The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Geography (Human) 18th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I did the exam today and Im really unsure on how I did in the development part - how did you all find it and how did you go about answering 4 and 8 markers.

Oh and does anyone know when the markscheme will be released?
Reply 381

Jamaica, Galapagos and Kenya... all fine I'm sure (I did Jamaica)
Reply 382
Original post by pseudonymegg
yes but with large amounts of people one can infer they want you to talk about mass tourism without having to refer explicitly to it in the question and for anyone who has a decent knowledge of a mass tourism case study will get 8 not people who have a) written about a case study which isn't mass tourism or b) not included a case study

How do you specify lots - it could mean 10 could mean 1000s

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire S
Personally,I thought it was better than the physical paper. Thank god.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 384
loved the fact that the sustainable city came up again :smile:
when we labelled the picture did we have to state which one was human and which was physical?
Original post by russkiy
How do you specify lots - it could mean 10 could mean 1000s

let's put it this way, it asked for a case study right, and it was in the section on tourism so it could be one of four mass, eco, extreme or UK tourism but as it refered to numbers of tourists it can only be mass tourism! Eco tourism, the whole point being that it doesn't harm the environment with large scale visitors so that is out, extreme tourism doesn't usually recieve lots and the point isn't numbers it's about visiting a unique ecosystem and UK tourism isn't tropical thus it was a mass tourism case study which was needed.
Original post by cheetahs56
You think I could get away with:
Girls ending up in an orphanage as boys preferred
Forced Abortions late on? I saw an article on the news so I assumed it would be okay?:confused:

I did the same. But the question was 'caused', past tense so you could've also inc how they used to punish with forced sterilisation's, abortions, etc inhuman punishments... I think that should be ok lol

Reply 388
Original post by pseudonymegg
let's put it this way, it asked for a case study right, and it was in the section on tourism so it could be one of four mass, eco, extreme or UK tourism but as it refered to numbers of tourists it can only be mass tourism! Eco tourism, the whole point being that it doesn't harm the environment with large scale visitors so that is out, extreme tourism doesn't usually recieve lots and the point isn't numbers it's about visiting a unique ecosystem and UK tourism isn't tropical thus it was a mass tourism case study which was needed.

However eco tourism is becoming more popular in larger numbers

Original post by kashagupta
when we labelled the picture did we have to state which one was human and which was physical?

I don't think so. But I guess it wouldve helped. It was only a mark each, right?

Original post by slaughterthedaises
I don't think so. But I guess it wouldve helped. It was only a mark each, right?

Yeh :smile:
Reply 392
www.worldmapper.org

Just so everyone is clear - typological maps are proportional maps like in the link above or a tube map

chloropleth maps are shaded maps to represent different levels of a particular variable.. i.e a map of pop density in the US
Original post by MajorRisk
No, it wasn't topological i'm definitely sure. It was a Cartogram map which is a type of chloropleth map...scroll down in wiki and you'll see exactly what we saw in exam. (On right) :cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartogram

EU_net_budget_2007-2013_per_capita_cartogram.png

so is chloropleth right or was there an option for cartogram (cant remember)?
Reply 394
Original post by No brainer1
Physics P4 P5 P6 exam
#totallydreadingit

ah im doing chemistry 1a and 1b
Original post by vince130296
so is chloropleth right or was there an option for cartogram (cant remember)?

Yeah, Chloropleth was right since there was no option for cartogram...(It is a type of chloropleth) Only a 1 marker though so no need to worry :biggrin:
Original post by slaughterthedaises

Yes I suppose so, but seeing as I think I've done terribly, I think those 2 marks could make a fair bit of difference haha
Original post by MajorRisk
Yeah, Chloropleth was right since there was no option for cartogram...(It is a type of chloropleth) Only a 1 marker though so no need to worry :biggrin:

are you sure? Quite a few people have been saying it's topographical....so did my teacher when I explained the maps to her!
Reply 398
Original post by smarties:)
What negative effects to the economy does mass tourism produce? (last tourism question I think..) x

Most of the money generated through mass tourism goes to larger companies rather than local people.

Mass tourism creates traffic congestion which discourages tourists on visiting the area. This means less money is generated through tourism by the government.
Reply 399
I had a gut feeling that it was cartogram!
But, I was unsure, so, I picked topical.

However, as I was checking through my work, albeit, hurriedly - due to the shortage of time, I knew I would regret picking topical.
I should have gone with my gut instinct. But, then again, I have never seen that type of map in my life. It was 'only' a one mark question though, so, don't be disheartened if you got it wrong. Still, don't rule out the importance of one mark questions - it could provide the mark you require to jump a grade!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending