The Student Room Group

What Masters should I choose to do if I want to get into Medicine?

I’m currently studying Biomedical Science BSc and wanted to apply to medicine this year after graduating but got rejected so, I’m planning to do masters then apply to medicine right after that so, what masters do you think will support my application into Medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you!:smile: Would you give any advice on what I could do instead of getting a masters in the gap of applying to medicine?
Reply 2
It was my UCAT scores, felt like I could have done much better!
Whay are you doing yet another qualification ......?
Bits of paper will not help you get into Medicine - relevant experience will.

Get a job on a Care Home or Hospice for a year - and if you dont think you could do that, then rethink Medicine.
Reply 4
Okay, yeah I was initially thinking of doing that with the masters!
Thank you! I will highly consider that now!
Reply 5
Okay, next year I’ll use this advice to apply to undergraduate ones too! Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Kay43
Okay, next year I’ll use this advice to apply to undergraduate ones too! Thank you!

Sorry I meant this year😅
Reply 7
Okay, thank you so much for your advice! I’ll contact student finance and see what advice they can give me!😊
Reply 8
Thank you so much! This is so helpful!
If I had decided I wanted to do masters after graduating then apply to medicine, how would that financially impact me? Do you think I will still receive student finance support or will it be more difficult than undergraduate entry?
Reply 9
Thank you so much for your help, this means a lot!😄
A masters won’t impress anyone. Experience and a good UCAT score are what you need. A masters is mostly going to be a waste of time and money if you’re just doing it as a stop gap. Save your master’s funding for when it might actually be useful to you professionally. You’ll be paying the damn thing off for decades and you’ll likely never get the chance to use it if your plan is to go into medicine.
Reply 11
Hi I couldn’t get into graduate entry medicine this year. When I was looking at some statistics, it seems like majority of people who got into graduate medicine have a masters degree. So was thinking to do a masters and apply again. What do you think would be the best masters program to take, before graduate entry medicine?
Original post by Turning_A_Corner
A masters won’t impress anyone. Experience and a good UCAT score are what you need. A masters is mostly going to be a waste of time and money if you’re just doing it as a stop gap. Save your master’s funding for when it might actually be useful to you professionally. You’ll be paying the damn thing off for decades and you’ll likely never get the chance to use it if your plan is to go into medicine.

Plus most people who do full time masters need funds outside of the government loan, which means either savings or parents money. That could be used to help fund medical school - or a masters which helps in an alternative career.
Reply 13
I see, but since I didn’t get in wouldn’t it be beneficial to do a masters whilst trying to get in. I’ve seen the physician associate course, I was thinking if I did that whilst applying for gem each year (until I get in) it would be a good plan. The connect is similar to medicine, so wouldn’t that make my gem application so much stronger?
In the GEM prog that I am familiar with, a Masters would give a minuscule amount of points. It’s not worth the time and money to try and strengthen a UG medicine app unless it’s something you’ll genuinely be pursuing and medicine remains a plan B at best.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 15
Thank you. Is there anything else that can make a difference other than ukat score and work experience. Does getting a first make a difference from getting 2:1? Does the previous university you attend make a difference?
I thought grad entry medicine is near impossible. They’ve got such a high requirement and all. Good Luck tho. Idk personally I wouldn’t do like 7 degrees just to do one degree. It’s a little bit pointless. Wasting all that time and money and you’d become a doctor at a very late age. So idk is this degree not what u wanted at all or something? This is a tough situation. I’ve seen people posting about grad entry medicine and it seemed like such a headache.
Reply 17
How do people find undergrad med as a second degree. Wouldn’t it cost around 100k for tuition fees plus living costs to do the course
I would look into getting a job rather than a masters. I’m starting a masters this year in Biomedical Science (Clin Biochem) but have working in the Biomedical Field for over a year now and realised if I really want to go for the high paid and challenging jobs, I need it.

Experience is VERY valuable, more so than qualifications in some cases as it shows you know the field rather than just going in blind.
Original post by Dhdbdnc
How do people find undergrad med as a second degree. Wouldn’t it cost around 100k for tuition fees plus living costs to do the course

It costs £37000 in tuition fees. Where on earth did you get £100k from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending