The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Yawë
I'm surprised q12 wasn't more popular... I think it's possible even with only GCSE knowledge statistics (except perhaps "A given B" algebra, which is S1). Having the whole question be a "show that" is also quite nice. Question 13 and 11 are both easy also...

The STEP papers seem to be making the applied questions much easier I think... Which seems harsh on anyone who looks to do pure :frown: anyway, well done to all of you who sat the exam :smile:

Based on the grade boundaries from previous years (this paper overall was standard) - yes I think so. But you'll need to be getting 18+/20 average on those 5 questions. Didn't you try any other question? Like part i of something?

Hmm, I tried, but I ran out of time. I walked into this paper with my confidence totally shot after STEP I actually. That was a disaster. My fault, really. I think I panicked. And so, I tried most of all to be careful here, and I actually did like the paper. It was great. Should've sped up a little. :/ Anyway, thanks for responding. :smile:
Original post by Rahul.S
you have got 20 warning points....you aint banned :/

I'm above the tyrannical law.
That's why I'm studying it. :colone:

How was STEP?
Reply 142
Original post by MW24595
Hmm, I tried, but I ran out of time. I walked into this paper with my confidence totally shot after STEP I actually. That was a disaster. My fault, really. I think I panicked. And so, I tried most of all to be careful here, and I actually did like the paper. It was great. Should've sped up a little. :/ Anyway, thanks for responding. :smile:

Well 5 full solutions is obviously very, very good! Do you need the S (are you one of those unlucky Trinity applicants with an S, S offer) ? 5 full solutions is definitely enough for a 1, and I think it is also objectively quite impressive regardless.
Reply 143
Original post by TheMagicMan
Let p(x)=12x2p(x)=\frac{1}{2}x^2. Then 2pp(x)+3p(x)24p(x)2pp(x)+3p(x)^2-4p(x) will have x2x^2 terms in it. Likewise with p(x)=x2p(x)=-x^2

Bah, because of the -4p(x) term. And this is why you should sense check your answer before you say the question is too easy :colondollar:
Reply 144
Original post by tehforum
I'm above the tyrannical law.
That's why I'm studying it. :colone:

How was STEP?

it went good :colone: just need to make sure I do well in III now :cool:
They are making applied slightly easier I think in order to encourage more applied preparation since statistics in particular is very unpopular.
Original post by shamika
Bah, because of the -4p(x) term. And this is why you should sense check your answer before you say the question is too easy :colondollar:

Don't worry, I know how it feels...3/8 of my full solutions have small algebraic slips in them which means I have no hope of a 120 at all (Not that I had any hope of getting one to begin with :tongue:)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Extricated
They are making applied slightly easier I think in order to encourage more applied preparation since statistics in particular is very unpopular.

I think they're trying to prevent people being pure demons as it makes them unbalanced (like me). You can't be an applied demon as there are onyl 5 applied qs. They're trying to force people to do a mix of questions (even I did an applied question, whereas in every previous STEP II I've done timed I've only turned to applied after completing the pure)
Don't worry, I know how it feels...3/8 of my full solutions have small algebraic slips in them which means I have no hope of a 120 at all (Not that I had any hope of getting one to begin with :tongue:)

There's always step III :colone:
There's always step III :colone:

III is harder than II for me so that's unlikely unfortunately :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 150
Original post by desijut
Thanks made my day :biggrin: 20/20 (a gift as long as you got your head around the first part)

Agreed. Stats is consistently easier than either Pure or Mechanics...

I think the paper is perhaps slightly easier than average (not by much). However, it very much depends on how it is received - me flicking through the questions without the time pressure is very different from doing it under true exam pressure.

Totally called projectiles, collisions and a question involving expectations/variances (although in fairness that's like saying there will be calculus involved in STEP :tongue:)
Reply 151
I think they're trying to prevent people being pure demons as it makes them unbalanced (like me). You can't be an applied demon as there are onyl 5 applied qs. They're trying to force people to do a mix of questions (even I did an applied question, whereas in every previous STEP II I've done timed I've only turned to applied after completing the pure)

But surely pure ability is pivotal to do well in the Cambridge Maths Tripos? And STEP is meant to be all about selecting students for the course... You'd think they'd be encouraging pure if anything :s-smilie: I suppose being able to do both is what is truly unbalanced though :wink:
Original post by Yawë
But surely pure ability is pivotal to do well in the Cambridge Maths tripos?[\QUOTE]

Of course, which is why there are 8 pure questions. I think they want candidates to have a wide range of abilities though

Original post by Yawë
But surely pure ability is pivotal to do well in the Cambridge Maths Tripos? And STEP is meant to be all about selecting students for the course... You'd think they'd be encouraging pure if anything :s-smilie: I suppose being able to do both is what is truly unbalanced though :wink:

tbh I'd argue that cambridge maths is far more famous for it's applied stuff than it's pure.
Reply 154
Original post by shamika
You've missed the solutions with the constant term is 0, so I got four solutions:

p(x)=12x2+12p(x)=\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{1}{2}, p(x)=12x2p(x)=\frac{1}{2}x^2, p(x)=x2p(x)=-x^2 and p(x)=x2+2p(x)=-x^2+2.

See the below for why there aren't four solutions

Don't like the question, it's rather easy. It was purely a test of determination with algebraic manipulation, but STEP has had much worse algebra than this :confused:

Hehe, i nearly fell for it in the exam, but i quickly put those values of a,b and c into the other equations and they didnt work.
Original post by ben-smith
tbh I'd argue that cambridge maths is far more famous for it's applied stuff than it's pure.

But then step pure really is applied anyway :tongue:

Reply 156

the funny thing is that I ALWAYS attempt a stats question in STEP II. Looking at examiner reports seeing not many people attempt them bewilders me since some are straight forward/not much harder than S2.

STEP III is different though, they better not do it for that. My mechanics knowledge goes up to M3, and stats up to S2 so i rely heavily on pure on STEP III
Reply 157
But then step pure really is applied anyway :tongue:

Well methods (so maybe not quite the same as applied), but yes I see your point
Original post by desijut
the funny thing is that I ALWAYS attempt a stats question in STEP II. Looking at examiner reports seeing not many people attempt them bewilders me since some are straight forward/not much harder than S2.

STEP III is different though, they better not do it for that. My mechanics knowledge goes up to M3, and stats up to S2 so i rely heavily on pure on STEP III

Yeah on III it's rare to see the applied being the more viable option, since the vast majority of mechanics is on moments of intertia, rotational dynamics etc which very few people have studied. Good luck :biggrin:
Full for 1,2,6,13 about half of 8 and the first part of 5 ran out of time when I was moving on to the second part :frown:

Now for III :P

Latest

Trending

Trending