The Student Room Group

I got BBB and now I'm a 2nd year medical student

Hi everyone! This is mainly aimed at the aspiring medical students out there but feel free to join in the discussion if you like! I am a currently a 2nd year medical student abroad(born in the UK). In 2018 I completed my A levels having in mind that I was going to pursue medicine in the UK. However on results day I found out i acheived BBB and there was no chance of me getting into any univeristy here!! I was very disappointed at the time as I was really expecting to acheive AAA. But now I realise how lucky I am now and that I am having the experience to study abroad and in my case I'm glad it didn't work out as expected. (Although I didn't want to become a doctor it was family pressure, like alot of other students going into Medicine.) I have met some of the most amazing people abroad and I have made lifelong freinds along the way. I really hope you guys continue to work hard and acheive the grades you deserve. If you don't its not the end of the world at all as there is soo many other opportunities out there to get into Medicine if you don't acheive the grades. Feel free to ask me if you have any queries!! Good luck🙂
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi Medic209. Glad you're enjoying your studies. Which university/country are you currently at if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by Medic209
Hi everyone! This is mainly aimed at the aspiring medical students out there but feel free to join in the discussion if you like! I am a currently a 2nd year medical student abroad(born in the UK). In 2016 I completed my A levels having in mind that I was going to pursue medicine in the UK. However on results day I found out i acheived BBB and there was no chance of me getting into any univeristy here!! I was very disappointed at the time as I was really expecting to acheive AAA. But now I realise how lucky I am now and that I am having the experience to study abroad and in my case I'm glad it didn't work out as expected. (Although I didn't want to become a doctor it was family pressure, like alot of other students going into Medicine.) I have met some of the most amazing people abroad and I have made lifelong freinds along the way. I really hope you guys continue to work hard and acheive the grades you deserve. If you don't its not the end of the world at all as there is soo many other opportunities out there to get into Medicine if you don't acheive the grades. Feel free to ask me if you have any queries!! Good luck🙂

what gcse grades did u get ? where are u studying? what work experience did u have ?
where do you study and how does it cost?
do you think you will be as good as a doctor who studied the UK when you graduate?
Reply 4
Hey there. I am studying in Pakistan. A few people I know including my uncle have obtained a medical degree from Pakistan. They are now working in the UK as doctors. I'll just have to pass the PLAB when I come back to become registered as a doctor in the UK. There are obviously other countries in Europe nearby but I chose Pakistan as I do have some relatives there.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by tecna
what gcse grades did u get ? where are u studying? what work experience did u have ?

I got 1A* 8A's and 2B. I am studying in Pakistan. I volunteered in a care home for 6 moths and then in a charity shop for another 6 months. I also worked in a GP surgery for 2 weeks. However, many foreign countries dont look at work experience at all. When I applied they make you a score based on your marks you obtained in your gsces, Alevels and entrance test. The highest scores get the first seats. However, if your applying for a foreign seat like I did the scores are quite low as many foreign students didn't acheive AAA. I know some people who got in with BBC/BCC/CCC. Its not that hard to get into medicine abroad if your applying for a foreign seat. The only downside is it does cost alot of money.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by enceladus55
Hi Medic209. Glad you're enjoying your studies. Which university/country are you currently at if you dont mind me asking?

I've replied above
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
where do you study and how does it cost?
do you think you will be as good as a doctor who studied the UK when you graduate?

I study in Pakistan. In my first year its cost £13,000 and that did include hostel fees as well. However this year it's gone up to £15,000. It's really expensive in Pakistan but in some other countries like in Europe the fees are much less. I guess i opted for Pakistan since I have some family there. Yes, I most definately think I'll be as good as any other doctor who has graduated from the UK!:h: The curriculum is exactly the same and the degree I'll obtain would be identical to the one here, the only difference is I've graduated from Pakistan so I'll be having to take the PLAB test when I come back.
Reply 8
Hello I have recently done my alevels and got 4B's, I really do want to be a doctor, but I am unsure if I can get into Pakistani university with my grades, if I do well on the mdcat would that make it possible for me to get into a university ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending