The Student Room Group

Would you have a relationship with a transgender person?

Scroll to see replies

You see, I do not need to study this topic for me to know that what I am saying is true. I am saying that 'man' and 'woman' are societal terms. So far nobody has said that they are unequivocally scientific terms that can be changed at the will of the medical establishment (that would be truly foolish). Therefore, the meaning of them, the definition of them, depends of what society considers them to be - in the same way that society chooses to define what other words mean.

I do not need a degree to know that most of society agress with me. I live my life as an unbiased member of society. I know that other people, mostly, define 'man' as an adult male, and 'woman' as an adult female. That is all I am discussing, I do not need to do research to know that - just as we are aware of other obvious opinions of the public and their views on certain issues.

As for the comment about our subconscious. That is regardless. The definition and meaning of words are not determined our subconscious! How ridiculous! Preposterous, even!
"Their conscious definition is not the same....."
Conscious definition is the only one that matters when we are trying to determine how the public define a word. Are you honestly trying to tell me: "You may think that you define 'man' that way, but you do not. I know how your subconscious reacts, and therefore I know how people define 'man' and 'woman', but they do not."

How can you honestly think that the definition of a word does not come for our conscious minds!
(edited 11 years ago)
Probably not, I imagine the guy would still be quite feminine looking and I tend to go for really manly guys so I couldn't see myself being attracted to them.
NYU2012

Okay, let me try to understand you. Biological sex is defined by chromosomes not body-type, facial structures, genitals etc. In my example, the person doesn't know the chromosomes of the person his referring to and is using other forms of identification e.g. voice, facial structures, haircut, genitals, body-type etc. These qualities aren't used to define ones biological sex. Gender roles is socially-constructed view of what characteristics males and females have e.g. men = certain body-types, deep-voice, haircuts etc etc. Thus, they're referring to gender roles.

Is this your line of reasoning?
(edited 11 years ago)
I would, don't really see the problem as long as they don't try to hide it.
If they were open to me that they were a male who use to be female, I'd be casual about it. But if they weren't and I clocked in the bedroom what was going on, I'd be pissed!
Original post by Borderline
You see, I do not need to study this topic for me to know that what I am saying is true. I am saying that 'man' and 'woman' are societal terms. So far nobody has said that they are unequivocally scientific terms that can be changed at the will of the medical establishment (that would be truly foolish). Therefore, the meaning of them, the definition of them, depends of what society considers them to be - in the same way that society chooses to define what other words mean.

I do not need a degree to know that most of society agress with me. I live my life as an unbiased member of society. I know that other people, mostly, define 'man' as an adult male, and 'woman' as an adult female. That is all I am discussing, I do not need to do research to know that - just as we are aware of other obvious opinions of the public and their views on certain issues.

This is where you are wrong. Just because a majority of the population believes something to be true or defines something in a certain way does not make it so. Not to mention if 'man' and 'woman' are societal terms then it would be appropriate that sociologists examine and explain what they are. Coincidentally they have investigated these terms and deemed that they are used to describe something different than a persons biological sex. In all actuality when a person is described as being a man, you do not know their sex but rather you are describing a role that said person is fulfilling. They look a certain way, act a certain way, and conform to certain standards, none of which are what genitalia they have or chromosomes they have.

The examples given above are completely relevant plenty of females have and do pass and are called men. This is historical fact. They were still biologically female but were called men. Gender and sex are completely separate things.
Out of curiosity, why wouldn't it make sense? Anatomy are merely secondary sex characteristic. I mean, there are many people who are genetically human but lack some anatomical characteristics of a human e.g. polymelia who have extra limbs or anencephaly whose facial structure resembles frogs.

Okay, fair enough, I can understand your position now.
Reply 386
You see, I do not need to study this topic for me to know that what I am saying is true.

That's really not a good choice of opening line.
This is the last I'm going to comment on this. For you see, you are wrong. Nobody cares what you, sociologists, psychologists or scientists say a 'man' is. I, and almost everyone else, see a man as an adult male. This is what matters. Go make a large survey! I live with the average people of society, I know what your "average Joe" believes a man to be. Nobody defines a word off of 'subconscious' recognitions and thoughts - that is wishful thinking on your part. Perhaps if it is a word created by the psychology community, but it isn't! You cannot decide or convince yourself what the average person things, no matter how badly you want to! You cannot change this - it can only change if the views of those people change.

You studied psychology/sociology, and researhed transgenderism etc. etc. You WOULD argue that 'man' refers to a gender role, or so much that you want to believe to be true about society in regards to transgenderism is untrue. You are biased - your opinion means no more than mine. Of course, with all the time you have invested into the topic, you will not admit this. That would mean that you have convinced yourself, or deluded yourself, of something utterly unproveable, and unaccepted by society (I'm talking about the definition of 'man', as a reminder).

The only thing that matters when referring to non-scientific words like 'man' and 'woman' are what society defines them as, what their original meaning was, and the way that people use them in conversation. You can try and deny this, you can try and repeat your meaningless reasons why this is wrong, but it changes nothing. YOU cannot decide the definitions of words, nor can any other "psychologists".

You are in denile. The meaning of a word, and what it means to western society, is not up for debate. I'm sorry if the definition that society has given a word for over a thousand years upset you - but new considerations and discoveries by scientists change nothing - although you clearly want them to.

I don't plan on replying to you again. Inevitably, you will only say the same irrelevant, narrow-minded, and self-assured comments you have given time and time again. Of course, you probably think I am narrow-minded! You would say that obviously, as you believe I am wrong in my definition of 'man' and 'woman'. But I cannot be wrong in a definition - as that is what the vast majority consider those words to mean. Despite your desperations for the opposite to be true, you, nor sociologists, can decide the meaning of a word that does not belong to sociology/psychology.

Go on the streets. Ask people about what they consider a 'man' to be. You are so detached from society, and what society thinks 'man' and 'woman' are defined as. You need to consider things seperate to your emotions and desires - and try not to let what you want society to believe to cloud the truth of what we/society truly do believe. Just because you have a relevant degree does not give you the right to tell people the meaning of 'man' and 'woman' - the English language belongs to the English people & those in the rest of the world, not a biased minority to which you belong.

Original post by mmmpie
That's really not a good choice of opening line.

Actually it is. I do not need to study transgenderism to know what the average person considers a 'man' to be. Just like I do not need to do research into what the average person considers a 'child', 'light', or 'apple' to be.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sonia_leon
I would, don't really see the problem as long as they don't try to hide it.
If they were open to me that they were a male who use to be female, I'd be casual about it. But if they weren't and I clocked in the bedroom what was going on, I'd be pissed!

Just out of interest, when would you say is the appropriate time to share this information...first sight? first date? third date? Just before you sleep together?

I would date a trans* person, I am dating a trans* person, I am a trans* person.
Reply 389
This is the last I'm going to comment on this. For you see, you are wrong. Nobody cares what you, sociologists, psychologists or scientists say a 'man' is. I, and almost everyone else, see a man as an adult male. This is what matters. Go make a large survey! I live with the average people of society, I know what your "average Joe" believes a man to be. Nobody defines a word off of 'subconscious' recognitions and thoughts - that is wishful thinking on your part. Perhaps if it is a word created by the psychology community, but it isn't! You cannot decide or convince yourself what the average person things, no matter how badly you want to! You cannot change this - it can only change if the views of those people change.

You studied psychology/sociology, and researhed transgenderism etc. etc. You WOULD argue that 'man' refers to a gender role, or so much that you want to believe to be true about society in regards to transgenderism is untrue. You are biased - your opinion means no more than mine. Of course, with all the time you have invested into the topic, you will not admit this. That would mean that you have convinced yourself, or deluded yourself, of something utterly unproveable, and unaccepted by society (I'm talking about the definition of 'man', as a reminder).

The only thing that matters when referring to non-scientific words like 'man' and 'woman' are what society defines them as, what their original meaning was, and the way that people use them in conversation. You can try and deny this, you can try and repeat your meaningless reasons why this is wrong, but it changes nothing. YOU cannot decide the definitions of words, nor can any other "psychologists".

You are in denile. The meaning of a word, and what it means to western society, is not up for debate. I'm sorry if the definition that society has given a word for over a thousand years upset you - but new considerations and discoveries by scientists change nothing - although you clearly want them to.

I don't plan on replying to you again. Inevitably, you will only say the same irrelevant, narrow-minded, and self-assured comments you have given time and time again. Of course, you probably think I am narrow-minded! You would say that obviously, as you believe I am wrong in my definition of 'man' and 'woman'. But I cannot be wrong in a definition - as that is what the vast majority consider those words to mean. Despite your desperations for the opposite to be true, you, nor sociologists, can decide the meaning of a word that does not belong to sociology/psychology.

Go on the streets. Ask people about what they consider a 'man' to be. You are so detached from society, and what society thinks 'man' and 'woman' are defined as. You need to consider things seperate to your emotions and desires - and try not to let what you want society to believe to cloud the truth of what we/society truly do believe. Just because you have a relevant degree does not give you the right to tell people the meaning of 'man' and 'woman' - the English language belongs to the English people & those in the rest of the world, not a biased minority to which you belong.

Actually it is. I do not need to study transgenderism to know what the average person considers a 'man' to be. Just like I do not need to do research into what the average person considers a 'child', 'light', or 'apple' to be.

Just because the majority think something, doesn't make it right. (I imagine most people do think a man is an adult male, but many(/most?) people would also say that someone born as a female can transition to become a man. So it's really not as simple as you claim.)
Back in the everyone thought being gay was totally wrong, or that different races were inferior- we now know that not to be true. I hope you'll become enlightened one day too!
Original post by blu tack
Just because the majority think something, doesn't make it right. (I imagine most people do think a man is an adult male, but many(/most?) people would also say that someone born as a female can transition to become a man. So it's really not as simple as you claim.)
Back in the everyone thought being gay was totally wrong, or that different races were inferior- we now know that not to be true. I hope you'll become enlightened one day too!

How can a definition be wrong? A word means what it means, regardless of whether you want it to mean that or not.

As blu tak said above me. Your entire argument is flawed. You are claiming that because the majority believes something it is true. But that is obviously not the case. The majority of people used to believe women inferior but that didn't make it true. On the other psychology and sociology provide evidence and facts based on empirical evidence. Those are more representative of what is true.

Just to be clear if what is true is defined by what most people think then what is considered a 'man' or 'woman' can and is changing. So your definition is arbitrary and pretty useless.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
How can a definition be wrong?A word means what it means, regardless of whether you want it to mean that or not.

That's a silly question. As was stated just because the majority of people think man is representative of sex that doesn't mean that's what it actually means. You said yourself "a word means what it means regardless of whether you want it to mean that or not" :rolleyes:

Original post by RandZul'Zorander
That's a silly question. As was stated just because the majority of people think man is representative of sex that doesn't mean that's what it actually means. You said yourself "a word means what it means regardless of whether you want it to mean that or not" :rolleyes:

Who is to say it means otherwise? The words have existed for over a thousand years. When did their meanings (according to you) suddenly change? And who has the authority to change them? You cannot debate the definition of a word like that. The fact is you just don't like the definition, so you say it is wrong. You clearly need a word of your own to fill your definition of what 'man' and 'woman' means - because otherwise your shouts that the majority are wrong are irrelevant.
Who is to say it means otherwise? The words have existed for over a thousand years. When did their meanings (according to you) suddenly change? And who has the authority to change them? You cannot debate the definition of a word like that. The fact is you just don't like the definition, so you say it is wrong. You clearly need a word of your own to fill your definition of what 'man' and 'woman' means - because otherwise your shouts that the majority are wrong are irrelevant.

I would say that those who have studied the subject to see what the words actually entail and imply are the ones who can say otherwise. An unsurprisingly studies have been done. And also unsurprisingly they have shown over and over gain that what constitutes a 'man' has nothing to do with sex both historically and in modern times in fact the majority if people in the world couldn't agree on what constitutes a 'man' because of how different the standards are in many cultures.

All your shouts are rather embarrassing for yourself a you are saying that a man is someone who is male because thy have a penis. So...it has already been pointed out that is flawed. Not too mention your argument from the majority doesn't make sense. As then there isn't really a man or woman because it's all based on what the majority see as a man and woman.

The fact is that a man is not someone who has a penis or xy chromosomes and not even biologically male. Your claiming otherwise is just blatantly false and your refusal to accept academic and evidence based claims only make you look a fool.

The word used to describe these things is 'gender'. It has been explained many times in the course of this thread. You have yet to provide any kid of credible argument to go against it so really I don't need a we term but rather you need to learn what makes sense.

Original post by RandZul'Zorander
I would say that those who have studied the subject to see what the words actually entail and imply are the ones who can say otherwise. An unsurprisingly studies have been done. And also unsurprisingly they have shown over and over gain that what constitutes a 'man' has nothing to do with sex both historically and in modern times in fact the majority if people in the world couldn't agree on what constitutes a 'man' because of how different the standards are in many cultures.

All your shouts are rather embarrassing for yourself a you are saying that a man is someone who is male because thy have a penis. So...it has already been pointed out that is flawed. Not too mention your argument from the majority doesn't make sense. As then there isn't really a man or woman because it's all based on what the majority see as a man and woman.

The fact is that a man is not someone who has a penis or xy chromosomes and not even biologically male. Your claiming otherwise is just blatantly false and your refusal to accept academic and evidence based claims only make you look a fool.

The word used to describe these things is 'gender'. It has been explained many times in the course of this thread. You have yet to provide any kid of credible argument to go against it so really I don't need a we term but rather you need to learn what makes sense.

The traditional meaning of "man" is an adult male. Read medieval poetry (Chaucer), even read the bible. You will see that in the olden times that is how the word was considered. That famous quote from the bible (which I disagree with) "Thou shalt not lie with a man as thou would with a woman" - this is clearly referring to "man" as an adult male and "woman" as an adult female - blatantly the bible is not saying "Thou shalt not lie with a person who identifies as male, as thou would with a person who identifies as female".

This is how most people still consider the terms "male" and "female". You say, however, that just because the vast majority may define those words in that way, does not mean they are right.

So I will ask you the same question: when did the definition change (as you do not agree with the definition that I and most other people believe them to have), and who has the authority to tell the entire English-speaking world that their definition is wrong and has suddenly changed? You didn't answer either of these questions.

And I may look like a fool to you, but that is because I am telling you what you don't want to hear. Most people agree with me - although many would not be as open-minded and considerate as I have been. And the definition of a word is not determined by academic evidence. - besides, I have been provided with no academic evidence that shows the definition of 'man' is other than what I have said - I have quoted dictionaries, which agree with me, but it is you who is the fool who discards the dictionary definitions. If those dictionaries fitted your definitions, you would be using them as evidence to me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 396
Original post by Pi!
Yes, I would.

I don't understand why this is getting negg'd.
Original post by Alexander94
Just out of interest, when would you say is the appropriate time to share this information...first sight? first date? third date? Just before you sleep together?

I would date a trans* person, I am dating a trans* person, I am a trans* person.

Hi :smile:
I would like the person to tell me either when we agree on a date or on the first date, IMO those are key times to reveal information about yourself and getting it all out in the open.
Let me give you a clue: nobody cares about psychologists. This is why when somebody says they want to become one, many people roll their eyes. Because there are a lot of things they say that are nonsense. I am not saying that "man" does not have other connotations for "man" - but I do not care what people subconsciously think I when they hear this word. Only you do - because it gives you an answer that satisfies you. ALL you have to do is ask people their definition of "man" and "woman". That is how a word is defined. When anybody hears "Look, there's that man we met yesterday" - what does a person expect to see? If they turn to see somebody they know identifies as a man in a "female body", they aren't going to be very impressed with whoever said it.

If somebody wants to point out or talk about a person that is clearly transgender (let's say a man, with a man's body, who has perhaps taken female hormones and maybe even had breast implants) the person will say "did you see that man over there?" If they know the person, most likely they'll call them whatever they want to hear - I know I wouldn't call somebody otherwise, even if I don't believe it.

You keep saying about what psychological studies have shown how people use the word for. Guess what, when it comes to the definition of normal words, nobody could care less about your studies. In the average population that is. They impress nobody, I'd roll my eyes. Go up to someone in the street, ask them their definition of "man", hear them say "an adult male" or something along those lines ("has a penis/man's body etc.), then tell them that they are wrong, they don't define "man" that way, because you have psychological studies that prove otherwise. Many people would tell you to f' off.

If you are so sure about your definition of "man" and "woman", why don't you contact some dictionaries, and explain your case to them? If you do look it up in a dictionary, you will find quite a few will be found, such as "Man - referring to the human species 'A great leap for mankind'". You will not find any listing for a gender identity. Let alone it being the primary definition! Of course, you are in denile, deluding yourself by taking psychological studies and using them to define a word, so inevitably you'll dismiss this.

I can go back to normal life, with my friends, average people, and know that if I ask them what a "man" is, or if they say "that man" We both know what we mean. There is an understanding. I'm perfectly happy with that despite knowing a very small minority thinks otherwise, and that should we meet a trans person we'll ignore our beliefs for the sake of politeness and not offending. Can you and the others here honestly say that what the average population would define "man", if you asked them, as an adult male, you'd be okay with that? You'd contentedly think "Oh well, the majority of people have been wrong before. They're just like people who thought the Earth was flat." I think you wish that the public agreed with your definition. But they don't. Just accept that. You can carry on believing that people who identify as a man in female bodies are men, but if the vast majority of people in society would not think of them truthfully as a man, then there is no true recognition of them as a man - only by a minority. In society's eyes they are not. Just look at my first post on this thread:

"I define being male as possessing male genitalia. If you were born with it, then you were born male. Simple as that." (paraphrased)

This received 5 positive reps - clearly a lot of people in society would also agree.

When you might be talking to somebody about a trans person, and you say "he is trans", do you know what people are truly thinking? They know that you refer to them as a "he", but inside their head, what they want to know is if he has a male/female body. If they were confident enough to ask you, they might even say: "So, is he a man or a woman? Did he have a sex change from a woman to a man?" You would probably say your spiel about "man" referring to gender identity, but you see, whilst it might be hurtful for trans people to her, most people just want to know whether somebody has a male or female body to decide whether they are a man or woman. This is why you will hear people say "is that a man or a woman" - in your terms, what they mean is "are they male or female" - but there is no important difference to them. You are so desperate to believe otherwise that you believe whatever you want to believe. But don't define a word by psychological studies, that is just foolish.

"I define being male as possessing male genitalia. If you were born with it, then you were born male. Simple as that." (paraphrased)

And if you found out that your male friend had had genital surgery as a baby due to ambiguous genitalia (he only just found out), you would still consider them male. A male who was born male in every sense, but born with a slight genital deformity, which does not reduce their manhood.

Unless you want to prove me wrong, and say that you would now stop considering him as a man. I would be impressed if you were at least consistent and did prove me wrong.

Generally, it's one rule for cispeople and another for transpeople. People take mental short-cuts, and consider people as whichever gender is cognitively easier. 'Oh, I've known you as a man all my life, so whatever happens now you're a man' is basically it.

Just don't try to claim that you follow the genitalia rule unless you do. At the beginning you didn't specify that people had to be born with it, and it turned out that you didn't believe that a male lost his manhood if he lost his genitalia in an accident.
So you've put now that it's the genitals that people are born with - the standard contradictory view with those who have this opinion is that people they know that have grown up as male (or female) are still male (or female) no matter what genitals they are subsequently found to have been born with, and corrected at birth.

People don't consider transmen as men or transwomen as women, this is true. This isn't due to some valiant holding up of ancient words. This is due to it being easier to not consider the possibility of the brain being sexed.

It has happened throughout humanity. "I don't believe women are of an equal level to men, as they have always been the lesser sex who are dependent upon and protected by the male, as is reflected in all the other creatures." "I don't believe that two males can love each other in such a way, as marriage is defined as being between a man and a woman, and God has described it as an abomination." "I don't believe that people of religion X can be moral, good people, as morality can only come about by submission to our Lord". "I don't believe that brains can be sexed, even when the research is suggesting that they are; transpeople cannot exist and are just claiming to be something that they are not."

That's all it is. It's just prejudice. Nothing else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending