The Student Room Group

Marxism, good, bad, both?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by johnaulich
Admitting to not understanding something is far better than pretending you do and making yourself look a fool.

Well this does not apply to me. I fully understand it and have not made myself look foolish. Kibalchich on the other hand has.
Original post by Observatory

None of your posts are helpful, either to me, or to you as persuasive arguments.

That's probably 'cos you're opining on a subject you clearly know nothing about.
Ironically laughable.
Original post by Kibalchich
That's probably 'cos you're opining on a subject you clearly know nothing about.

Rather it's because all of your posts boil down to "I'm right and you are wrong" with no attempt at explanation. The problem with this is that even if it is true it is still completely worthless because it doesn't persuade either the person you're talking to or spectators. Maybe I know nothing about Marxism - yes, no, what of it? If you could explain instead how Marx showed I was wrong, that would be worth something.
Original post by Observatory
Rather it's because all of your posts boil down to "I'm right and you are wrong" with no attempt at explanation. The problem with this is that even if it is true it is still completely worthless because it doesn't persuade either the person you're talking to or spectators. Maybe I know nothing about Marxism - yes, no, what of it? If you could explain instead how Marx showed I was wrong, that would be worth something.

This is tiresome.
It is a shame this thread is going the way it is, I normally enjoy intellectual debates around the big ideas. Before we can get there though, I have a few suggestions to get it moving again:

Could all those criticizing Marx for things he didn't say, please read the god damn book and criticize him for the things he did say. He was not infallible, but the vast majority of you are making it too easy by bringing up misconceptions others and myself have refuted many times before; in some cases on this very thread. At first it was funny but now it is frustrating.

Could all those with knowledge/sources from the wider sphere please understand that not everybody has read and/or understood them, and it would be better for us all if when those who have not read and/or understood them were not lambasted or called hypocritical for openly sharing that fact and attempting to rectify it.
(edited 11 years ago)
No, Kibalchich openly admitted he hadn't read and understood the source to which you were referring and asked for an explanation to that affect. Rather than explain it, you pointed this out to use as ammunition. Its not healthy for debate if people such as yourself are more interested in point scoring than intellectual discussion. In fact, I do believe that is why we find ourselves in the situation we are in now. I, for one, want to discuss Marx, not who has the biggest head and the smallest eyes.

Kibalchich has a point; some of your previous posts seem to suggest you have misunderstood the topic at hand or are simply repeating a misconception you heard elsewhere and have not actually the read very literature you're attempting to critique. Why is it wrong to point that out? Look through my previous posts on this thread. Look how many times I have to repeat myself. It really is dull.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending