The Student Room Group

Why is it fair for people with money to get a better education than me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Beebumble
What would be the point in paying for it then.:s-smilie:

I think the main priority should be to make state schools better, especially those in large cities, never mind what private schools are doing.

Because people assume they are better because they get better grades, and have excellent extra-curricular stuff. But the majority of private schools are selective so are getting really bright kids to begin with - too right that they should get top GCSE grades! If you look at value-added, I'm not sure if private schools will end up being the best. There are lots of state schools which are in the top 10% of the country in terms of value-added (so the difference between the level pupils come in with and what they leave with). To me, that is an example of the best type of education - also need to take in to account that private schools only have a very small percentage of pupils who are on scholarship and may be from challenging backgrounds.
Oh and Miracle Day I noticed you asked somewhere if there were Welsh private schools, the ones that I know of are Coleg Llanymddyfri in Llandovery, St David's College in Llandudno and Rydal Penrhos in Colwyn Bay, I'm sure there are more too :smile:
I went state and got 14 A*'s
Original post by Miracle Day
The title is more of a crowd drawer than my actual opinion, I'm still undecided on the 'private school issue' but I'm prepared to swing either way so convince me otherwise TSR.

I was just speaking to a girl who told me she wants to do Law in KCL, and she told me her brother got 12 A*s and she got 8 A*s. Me and my brothers went to state schools and I never got a single A*, one had mostly Cs and one had mostly Ds. So I've done much better than my brothers.

At first I thought wow for both to get such good grades they must have really good parents. But then I decided to ask "Do you go to a private school or state school?" She answered "Private school."

For both to have done so well having gone to a private school, I'm assuming this a common thing? Where as my school is a band 1 state school (Top band) and the highest achieved grade was 11 A* and 1 A, the second was 7A* and it went down from there out of 200 people. My GCSEs were considered well above average for my school. I can't however apply to the top Universities because my GCSEs aren't as good compared to, say, people on TSR and I am a hard worker.

So why is it that people who go to private schools get better grades? Why is their standard of education so high and why can't teachers in state schools copy it?

I'm just wondering, so discuss.

Oh, and I don't think there are welsh private schools are there?

Before anyone tries telling me their own opinion here are some facts taken from the BBC.

8% of Children go to private schools, 92% go to state schools.
More than half of all students in Private schools come out with A or A* GCSE grades.
38% of all children getting three As or better at A-level are from Private schools.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure where I stand with the private school/state school debate. On one hand, I don't think it's fair on the "poor" people. On the other hand, it's not the richer people's fault. Plus, life is unfair, that's the world we live in.

However, I am replying to your thread because of the bit I have in bold. I always went to a state school and I always had the top grades of every class. My mum never gave a toss about how well I did in school. She never been to parents' evening or talking to teachers or even helped me with homeworks. Just thought I should point it out.
Reply 104
Original post by Eva_UK
I go to an extremely good state school. The standard of education, trips and extra curricular activities are excellent. We have had visits from Sir Ian McKellen, One Direction to name a few. Robert Pattinson and Catherine Tate came a few years ago to film a film.

We have pupils from all backgrounds, but mostly middle to upper middle class pupils.

Despite this, in general, the mostly working class disruptive ones still only get bad to slightly below average grades.

The quality of teaching does obviously, raise grades but if the pupil has not been brought up well and is unwilling to learn, a good education will still not provide the incentive to achieve. Privately educated kids nearly always have had a good upbringing, so will benefit from good education. Disruptive kids will not.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Sir Ian McKellan went to my school and he came back to see A Level drama students. You're lucky so many people came to your school and you got to see them!
Original post by madders94
I don't think there's any correlation between wealth and intelligence, as shown by the amount of both working and middle/upper class teenagers during the riots.

However, that's likely to be more to do with the fact the poor people are more likely to be malnourished in their youth and thus stunting their brain development than a genetic issue.
Ffs it doesn't matter what kind of school you go to, just get a textbook and revise - I went to state and had a 35% attendence and got 4 A's last year, I just revised at home independently
Reply 107
Original post by The Socktor

However, that's likely to be more to do with the fact the poor people are more likely to be malnourished in their youth and thus stunting their brain development than a genetic issue.

Whilst you were on wikipedia did you not bother to look at the criticism of this?
So you think there's a different atmosphere in private schools? Interesting.

Of course there is lol

I've been to state schools, private schools and grammar schools. It's safe to say that the majority of students at state schools do not care about learning at all and that there is a class disruption every 10 seconds. Half the lesson is wasted.

People want to do well at private schools, they know it's their parents money and want to take advantage of the chance they have.
Original post by . .
Whilst you were on wikipedia did you not bother to look at the criticism of this?

My mistake, sorry.
Reply 110
Money makes the world go round.
Reply 111
"8% of Children go to private schools, 92% go to state schools."

And yet Cambridge say they are being fair by allocating places to private/state school students in an almost 50:50 ratio.

In answer to your question, it isn't really fair on the bright students who go to bad schools. In bad schools, it can even be looked down upon to do well because it makes you 'different'. I know in my school, because I was the highest-achieving grades wise of my year people did mention it quite a bit. And some of my lessons were just completely poor. Most lessons in one of my A-level subjects were spent discussing football/news/other students.

But then, if I ever earn enough money and am able to send my children to private schools, I probably would. Or at least to a very good state school.

I wish that more money was invested in state schooling.
Original post by SHABANA
Because people assume they are better because they get better grades, and have excellent extra-curricular stuff. But the majority of private schools are selective so are getting really bright kids to begin with - too right that they should get top GCSE grades! If you look at value-added, I'm not sure if private schools will end up being the best. There are lots of state schools which are in the top 10% of the country in terms of value-added (so the difference between the level pupils come in with and what they leave with). To me, that is an example of the best type of education - also need to take in to account that private schools only have a very small percentage of pupils who are on scholarship and may be from challenging backgrounds.

But in principle shouldn't they be better? If I had a child and I was paying thousands of pounds a year for their education I'd expect it to be at a better standard then the education they could get for free.

Also children at private schools have smaller class sizes and depending on the type are more 'free' where the child can learn what they want in their way Steiner schools for example. Teachers do not have the constant pressures that the government put on state schools either so are probably more relaxed in their teaching.
Reply 113
Original post by Beebumble
But in principle shouldn't they be better? If I had a child and I was paying thousands of pounds a year for their education I'd expect it to be at a better standard then the education they could get for free.

Also children at private schools have smaller class sizes and depending on the type are more 'free' where the child can learn what they want in their way Steiner schools for example. Teachers do not have the constant pressures that the government put on state schools either so are probably more relaxed in their teaching.

I went to a private school and actually didn't get all a*s and all that jazz although I did really well. Completely agree with the points made here! The smaller class sizes definitely helped as the teacher gets to know each student and concentrate on ways of making each student work to a higher standard. In a state school however larger class sizes, more work for the teachers to mark and prepare can overtake the attention each individual child needs.

Although teachers are more relaxed in teaching, they do however have a major pressure when it comes to ensuring high quality teaching in order to please paying parents! I think this actually motivates them to go the extra mile.
Reply 114
my form tutor used to teach at a private school and she said they work a lot harder and have prep after school for 2 hours every day whereas i go home and log in to TSR after school. :colondollar:
The title is more of a crowd drawer than my actual opinion, I'm still undecided on the 'private school issue' but I'm prepared to swing either way so convince me otherwise TSR.

I was just speaking to a girl who told me she wants to do Law in KCL, and she told me her brother got 12 A*s and she got 8 A*s. Me and my brothers went to state schools and I never got a single A*, one had mostly Cs and one had mostly Ds. So I've done much better than my brothers.

At first I thought wow for both to get such good grades they must have really good parents. But then I decided to ask "Do you go to a private school or state school?" She answered "Private school."

For both to have done so well having gone to a private school, I'm assuming this a common thing? Where as my school is a band 1 state school (Top band) and the highest achieved grade was 11 A* and 1 A, the second was 7A* and it went down from there out of 200 people. My GCSEs were considered well above average for my school. I can't however apply to the top Universities because my GCSEs aren't as good compared to, say, people on TSR and I am a hard worker.

So why is it that people who go to private schools get better grades? Why is their standard of education so high and why can't teachers in state schools copy it?

Before anyone tries telling me their own opinion here are some facts taken from the BBC.

More than half of all students in Private schools come out with A or A* GCSE grades.
38% of all children getting three As or better at A-level are from Private schools.

The goal for many parents is simple - to give a better future for their children.
Best way to do this is better schooling. So parents take money they might otherwise spend on holidays, nicer cars etc and spend it on a private education.

If they didn't do this they might just as easily be spending it on private tutors, music lessons, gap years doing charity work abroad etc.
I went to a state school, not even a particularly good one but I came out with 12 GCSEs A*-B and 3 A levels A*-B so I can hardly complain, im now studying at a top 3 uni where most people come from private and fee paying schools. Just goes to show that no matter what school you go to and what kind of teachers you have, you can still do well if you want to.
Original post by Safx
I went to a private school and actually didn't get all a*s and all that jazz although I did really well. Completely agree with the points made here! The smaller class sizes definitely helped as the teacher gets to know each student and concentrate on ways of making each student work to a higher standard. In a state school however larger class sizes, more work for the teachers to mark and prepare can overtake the attention each individual child needs.

Although teachers are more relaxed in teaching, they do however have a major pressure when it comes to ensuring high quality teaching in order to please paying parents! I think this actually motivates them to go the extra mile.

Yeah I think the difference here is private school teachers get told "We pay you a lot of money for high quality teaching so make sure those 15 or so in your class do really well" whereas in state schools its "oh we've got to meet this target and you've got to make sure 30 of your students get this grade and you've got to teach them this way on this topic!"
Reply 118
Original post by stillgotlegs
Why is it fair that we live in a country that provides a free education system, while many of the world lives below the poverty line?

Life isn't fair. In perspective, the injustice of private schooling is minimal.
I agree. But also the fact that weathier people are generally more intelligent and hard working, and thus should have greater freedom in providing a better education for their offsprings. Seems fair. Although there are exceptions, in this imperfect world this seems the most logical choice.

Hey :smile: I've been to both a state school (for gcses) and private school for 6th form.
I found the pressure in private school is much greater to do well than in a state school. For example, when I found out I got a C in welsh literature at gcse, i didn't really care that much, but I found out I got a C in psychology at AS I cried and went back to bed.
I wasn't disappointed in myself, I would like to hasten to add, I was afraid that I had let the school down and let my teachers down, a feeling that I didn't feel in my old state school. My teachers care much more for me and so I have the same respect back. They treat us like adults, and there is definitely a sense of 'working hard' as the school teaches us to be the best we can be.

I also don't think it's fair (not aimed at you directly) that all people in private schools are wealthy. I'm here on a scholarship, and many of my friends wouldnt be here if they weren't on bursaries.

Also, there are welsh private schools. Quite a few in fact... I'm in one right now :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending