The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Silly question about the exams

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about doing a module with an exam for my second OU module but I've got a bit of a silly question! Obviously I'd have to find out where my exam centre is, but what actually happens on the day of the exam? It's been so long since I've done an exam and I suppose A Levels are slightly different to OU exams. Do you turn up at the exam centre and go into a room with your name on a seat, or do you have to give your name at the front desk or something and they'll give you the paper? I got something from my tutor on my current module MU123 about an open uni card, will I need to get one of these to present to the invigilators?

Like I said, sorry for the silly questions, and the answers won't influence my decision about the module with the exam, I'm just curious how they work!

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by NicolaJ
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about doing a module with an exam for my second OU module but I've got a bit of a silly question! Obviously I'd have to find out where my exam centre is, but what actually happens on the day of the exam? It's been so long since I've done an exam and I suppose A Levels are slightly different to OU exams. Do you turn up at the exam centre and go into a room with your name on a seat, or do you have to give your name at the front desk or something and they'll give you the paper? I got something from my tutor on my current module MU123 about an open uni card, will I need to get one of these to present to the invigilators?

Like I said, sorry for the silly questions, and the answers won't influence my decision about the module with the exam, I'm just curious how they work!

Thanks in advance :smile:

Exam-wise, you go in to a room that have the papers already laid out by module. Find your seat, take it, and leave your photo ID on the corner of the table. They'll check it against your name during the exam :smile:

I've never had to give my name at the door or anything.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
You need ID but that's about it. There's an exam allocation sheet on the course website they recommend you print out and take but it's not a necessity.
Reply 3
There should be a piece of paper outside the hall/room saying what seat number everyone is sitting at, so you check there and then when they let you in, you just find your seat & put your ID on the corner of the desk. Usually you'll have to put bags & coats in a corner somewhere so I'd suggest only taking things you need, and don't take anything expensive if you're worried about leaving it - although it will still be in the room with you so it's not like people can just wander up to it :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks very much to everyone who replied! I think I'll be fine with just my driving license then not this OU card.
Am I also right in thinking that you get plenty of notice about the exam date? I work full time but I think I read somewhere you get about 6 months notice so plenty of time to get the day off!
Thanks again :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Hi NicolaJ,

Yes - you do get plenty of notice of the exam date. I have an OU exam coming up in October and was told the date several months ago.

I think a photo driving license will be fine as ID. I have always used my passport, as I don't have a driving license.

Quick Reply

Latest