The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am seriously considering studying Medicine in South Korea. However, the courses aren't taught in English. :frown:
I know a bit of Korean and I also have the time to get way better at it during my gap year.

Anybody have more info on the unis over there? I know some have direct enty (like the UK) and others the "American" 4+4. they don't reply to my emails so I'm kinda in a dilemma right now...

edit: sorry if this isn't the right thread. I just didn't really want to start a new one. and when I read "studying medicine abroad" I thought this might fit :colondollar:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by medicine_abroad
Yes definitely you will be able to practice in UK! Your degree will be recognised fully without needing to do any further exams such as PLABS when you get back! The degree course is six years long which means you will be able to do F2 back in UK if you wish!

so does this mean that after the 6yr degree you can skip fy1?
Reply 22
OP, what are the requirements and costs? and @MarinaBS are you currently on your gap year? and how much is the costs associated with studying in S Korea because I myself am considering that option?
Reply 23
Original post by Alkesh
OP, what are the requirements and costs? and @MarinaBS are you currently on your gap year? and how much is the costs associated with studying in S Korea because I myself am considering that option?

yeah, I am. and I love it :biggrin:
it is actually quite expensive. fees might be a bit cheaper than the ones back in the UK, but you have to show them that you have a certain amount of money while applying. there's no such thing as finance, but you can get a scholarship (not in the first term, but after). however, these are quite difficult to get. considering the duration of the course is between 6 and 8 years...that's a lot of money - especially if you end up without a scholarship.
Reply 24
Applying to medicine can be an incredibly challenging process, from writing a perfect personal statement to obtaining offers.. applicants undergo extreme stress! However, even those who were successful in getting offers cannot rest in peace until results day which is approaching near very fast!! And for those who were not so successful, you may feel hopeless and unsure of what to do next in terms of your medicine career.
Studying medicine abroad is not necessarily the first option that may come to your mind while figuring out what to do. This is not an easy option, requires a lot of thought process and research. To make this easier for those of you who are already going through stress, I have created this thread! From personal experience, I will aim to answer all your questions..no matter how big or small!
I am currently studying medicine in Romania! I have just completed my first year and in october..I will be starting my second!! The course is taught entirely in English and yes you do have romanian language classes everyweek but not much emphasis is placed on learning the language although the faster you learn it, the better for later years! The course structure may be slightly different from UK medical schools but even in the UK, each medical school differs from one another.. The course content is pretty much the same when I compare to my other friends who are in UK medical school. The students orginate from all over the world...Greece, Turkey, Sweden, Norway, Israel, England, Germany...
The degree is recognised by WHO, GMC... which makes it possible to come back here and continue with our medical careers!
If you have any further questions..please ask! I am willing to answer as I know that this is a very difficult choice to make!! :smile:

Hi, I'm doing a level 4 access course in biology and chemistry here in London. I wanted to apply for a medical degree in Romania and wanted to know whether they'll accept me with my Level 4 Cert HE qualification in sciences and also do I have to fund myself financially in terms of the tuition fees?
Reply 25
and also do you know whether University of Constanta is recognised by the WHO GMC
Reply 26
Original post by Sheba1
and also do you know whether University of Constanta is recognised by the WHO GMC

I think so, i'm considering going there myself!
Applying to medicine can be an incredibly challenging process, from writing a perfect personal statement to obtaining offers.. applicants undergo extreme stress! However, even those who were successful in getting offers cannot rest in peace until results day which is approaching near very fast!! And for those who were not so successful, you may feel hopeless and unsure of what to do next in terms of your medicine career.
Studying medicine abroad is not necessarily the first option that may come to your mind while figuring out what to do. This is not an easy option, requires a lot of thought process and research. To make this easier for those of you who are already going through stress, I have created this thread! From personal experience, I will aim to answer all your questions..no matter how big or small!
I am currently studying medicine in Romania! I have just completed my first year and in october..I will be starting my second!! The course is taught entirely in English and yes you do have romanian language classes everyweek but not much emphasis is placed on learning the language although the faster you learn it, the better for later years! The course structure may be slightly different from UK medical schools but even in the UK, each medical school differs from one another.. The course content is pretty much the same when I compare to my other friends who are in UK medical school. The students orginate from all over the world...Greece, Turkey, Sweden, Norway, Israel, England, Germany...
The degree is recognised by WHO, GMC... which makes it possible to come back here and continue with our medical careers!
If you have any further questions..please ask! I am willing to answer as I know that this is a very difficult choice to make!! :smile:

Which uni are you studying at and what agency did you go through?
Reply 28
Original post by luqman15
Which uni are you studying at and what agency did you go through?

hi,
ive just applied to ovidius university in constanta through mda med degree abroad, most agents charge 4000 euros and these lot charged less so i went with them. I went last week to check it out, an agent picked me up and showed me around, it seems like a decent place, im really looking forward to starting
Hey! I am currently in A2 and didn't get any offers for medicine. I was thinking of applying to the medical school in Romania this august and starting this coming October as I know that it is a good option. However if I get the 3 As on results day is it possible for me to do the first year in Romania whilst having applied for a medical school in England for 2014 entry? Please help!!
Reply 30
I have been accepted by Palacky uni in Olomouc and by Charles uni In Prague, both in Czech Republic for the the 6 year doctor of medicine programme. Does anyone know how the two courses and unis compare to each other, any advise? Thanks
Reply 31
Original post by lewistan
I have been accepted by Palacky uni in Olomouc and by Charles uni In Prague, both in Czech Republic for the the 6 year doctor of medicine programme. Does anyone know how the two courses and unis compare to each other, any advise? Thanks

Hi

I had this query too. After doing tonsss of research, definitely palacky for me. Not the main reason obv but Olomouc is so beautiful! Charles doesn't seem nice to me, and a LOT of people say there is a very high drop out rate at Charles. Im doing dent and so for me its definitely no to Charles as apparently the dent course is taught and examined in a very tough way compared to med.

Also I heard hradec Kralove the town of that uni is very boring, not that were there to have fun but still.

did you do the entrance exam for palacky on the 25th may? I did too, well done on your offer :smile:

Hope that helped a bit
Reply 32
I would like to recommend China Medical University, which you can find on CUCAS site. The highlights of China Medical University,

1. CMU is the first medical school established by the Chinese Communist Party
2. The university is recognized by WHO and it is the first batch to offer English taught MBBS program by MOE China
3. The study costs at CMU are reasonable, including tuition fee, accommodation and living expenses, etc
4. Graduates have good passing rate to get the license through medical licensing examination
5. It owns the famous affiliated hospitals where the students can do internship
6. Do internship in your home country is acceptable and only 1/3 of the tuition fee is required
7. Located in Shenyang, the biggest city at Northeastern China
Reply 33
Original post by misty00
Hi

I had this query too. After doing tonsss of research, definitely palacky for me. Not the main reason obv but Olomouc is so beautiful! Charles doesn't seem nice to me, and a LOT of people say there is a very high drop out rate at Charles. Im doing dent and so for me its definitely no to Charles as apparently the dent course is taught and examined in a very tough way compared to med.

Also I heard hradec Kralove the town of that uni is very boring, not that were there to have fun but still.

did you do the entrance exam for palacky on the 25th may? I did too, well done on your offer :smile:

Hope that helped a bit

Yeah I did, thanks, you too.
honestly I don't know that much about them yet. I thought Prague was meant to be very scenic. I don't know why the drop out rate is do high but would like to find out.
Reply 34
Yeah I did, thanks, you too.
honestly I don't know that much about them yet. I thought Prague was meant to be very scenic. I don't know why the drop out rate is do high but would like to find out.

Well some people said they accept far more than they have space for in the second year. Apparently they make people fail in the first year so that they have to retake and the university gets more money that way. A bit shallow/ extreme if you ask me! But that's what i read.

Also i guess it is probably harder there as the classes are much bigger...other unis e.g. palacky, the classes are smaller so you get more attention and help as there is a good student to teacher ratio.
Reply 35
Original post by misty00
Well some people said they accept far more than they have space for in the second year. Apparently they make people fail in the first year so that they have to retake and the university gets more money that way. A bit shallow/ extreme if you ask me! But that's what i read.

Also i guess it is probably harder there as the classes are much bigger...other unis e.g. palacky, the classes are smaller so you get more attention and help as there is a good student to teacher ratio.

God, that is extreme! do you know anyone from Charles uni? perhaps they would be able to reveal why the drop out rate is so high. its just hard to think that the oldest uni in Czech and one of the most prestigious would focus on not getting their students to pass.
Reply 36
God, that is extreme! do you know anyone from Charles uni? perhaps they would be able to reveal why the drop out rate is so high. its just hard to think that the oldest uni in Czech and one of the most prestigious would focus on not getting their students to pass.

Beats me

No I don't know anyone who acc goes there :frown:
Reply 37
what are the costs of studying in romania and how are you funding it, does the romanian government help with finances like a student loan/tuition fees?
Reply 38
I'm looking to study medicine however I fear my grades won't be good enough for English medical schools
What grades did you achieve to get into your Romanian medical school and in what subjects at A Level?
Thanks in advance
Reply 39
Original post by abdabs1
I'm looking to study medicine however I fear my grades won't be good enough for English medical schools
What grades did you achieve to get into your Romanian medical school and in what subjects at A Level?
Thanks in advance

Unfortunately I am in the same position with B in psych, C in chem and C/D in bio (august 2013) and want to apply to do med in romania:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending