The Student Room Group

Objectifying God

Hi guys,

Could someone please explain what 'Objectifying God' means? If someone said to me 'try not to objectify God when you are thinking' what does he mean exactly?I like to think, but I have not studied philosophy so I won't be able to understand words like anthropomorphic (if thats spelt correctly) etc.

Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
For of all, we're quite sure that God is at least a subjective idea.

Let me explain with an example: You see an apple, an image of apple formed in your brain, that image is subjective and the apple outside is subjective.

So now, God is at least an idea which we think over and over in our brain. But is there an object called God (like apple) out of our mind? We didn't find empirical evidence or proof of it.

So up till now, God is subjective and inter-subjective, but not (yet) objective.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
To me it means using God to your own ends and making God seem so useless. Ever heard that song 'Jesus Christ Pose' by Soundgarden?
To me, personally, "objectifying God" means reducing him to one aspect. I don't think the person who said it necessarily meant "objectify", but rather, "reduce". For example, many religions reduce God to a "being" so I suppose you could say that anthropomorphism occurs here and also in such statements as "God is love" or "God loves us" - does God feel emotions like humans do? (Rhetorical question. :wink:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending