The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i would say Kings
Reply 2
Living in London isn't cheap, plus Birmingham's campus is really nice, so I would go for Brum. I don't know a lot about either course though, and it's you friend's decision, not mine. Has she visited each university/city again to see if that makes up her mind? Talked to current students? Been through each course in detail?
Reply 3
I would say Brum too. London is really expensive and although Kings is sort of campus, London is huge and there is no community spirit. In birmingham you would probably meet people you knew walking down the street, whereas in London you'd be lucky to find anyone... Depends what your preferences are...
Also London is very 'in-bred', i.e. a lot of people there are quite elitist and if your friend is not super-competitive then it probably isn't the place for him/her...
Hope that helps..
:smile:
elgarde
London is very 'in-bred'

:eek: lol
Reply 5
OppressedMass
:eek: lol

Birmingham. The med school has a better reputation and it wil be cheaper to live. London doesn't have much on Brum for cultureal diversity, vibrance and things to do.
Fluffy
Birmingham. The med school has a better reputation and it wil be cheaper to live. London doesn't have much on Brum for cultureal diversity, vibrance and things to do.

... Good God, no.

GKT has a very good reputation for medicine.

Did i misunderstand the second part of your post? The bit about Birmingham being vibrant? And having more things to do than London?
Reply 7
GKT does have a very good reputation, and if she lives in London she can commute to kings which is cheaper than accomadation
Reply 8
I've got offers from both and i would favour King's to Birmingham. Forgetting about costs, diversity, location etc.... Birmingham has quite a different course, which im sure your friend might have picked up on from the tour. I don't know about her, but I didnt think the course would suit me hence didn't choose bham. Bham also has a larger intake this year, make of that what you will. anyway good luck to your friend wherever she decides!
Reply 9
If I were in your shoes, provided I have the financial support, I would pick Kings.
Fluffy

double-u tee eff?
double-u tee eff?

Quite.
Reply 12
double-u tee eff?

It's v true...
Reply 13
OppressedMass
... Good God, no.

Did i misunderstand the second part of your post? The bit about Birmingham being vibrant? And having more things to do than London?

I get soooo fed up of peopel being rude about Birmingham, its ridiculous.
Birmingham does have great cultural diversity, yes there is some racism but can you name a town with no racists in at all? It is a very multi cultural city.

There probably are more things to do in London i admit but that doesnt mean there isnt lots to do in Birmingham, and lots of things that people think you need to go to London for you can get in Brum, like good food (theres a michelan starred restaurant),art galleries and museums, plays- plus stratfords just an hour or so away and theres often interesting exhibitions and stuff at the NEC. The nightlife is great too, theres not as in much choice as in London but its cheaper and unless your parents have very deep pockets id have thought thats a huge plus.

Plus its way easier to get into decent countryside than in london

And yes id say Birmingham is vibrant, its really not that bad a city at all, people just judge it, half the time without having visited. The uni is really nice, as are the halls so dont just dismiss birmingham.

*Steps off soapbox* rant over:biggrin:
Reply 14
Personally i chose kings over all my other offers and dont regret it one bit, what does upset me though is all the presumptions people have over university in london.

Firstly we DO have a sense of community, and you'd be surprised how easy it is to randomly just bump into people you know around london, especially in the area's near uni. Having a HUGE city to run around also makes our RAG week uber fun, because a few thousand of us have miles and miles of london streets teeming with tourists to badger for cash.

Secondly, its not THAT much more expensive to live in london as long as you dont want to go to musicals etc every night of the week. There are cheap cinemas and student nights in clubs which work out tons cheaper than where i live at home in kent. To top that off you get a bigger student loan which helps to cover the difference in costs in accom. As well as that if you then decide to work in london after graduating you get paid a bit more than elsewhere which allows you to pay back your higher student loans.

But to be honest ive been to brum and i thought it was a pretty nice place, so as the two courses are really different id advise that your friend picks the one they feel most comfortable with, because at the end of the day whether its kings or brum they're sure to still have a great time
Reply 15
what year of medicine are you in? And if you don't mind me asking what is your timetable like in Kings? :smile:
Well, I had to choose between Bham and Kings....and I have chosen Kings (it took me 2 months to decide!!). I agree that it is a difficult decision but the deciding factor was the course structure. The financial strain of living in London, did put me off at first but people manage to get through it...and so can I.
Kings ........... :smile:
Reply 18
bham dont do disection but as far as i know kings do
(well dey do disection for you)

so if your friend likes to do disection then go to kings if not go to bham.

check me on this iam this i mite be wrong
Reply 19
OppressedMass
... Good God, no.

Fluffy is saying that Brum has a better one. Read befor posting macca.
I also suspect she means the real rep of peeps there, not the image 'rep' they try to sell.

Secondly the community in London around the Thames is pretty piss poor compared to many parts of the country, though I aint been to Brum so i canna compare macca, (which is i suspect the same as some of you but for different reasons).

Latest

Trending

Trending