Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Completing the square

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have this question.

5x^2 – 4x – 2 = 0

I did this,

I divided the whole equation by 5

x^2-0.8x-0.4=0

Then

(x-0.4x)^2.....=0

I know that I'm meant to do something like move the 0.16 to the other side but I'm not too sure.

Help
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zed963)
    I have this question.

5x^2 – 4x – 2 = 0

I did this,

x^2-0.8x-0.4=0

Then

(x-0.4x)^2.....=0

I know that I'm meant to do something like move the 0.16 to the other side but I'm not too sure.

Help
    When you change x^2 - 0.8x to a 'completed square' format - you're adding 0.16 so you must take it away, i.e. x^2 - 0.8x = (x-0.4)^2 - 0.16
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    When you change x^2 - 0.8x to a 'completed square' format - you're adding 0.16 so you must take it away, i.e. x^2 - 0.8x = (x-0.4x)^2 - 0.16
    I've been watching quite a few videos and guides, I'm getting to the point where I'm confused, I need to stick to one method that works best for me.

The question came from this site.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/co...ng-square.html

But I'm not fully understanding why they do such things.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    When you change x^2 - 0.8x to a 'completed square' format - you're adding 0.16 so you must take it away, i.e. x^2 - 0.8x = (x-0.4x)^2 - 0.16
    it is  (x-0.4)^2 \ldots not  (x-0.4x)^2 \ldots
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    So basically  (x-0.4)^2-0.16 = 0.4 + 0.16

If I'm correct

I'm guessing that's wrong anyway.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do I carry on this question, I'm basically stuck.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been watching quite a few videos and guides, I'm getting to the point where I'm confused, I need to stick to one method that works best for me.

The question came from this site.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/co...ng-square.html

But I'm not fully understanding why they do such things.
    Right well what you're doing when completing the square is adding a little bit which must be taken away again to keep the maths consistent.

say if we want to complete the square on

[x^2 + 2x] + 2

I've put square brackets around the bit we'll actually be modifying the appearance of.

So we do the regular thing here;

= [(x+1)^2 + adj] + 2

I have written 'adj' to indicate an adjustment that needs to be made, this is because (x+1)^2 \neq x^2 + 2x, in fact; (x+1)^2 = x^2 + 2x + 1 as we can clearly see by multiplying out.

We are just trying to get x^2 + 2x and we don't want the '+1' so our adjustment is going to be to take away 1, i.e. adj = -1

So now we have

[(x+1)^2 - 1] + 2 which we then tidy up to get (x+1)^2 + 1

since the constant term from the (x+1)^2 is 1, and similarly if it was (x+2)^2 it would be 4 etc. It is always the square of the constant term inside the bracket that is being squared.

So, generally for a quadratic [x^2 + bx] + c, we'd write it as [(x+\frac{b}{2})^2 + adj] + c and then the adjustment would be -\left(\frac{b}{2}\right)^2 = -\frac{b^2}{4} to give us [x^2+ bx] + c = (x+\frac{b}{2})^2 -\frac{b^2}{4} + c
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raheem94)
    it is  (x-0.4)^2 \ldots not  (x-0.4x)^2 \ldots
    Thanks - just a typo
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do I carry on this question, I'm basically stuck.
    Watch this video.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have this question.

5x^2 – 4x – 2 = 0

I did this,

x^2-0.8x-0.4=0
    Don't know about the method you are using. I'll try to explain the method I find easiest.
    If you think of your formula as x^2+px+q=0

Carrying on from the last step I quoted, I use this formula:

x1,2 = - p/2 ± √(p²/4 -q)

Which gives me

x1 = 1.15
    x2 = -0.35
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right well what you're doing when completing the square is adding a little bit which must be taken away again to keep the maths consistent.

say if we want to complete the square on

[x^2 + 2x] + 2

I've put square brackets around the bit we'll actually be modifying the appearance of.

So we do the regular thing here;

= [(x+1)^2 + adj] + 2

I have written 'adj' to indicate an adjustment that needs to be made, this is because (x+1)^2 \neq x^2 + 2x, in fact; (x+1)^2 = x^2 + 2x + 1 as we can clearly see by multiplying out.

We are just trying to get x^2 + 2x and we don't want the '+1' so our adjustment is going to be to take away 1, i.e. adj = -1

So now we have

[(x+1)^2 - 1] + 2 which we then tidy up to get (x+1)^2 + 1

since the constant term from the (x+1)^2 is 1, and similarly if it was (x+2)^2 it would be 4 etc. It is always the square of the constant term inside the bracket that is being squared.

So, generally for a quadratic [x^2 + bx] + c, we'd write it as [(x+\frac{b}{2})^2 + adj] + c and then the adjustment would be -\left(\frac{b}{2}\right)^2 = -\frac{b^2}{4} to give us [x^2+ bx] + c = (x+\frac{b}{2})^2 -\frac{b^2}{4} + c
    I understand everything else apart from this.

• 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qua)
    Don't know about the method you are using. I'll try to explain the method I find easiest.
    If you think of your formula as x^2+px+q=0

Carrying on from the last step I quoted, I use this formula:

x1,2 = - p/2 ± √(p²/4 -q)

Which gives me

x1 = 1.15
    x2 = -0.35

When did you learn this?

It seems like this method was from the 90s no offence.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    When did you learn this?

It seems like this method was from the 90s no offence.
    And it still works wonders. :cool:

And when did I learn it.. 2008? I'm not from the UK though. Just find it the easiest and quickest of ways.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qua)

And when did I learn it.. 2008? I'm not from the UK though. Just find it the easiest and quickest of ways.
    Oh right no wonder I wasn't familiar with it.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qua)

That is just a less general form of the quadratic equation and does not help the OP complete the square.

I understand everything else apart from this.

What don't you understand about it? I'm saying if we have any quadratic x^2 + bx + c we would complete the square as follows. b and c just represent constant numbers, in the example I showed you above, b = 2 and c = 2.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is just a less general form of the quadratic equation and does not help the OP complete the square.

What don't you understand about it? I'm saying if we have any quadratic x^2 + bx + c we would complete the square as follows. b and c just represent constant numbers, in the example I showed you above, b = 2 and c = 2.
    I'm just wondering where you have got the (x+b/2)^2 from
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering where you have got the (x+b/2)^2 from
    like when we have x^2 + 4x, we do (x+2)^2, always putting half of the x coefficient in the bracket. So if we have x^2 + bx, we'd put it as (x+b/2)^2

Make sense?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    like when we have x^2 + 4x, we do (x+2)^2, always putting half of the x coefficient in the bracket. So if we have x^2 + bx, we'd put it as (x+b/2)^2

Make sense?
    Oh right I understand I thought it was something much more complicated.

Thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 1, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.