post by BabyMaths
A person of your ability does not need an explanation. :tongue:

Think about it.

Oh yes, i see what is going on. The opposite of the big triangle is 1+2 1 + \sqrt2 . And the angles can also be easily found so we can get tan3π8=1+2 \displaystyle tan \frac{3\pi}{8} = 1 + \sqrt2

Though your statement is a bit false, i don't have a very good mathematical ability though the progress curve is very steep :tongue:

Original post by hassi94
Consider the bottom side as value 1. Work out the rest of the lengths and angles and you'll see what he meant.

I never really thought much about the triangle before, though after concentrating on it again everything is clear.
Reply 29
I do understand till the rearrangement and applying the quadratic formula, but after it i am not really getting how are you doing it. Where does this tn1 t_{n-1} comes from?

If tn=tanπ2nt_n = \tan \dfrac{\pi}{2^n} then set θ=π2n\theta = \dfrac{\pi}{2^n} in the identity. You get 2θ=π2n12\theta = \dfrac{\pi}{2^{n-1}} and so tan2θ=tn1\tan 2\theta = t_{n-1}.
Reply 30
Original post by nuodai
If tn=tanπ2nt_n = \tan \dfrac{\pi}{2^n} then set θ=π2n\theta = \dfrac{\pi}{2^n} in the identity. You get 2θ=π2n12\theta = \dfrac{\pi}{2^{n-1}} and so tan2θ=tn1\tan 2\theta = t_{n-1}.

Thanks, i finally get it.

A few questions about this,

Shouldn't the range be n>2 n > 2 rather than n2 n \ge 2
Inputting n=2 n=2 gives,
t2=1+1+t12t1 t_2 = \dfrac{-1+\sqrt{1+t_{1}^{2}}}{t_1}
t1=tanπ2=math error t_1 = \tan \dfrac{\pi}{2} = \text{math error}

The other question is, i don't completely understand why you rejected the negative sign.
Reply 31
A few questions about this,

Shouldn't the range be n>2 n > 2 rather than n2 n \ge 2
Inputting n=2 n=2 gives,
t2=1+1+t12t1 t_2 = \dfrac{-1+\sqrt{1+t_{1}^{2}}}{t_1}
t1=tanπ2=math error t_1 = \tan \dfrac{\pi}{2} = \text{math error}
That's what I meant. Though I'd try to avoid saying things like "= math error"... you're not a calculator!

The other question is, i don't completely understand why you rejected the negative sign.

The graph of y=tanxy=\tan x is nonnegative whenever 0θ<π20 \le \theta < \dfrac{\pi}{2}.
Original post by nuodai
you're not a calculator!

:lol:
An easy way to find tan(3pi/8):

Consider the triangle ABC where A is the origin, B is what you get by starting at A and going 2 unit with bearing 0, and C is what you get by starting from B and going 2 unit with bearing pi/4.

In other words, A = (0,0), B = (0, 2) and C=(sqrt(2), 2+sqrt(2)). Then AC has bearing 3pi/4 and gradient 1+sqrt(2).
Reply 34
Original post by nuodai
That's what I meant. Though I'd try to avoid saying things like "= math error"... you're not a calculator!

The graph of y=tanxy=\tan x is nonnegative whenever 0θ<π20 \le \theta < \dfrac{\pi}{2}.

:ta:

you're not a calculator!

:sadnod:

Original post by DFranklin
An easy way to find tan(3pi/8):

Consider the triangle ABC where A is the origin, B is what you get by starting at A and going 2 unit with bearing 0, and C is what you get by starting from B and going 2 unit with bearing pi/4.

In other words, A = (0,0), B = (0, 2) and C=(sqrt(2), 2+sqrt(2)). Then AC has bearing 3pi/4 and gradient 1+sqrt(2).

:ta:
I remember in the AEA it was a common thing to show tan(pi/8) = sqrt(2) - 1 (then the answer for this comes quite quickly from that), but I don't quite remember how to do it
Reply 36
Original post by matt2k8
I remember in the AEA it was a common thing to show tan(pi/8) = sqrt(2) - 1 (then the answer for this comes quite quickly from that), but I don't quite remember how to do it

tan(θ2)=1cosθsinθ \displaystyle \tan \left( \frac{\theta }{2} \right) = \frac{1- \cos \theta }{ \sin \theta}

Sub in θ=π4\displaystyle \theta = \frac{\pi}4

tan(π8)=1cos(π4)sin(π4)=11212=21 \displaystyle \tan \left( \frac{\pi }{8} \right) = \frac{1- \cos \left( \frac{\pi}{4}\right) }{ \sin \left( \frac{\pi}{4} \right) } = \frac{1- \frac1{\sqrt2}}{\frac1{\sqrt2}} = \sqrt2 - 1

Quick Reply

Latest