The Student Room Group

Nursing at QUB/University of Ulster (Magee) Intake 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by hipbones
Hiya! Welcome!

I am a Queens student so I am absolutely biased, haha, but if you are happy to stay within the Belfast/Southern Trusts then Queens will be perfect. I personally love the 6 in/6 out timetable we have, it keeps me on my toes because there's so much going on. We are barely in the door until we are off out into placement again which keeps everything fresh in mind. Where are you from?

Thank you! I live 10 mins from the Causeway and I know quite a few local girls at Magee who get placements there and it would be handy but I've been told a few times that the 1st year placements in particular at Magee are pretty poor.
I'll be travelling to uni each day regardless as I'm married and have children but I'm worried about getting a placement somewhere very far away eg. Daisyhill as its so far away the only option would be to stay..
Do you have exams every 6 or 12 weeks?
Reply 1881
Original post by Lorens
Thank you! I live 10 mins from the Causeway and I know quite a few local girls at Magee who get placements there and it would be handy but I've been told a few times that the 1st year placements in particular at Magee are pretty poor.
I'll be travelling to uni each day regardless as I'm married and have children but I'm worried about getting a placement somewhere very far away eg. Daisyhill as its so far away the only option would be to stay..
Do you have exams every 6 or 12 weeks?

The adult intake has around 130 or so there is always the opportunity to swap with someone in your class! If you can't get a swap you will have to go to the placement given to you by allocations. I know of a couple of girls who have been placed quite far away but chances are if you are on a hospital ward you'll be in three days a week - which isn't so bad (the odd one does a 4 day week, two long two short!).

We have exams at the end of every 6 weeks! In phase one we had two multiple choice exams, at the end of the last one we had an exam and an assignment and this phase we have three exams and an assignment! We also do seminars throughout the 6 weeks so it's a lot of work to keep up with!
Original post by Studycrazy
Yes I think they only last 2 years now, when we did ours it had a 5 year limit on it. So I will need to do my biology A level if I don't get in this year so that I have a science subject. I'm not sure why they changed it. I didn't do chemistry it was sociology, biology, English literature, ICT and study skills. I think chemistry would have scared me off lol I loved the biology modules though.

The access course I'm doing currently at Belfast Mat has a lifetime certificate. This is good as A Levels last for your life time so why shouldn't Access.

However, on the flip side, you're not allowed to resit the access course. Your final mark is it, no second chances. If your final mark is 60% and you need 70%, you can't retake it. One shot and your out. You can only retake if you fail an exam (get below 40%) but the highest mark you can get then is 40%.
Reply 1883
Original post by kathyowen04
The access course I'm doing currently at Belfast Mat has a lifetime certificate. This is good as A Levels last for your life time so why shouldn't Access.

However, on the flip side, you're not allowed to resit the access course. Your final mark is it, no second chances. If your final mark is 60% and you need 70%, you can't retake it. One shot and your out. You can only retake if you fail an exam (get below 40%) but the highest mark you can get then is 40%.

All qualifications last for a lifetime but queens only accept recent study so you must have received the qualification within a time limit. This includes A levels and all access courses. I did my A levels 10 years ago but had to do an access course to get into queens as my A levels are now out of date. Same applies for the access course, you must get accepted within the time limit or they also become out of date (as in no longer recent study). Good luck to you all!! :-)
Original post by cuterorymum
Oh great thats exciting...I have a 2 year old which is why im only applying to queens it would b about two hours away for derry so not happening!!

Is anybody starting Nursing at Queens this September with kids. I have a 3year old and although I am over the moon and very excited about starting I am worried about the placements and having to stay away from home!
Original post by Kezza31
Is anybody starting Nursing at Queens this September with kids. I have a 3year old and although I am over the moon and very excited about starting I am worried about the placements and having to stay away from home!

Hi yes I'm starting in September and have a five year old!x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Brilliant! What branch will you be studying? I'm doing Mental Health:smile:
Original post by Kezza31
Brilliant! What branch will you be studying? I'm doing Mental Health:smile:

I'm doing adult! :frown: ders prob sum crossovers tho!x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mental health students can be placed anywhere in the country but there is always the option to swap with someone if they are willing to. :smile:
Original post by Milliemoo1
I'm doing adult! :frown: ders prob sum crossovers tho!x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah prob for first year CFP. Are u going on the 17th?
Mental health students can be placed anywhere in the country but there is always the option to swap with someone if they are willing to. :smile:

Do all the branches of Nursing be placed anywhere in the country? Good to know there may be a possibility of swapping if needs be. Are u starting in Sep also? 😀
hi guys i also have an offer for childrens for queens in sept really happy with this but worried about childcare costs i have 2 kids and one being born next week :smile: i have been researching but im not having much luck atm with finding out info.

its going to be hard work but worth it 3 years will fly in for us x
Original post by Kezza31
Do all the branches of Nursing be placed anywhere in the country? Good to know there may be a possibility of swapping if needs be. Are u starting in Sep also? 😀

Adult branch tend to stay in the Belfast/Southern Trust. The other three branches can go anywhere, really. As I say though, if someone wants to swap and it suits you can do that. (It has to be within the same branch.)

I'm already at queens! I'm just finishing my first year! :biggrin:
Original post by Kezza31
Yeah prob for first year CFP. Are u going on the 17th?

Yeah need to get more info bout bursaries and that.i haven't a clue!lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kann1983
hi guys i also have an offer for childrens for queens in sept really happy with this but worried about childcare costs i have 2 kids and one being born next week :smile: i have been researching but im not having much luck atm with finding out info.

its going to be hard work but worth it 3 years will fly in for us x

Yeah it will be really tough but so worth it in the end to get qualified! Are you looking at day nurseries or child minders?There is so much to get sorted out but it's comforting to know there are others in the same boat. We will bettering ourselves for our kids in the end! Looking forward to the 17th to get all these questions swirling around in my head answered. 😄
Adult branch tend to stay in the Belfast/Southern Trust. The other three branches can go anywhere, really. As I say though, if someone wants to swap and it suits you can do that. (It has to be within the same branch.)

I'm already at queens! I'm just finishing my first year! :biggrin:

That's brilliant and well done you getting through the first year! I take it your Adult then? I really cannot wait to start. What happens in 1st year? Do all branches learn together then there specialty decides which placements they will be allocated to? Sorry for all the questions lol Xx
Original post by Milliemoo1
Yeah need to get more info bout bursaries and that.i haven't a clue!lol x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me neither! Will be good to get it all clarified 😄
Reply 1897
Original post by Kezza31
Me neither! Will be good to get it all clarified 😄

Everything you are entitled to can be found here http://www.science.ulster.ac.uk/nursing/docs/Bursary_Rate_Information_Booklet.PDF
And unfortunately it isn't much. The dependants allowance is means tested so therefore if your partner/husband has a good job you will get very little/nothing extra. If you have no children then you get £430 per month and that's it. I had to keep a part time job when I was training. It was hard but necessary and when on placement I was working 60 hours per week. Exhausting! The special allowances etc at the bottom of the table are for those students who are considered to have a disability ie dyslexia and the money is for any special equipment they need - they don't actually get extra money per say. It is financially difficult when training but it's worth it in the end. Just gotta make sacrifices I suppose.
im looking at both to see what is best but if i cannot get help with childcare funding at all ill do know a few girls that keep kids and not registered and means you wouldnt be tied to a contract either and they would work around you .

its just hard worrying about the money end of it . my husband wanted me to wait another year but i know how hard it is to get into the course and if i was to reapply i may not get the chance again x
Original post by lorri5
Everything you are entitled to can be found here http://www.science.ulster.ac.uk/nursing/docs/Bursary_Rate_Information_Booklet.PDF
And unfortunately it isn't much. The dependants allowance is means tested so therefore if your partner/husband has a good job you will get very little/nothing extra. If you have no children then you get £430 per month and that's it. I had to keep a part time job when I was training. It was hard but necessary and when on placement I was working 60 hours per week. Exhausting! The special allowances etc at the bottom of the table are for those students who are considered to have a disability ie dyslexia and the money is for any special equipment they need - they don't actually get extra money per say. It is financially difficult when training but it's worth it in the end. Just gotta make sacrifices I suppose.

is there such thing as a maintenance grant? our finance lady in our college told us about it, once my halls money is took out of my bursary il have hardly any money to live on and i plan to work part time but i know its very hard to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending