The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Overseas tuition cost = home tuition cost for undergrads = 5000 per year?

I am trying to understand the difference between overseas fees and home fee status at OpenU. Unless I am not understanding this, there currently doesnt seem to be a difference in tuition cost between overseas or UK based undergrads, based on the following:

http://www8.open.ac.uk/platform/news-and-features/2012-fees-announced-overseas-and-postgraduate-students

Am I misreading this and if so, please point out what I am missing. I recently moved to Britain (permanently) after receiving British citizenship, but this is the first time Ive lived here. From what i understand, home fee status is primarily based on the three years of residency requirementI therefore that all (?) Universities require. I would be required to pay the overseas tuition rate, which you may know is exremely expensive. This is why Ive been looking at Open University. Thank you for any help or clarification.
Reply 1
Yes that looks to be right. Overseas students will pay what new English students will pay. There's extra fees for taking exams In your home country depending on where you live. But that wouldn't apply to you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
This makes good sound sense to me, to be quite honest.
The OU is going to lose a substantial number of paying students as a result of the changes to funding in England. So we've got revenue streams to look at that need to be bolstered.
The average "Online" degree fee is pretty extortionate if it's from a reputable university (it's not much better if it's from a disreputable one like the University of Phoenix).
The OU's got a damn strong rep behind it for rigour and is widely viewed in a positive light in many corners of the world (even Asia's beginning to notice it and appreciate it more than might have been said to be the case in the past).
For the OU to invite international students to pay fees equivalent to (new) English students could arguably be a pretty decent coup.
Mind you, it could just as easily backfire...

Quick Reply

Latest