The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F214

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ds4143
Ooohh okay :smile:
Hyperpolarisation

Suggest why fish can excrete ammonia but mammals must convert it to urea for excretion.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191

correct

is it because in mammanals urea is toxic which has to be broken before causing harm to other organs. Fish can excrete starighway as they are simple and do have complex bodies containing many organs ?
Reply 41
Original post by otrivine
correct

is it because in mammanals urea is toxic which has to be broken before causing harm to other organs. Fish can excrete starighway as they are simple and do have complex bodies containing many organs ?

Partly correct, fish can use lots of water to dilute the ammonia so that it is not toxic for them. The dilute ammonia solution is released straight away. But mammals need to conserve water, they cannot release too much water in the urine. Mammals also release concentrated urine, and is kept in the bladder to be stored. So mammals need to convert ammonia to a less toxic compound, urea, so that it is transported more safely.

I hope that make sense lol
Reply 42
Original post by ds4143
Partly correct, fish can use lots of water to dilute the ammonia so that it is not toxic for them. The dilute ammonia solution is released straight away. But mammals need to conserve water, they cannot release too much water in the urine. Mammals also release concentrated urine, and is kept in the bladder to be stored. So mammals need to convert ammonia to a less toxic compound, urea, so that it is transported more safely.

I hope that make sense lol

oh clever one nice
do you think they will accept this answer as it is 1 mark?
Reply 43
oh clever one nice
do you think they will accept this answer as it is 1 mark?

Well i guess if the question was out of two marks, you would atleast get one because you did mention urea being toxic in mammals which is true.
Ooh btw i dont think urea is broken down, i think it combines with carbon dioxide to form urine. Correct me if im wrong

Reply 44
hey do you want to revise for both units ?

Sure why not :smile:.
Reply 45
Original post by andrew_c
Sure why not :smile:.

ok you start :wink:
Reply 46
Original post by ds4143
Well i guess if the question was out of two marks, you would atleast get one because you did mention urea being toxic in mammals which is true.
Ooh btw i dont think urea is broken down, i think it combines with carbon dioxide to form urine. Correct me if im wrong

yes i think wait is it not remove toxic amino acids in liver then moves to plasma all the way to kidney ready for it to be excreted ?
Reply 47
yes i think wait is it not remove toxic amino acids in liver then moves to plasma all the way to kidney ready for it to be excreted ?

Sorry i dont wuite ubderstand what you mean there but I know that amino acid cannot be stored so it is broken down into ammonia and keto acid ... ammonia is toxic so it combines with carbon dioxide to form urea which now can travel safely in the blood to the kidneys where it is excreted.

Reply 48
What is the difference between synaptic convergence and summation :/?

Reply 49
Ok anyone revisin for f214?? After the horrid f215 this retake is either gonna make me or break me!
So i thought it's a good idea to revise here!
Reply 50
Can someone help clear up ultrafiltration for me? this is what I have written down using the textbook and my teacher:

Blood flows into the glomerulus from the afferent arteriole which splits into capillaries to ensure the blood is under increased pressure. Pressure is also increased by the efferent arteriole being narrower than the afferent arteriole.
Blood flows from the higher pressure in the glomerulues to lower pressure in the Bowman's capsule.
The blood containing small soluble molecules pass through the narrow gaps in the endothelium of the capillaries (??) of the glomerulus through gaps in the basement membrane (??) which filts out large molecules of molecular mass greater than 69,0000. The molecules then pass through gaps in the podocytes ensured by major processes.

Does anyone know if all those gaps exist and can anyone make that description better?
Reply 51
Original post by ds4143
What is the difference between synaptic convergence and summation :/?

Summation - lots of action potentials in one neurone will lead to many vesicles of transmitter substance being released and depolarisation in the next neurone is more likely to cause an action potential

Convergence - several presynaptic neurones converge to one postsynaptic neurone, allowing signals from different parts of the nervous system to create the same response
Ds4143 & otrivine you guys don't stop quizzing each other coz I'm stalking you two on the thread and testing myself with your random questions as I revise haha.. Merci!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 53
Original post by sarahbellazir
Ds4143 & otrivine you guys don't stop quizzing each other coz I'm stalking you two on the thread and testing myself with your random questions as I revise haha.. Merci!

khoesh mikonam :wink:
Reply 54
Original post by sarahbellazir

Haha :biggrin: Glad it helps someone >=]
Reply 55
Original post by Horchata
Summation - lots of action potentials in one neurone will lead to many vesicles of transmitter substance being released and depolarisation in the next neurone is more likely to cause an action potential

Convergence - several presynaptic neurones converge to one postsynaptic neurone, allowing signals from different parts of the nervous system to create the same response

OOOOHHHH wow thanks for clearing that up for me :biggrin::biggrin: !!
Reply 56
Original post by ds4143
OOOOHHHH wow thanks for clearing that up for me :biggrin::biggrin: !!

hi want to revise for f214 :wink: how did u find f215?
Reply 57
Original post by Horchata
Can someone help clear up ultrafiltration for me? this is what I have written down using the textbook and my teacher:

Blood flows into the glomerulus from the afferent arteriole which splits into capillaries to ensure the blood is under increased pressure. Pressure is also increased by the efferent arteriole being narrower than the afferent arteriole.
Blood flows from the higher pressure in the glomerulues to lower pressure in the Bowman's capsule.
The blood containing small soluble molecules pass through the narrow gaps in the endothelium of the capillaries (??) of the glomerulus through gaps in the basement membrane (??) which filts out large molecules of molecular mass greater than 69,0000. The molecules then pass through gaps in the podocytes ensured by major processes.

Does anyone know if all those gaps exist and can anyone make that description better?

I guess there are gaps in the basement membrane and capillaries...but I wouldnt say gaps to be honest, I would say it passes through. It defo passes through the gaps in the PODOCYTE cells ensured my the major processes. I know they definetly do have gaps. Also it does not filter out molecular mass GREATER than 69,0000. It filters out molucules with a mass less than 69,000 (three zeros, not four :smile:) Things like proteins and red blood cells which are larger than 69,000 cannot pass through, everything else smaller, like water, urea, amino acids, glucose, and inorganic ions can pass through :smile:

You explained the first part well :smile: but just the second part you got a itny bit muddled up in :smile:

Hope this helped!!
Reply 58
hi want to revise for f214 :wink: how did u find f215?

Omg dont even bother asking me about f215 LOL I failed that big time -.- I HATE application questions. I literally know the text book of by heart, but that did not help me in the slightest. I needed to understand application -.- UGH oh well Im over it. How did you find it?

And yup lets do f214
Reply 59
Original post by ds4143
Omg dont even bother asking me about f215 LOL I failed that big time -.- I HATE application questions. I literally know the text book of by heart, but that did not help me in the slightest. I needed to understand application -.- UGH oh well Im over it. How did you find it?

And yup lets do f214

it was ok but hated the first page on phenotype and the muscle question i hated those so much !!

ok
you start :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending