The Student Room Group

Medicine/Dermatology at my home town or Engineering in the UK?

Im not sure what to do and I would love some insight. I want to study medicine and become a dermatologist but I also got into Engineering in the UK. I prefer the course and subject of Medicine but I am also extremely interested in studying abroad. Although Engineering isn’t my first option for a major, I am really really desperate to study abroad and I believe I can excel and potentially enjoy Engineering. Im stuck between studying medicine (the course i prefer but path i dread) vs engineering (the course that isnt my first choice but a path i love). Thoughts?
Reply 1
I can’t comment on engineering but as a medical professional I can say that the medical path is long and hard. If you have doubts now , it probably isn’t for you. When people ask me if they should be a doctor I always say that if you are passionate about medicine and can’t imagine doing anything other than being a doctor then go for it. Otherwise don’t do it. Definitely don’t do it because it sounds like a good course, is hard to get into, for the money, for the prestige, for the lifestyle etc etc.
Reply 2
Thank you for your response, i want to pursue medicine because I really love dermatology and skincare, but another huge goal i have is seeing myself living abroad. I love biology and chemistry and i really do have a passion to it, but I fear the process of embarking the profession will hinder the enjoyment and memory making i want.
Reply 3
The dermatology pathway is less arduous than many other specialities. Follow your heart.

Quick Reply

Latest