We need capital punishment back.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by pshewitt1
hence why i quoted him with Ian hislop :L

Sorry didn't see that :colondollar:
Original post by OU Student
We don't. It's the easy way out.

I'm intrigued....if it's the "easy way out" why do pretty much all death row inmates appeal a million times knowing that at best they'll get it commuted to life in prison?
Reply 42
Do we want decades-long appeals, and Death Row? This actually ends up being far more expensive than imprisonment, so from a financial perspective, there's no support.
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm intrigued....if it's the "easy way out" why do pretty much all death row inmates appeal a million times knowing that at best they'll get it commuted to life in prison?

Quite a few do attempt (and succeed) to kill themselves. There was an American found guilty of murder (whose name escapes me) who asked for the death penalty.
Quite a few do attempt (and succeed) to kill themselves. There was an American found guilty of murder (whose name escapes me) who asked for the death penalty.

The vast majority neither kill themselves nor actively ask for the death penalty. A few cases out of thousands does not make a rule.

Again, entertain my questions, if it is the "easy way out" would you perhaps support torturing prisoners instead? I mean if it's not harsh enough....:dontknow:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
The vast majority neither kill themselves nor actively ask for the death penalty. A few cases out of thousands does not make a rule.

Again, entertain my questions, if it is the "easy way out" would you perhaps support torturing prisoners instead? I mean if it's not harsh enough....:dontknow:

No. I simply do not believe capital punishment is the right answer. It's the easy way out and hypocritical. Why is it right for me not to kill someone, yet the state can take my life if I kill someone?
No. I simply do not believe capital punishment is the right answer. It's the easy way out and hypocritical. Why is it right for me not to kill someone, yet the state can take my life if I kill someone?

So you don't have an answer to the vast majority of American death row inmates preferring life to execution?

Why can a state go to war? Why can it put surveillance on people? Surely both of those actions are illegal for regular citizens? Unless we realize that the state has and should have powers that regular citizens do not have. :beard:
Reply 47
Original post by dj1015
If an animal is sick and we cant afford the vet bills, its get put down. Time to apply the same logic to these terrible people.

What a fantastically ludicrous example, you're not even using the word sick in the same context for a start
Original post by Mazzini
But there is no way of being 100% sure of whether the convicted person actually did the crime. This is one of my qualms with capital punishment.

I'm pretty much 100% sure Ian Huntley actually did commit the crime he was jailed for

I want selective capital punishment back
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by dj1015
I was against it until very recently for many of the same reasons most people oppose it. But it is time for a serious rethink in the UK. The justice system as well all know is soft on crime, and 30 years for murder is not enough.

These people are sick individuals. If an animal is sick and we cant afford the vet bills, its get put down. Time to apply the same logic to these terrible people.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/crime/s/1584745_stockport-headless-body-trial-anthony-and-joseph-jenkins-jailed-for-life-for-murder-of-john-grainger

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9431941/Kiaran-Stapleton-jailed-for-30-years-for-murdering-student.html

I am not in favour of it because I think it will deter people from committing terrible crimes, because it wont. I am not in favour of it because it I believe in the eye for and eye theory. I am looking at this from the economics of the situation.

If capital punishment can be brought back. It could be introduced in a manner that is quick, and cost efficient to the British tax payer. No need for mutlipul costly appeals as one is enough, and only a short stay on death row. Thus saving money on the cost of a whole life sentence. Humane methods could also be used such as Nitrogen asphyxiation.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

if economics is your main concern then we most certainly do not need capital punishment
(edited 11 years ago)
I support it, but I think the whole justice system needs completely overhauling. There is simply no deterrent for criminals these days, all they get is soft sentences in holiday camps. Life sentences should mean until the convict dies, and this should be the very bare minimum sentence for murder. We need to get rid of the TVs and gyms and games rooms and whatever else in the prisons and young offenders instutions, and stop serving them better food than we serve hospital patients. This would make prison a punishment.
I think that the death penalty should apply, as mentioned before, when there is no doubt of the persons guilt, such as the guy who shot Anuj Bidve in broad daylight in the middle of the street.
Also, think about this; if someone murdered a member of your family, would you be happy to pay for them to have a warm comfortable bed, 3 hot meals a day, sculpture lessons or whatever else they do in prison? Would you be happy to then pay for them to recieve every benefit under the sun when they are released after 10 years?
Reply 51
So you kill someone because he/she killed someone??
And call it justice...
Sounds like a logical argument....
Reply 52
Original post by unclej
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

if economics is your main concern then we most certainly do not need capital punishment

Thats why it would be a cheaper system. I agree, not point in killing people off if it costs more. I am only in favour of it, if it is cheaper. Which I hope it would be.
Reply 53
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflections_on_the_Guillotine

Read the entire essay if you can. If not, read this wiki page.

This should quiet those in support of capital punishment.
Reply 54
It is not 'necessary', but I would judge it as a worthwhile addition to society.
Reply 55
Original post by Vonlenska
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflections_on_the_Guillotine

Read the entire essay if you can. If not, read this wiki page.

This should quiet those in support of capital punishment.

A very interesting article that raises points that I have never heard be considered.

Unfortunately, for you I think, it does not change my viewpoint on the death penalty.

I found the point about premediated murders especially interesting. Thank you for providing that link.
Reply 56
Original post by cyfer
A very interesting article that raises points that I have never heard be considered.

Unfortunately, for you I think, it does not change my viewpoint on the death penalty.

I found the point about premediated murders especially interesting. Thank you for providing that link.

The actual essay text is far more persuasive, and includes several more arguments which the wikipedia page seems to have omitted.
If one innocent person was put to death as a result it wouldn't be worth it.
Nope. It's a medieval, barbaric and totally outdated form of justice that has no place in modern society.
Original post by saachi
I would argue that living and suffering is harder than a quick death anyway.

But no, we are past the Dark Ages, I thought we had transcended that stage of brutality and butchery centuries ago. No need to revive it now.

Living and suffering? In relative prison luxury, you mean? Prisons are cushy holiday camps and there's a reason that that subhuman bastard was asking to be put in prison, don't you think?

This country has been a soft touch for far too long.

Latest

Trending

Trending