The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Freiheit
I think the guy was trying to say that getting a certain grade at a state school is equivalent to higher in private school. Eg:

http://www.suttontrust.com/news/news/comprehensive-pupils-outperform/

This does not prove that state schools are producing a better form of education, just that those who do excel have more potential than their peers in the independent sector. Nonetheless, there is still a huge disparity between the proportion of private school pupils (7%) overall and at elite universities (43% at Oxbridge).
I am not saying that those at state schools cannot excel (I like to think I excel, if I can drop modesty for a second) but that private school provides overall a better education (for whatever reasons, not necessarily related to the facilities/teaching quality).
Reply 41
Original post by PythianLegume
This does not prove that state schools are producing a better form of education, just that those who do excel have more potential than their peers in the independent sector. Nonetheless, there is still a huge disparity between the proportion of private school pupils (7%) overall and at elite universities (43% at Oxbridge).
I am not saying that those at state schools cannot excel (I like to think I excel, if I can drop modesty for a second) but that private school provides overall a better education (for whatever reasons, not necessarily related to the facilities/teaching quality).

I agree that private school provide better education and the comprehensives I've experienced have been quite bad. I think the disparity you mention
is not because of the individuals' talents but by may be due other factors such as school preparation, parental influence among many other factors.
Reply 42
Original post by im so academic
A school may be higher up on the league tables, but it doesn't make it a better school. Many, many state schools cheat the system by entering their students into "soft" qualifications so it improves their point scores.

*******s. Perhaps the other girl did many other extra-curriculars during her time at school? Perhaps had other opportunities that she took part that you didn't? Perhaps she was exposed to more ideas? Perhaps her grades don't exactly show her potential fully?

Private school is not just a way of buying a university place.

Oh I believe it is. I go to an average state school and I tell you the teachers couldnt give a crap about me. Im doing well yay but they wont help me to get me to the very top, they concentrate on all the under-achievers. I have never even heard of all these awards that private students get. We dont have an option to play instruments or do DofE and all the other things, literally in our school its a free-for-all. Everything must be done yourself! I went to Airbus in Chester for a weeks work experience and I was the only kid that was from a state school (There were 10 of us in total). They had all been advised by their school on going there (And had a goot personal statement for it) but I looked it up in my own time and luckily I have done many things in my own will to attempt and get a good a CV as possible, if only I had more opportunities...
Reply 43
You did better than some people at private school? Looks like we have proof that state schooling is better then.

Do you have any evidence that private schools spoon feed any more than state schools? For one, their high Oxbridge acceptance rates would suggest the opposite is true, given that Oxbridge will reject those who obviously rely on spoon-feeding.

I did better than every single person at every private school in my area if you must know. And private schools enter their students in for so few GCSEs in order to get better results that it really limits their options. In the school league tables for my area, the private and state schools were completely mixed up - the private schools had no better results.

And yes - more contact time and less free periods DOES mean they are spoon fed and given extra help, and universities know it. An admissions tutor I was speaking to at an Open Day said that they give extra points to state schools because their results are more genuine and show a better chance of being able to work at a university level.
Original post by :)ella
I did better than every single person at every private school in my area if you must know.

With arguments as illogical as that, how did you manage it? Do you not understand that one anecdote does not make something true?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
you can definately tell those with a classical education on here :colone: i mean that in the rudest of ways :P
Original post by whiteing
you can definately tell those with a classical education on here :colone: i mean that in the rudest of ways :P

If that refers to me, I am state schooled just in a bad mood today :tongue:.
Reply 47
With arguments as illogical as that, how did you manage it? Do you not understand that one anecdote does not make something true?

That's why I justified it with the League Tables thing and you can't deny that doing hardly any GCSEs can harm peoples chances of competitive uni courses - some score you on your best 9 GCSEs
That's why I justified it with the League Tables thing and you can't deny that doing hardly any GCSEs can harm peoples chances of competitive uni courses - some score you on your best 9 GCSEs

Yes, but that is still your area - I imagine it has very good state schools and rather worse private schools than average (and I severely hope it is not a grammar school area, or you are taking the piss). I'm talking of overall trends, not a few schools in one or two counties.
Reply 49
Original post by Parente
Oh I believe it is. I go to an average state school and I tell you the teachers couldnt give a crap about me. Im doing well yay but they wont help me to get me to the very top, they concentrate on all the under-achievers. I have never even heard of all these awards that private students get. We dont have an option to play instruments or do DofE and all the other things, literally in our school its a free-for-all. Everything must be done yourself! I went to Airbus in Chester for a weeks work experience and I was the only kid that was from a state school (There were 10 of us in total). They had all been advised by their school on going there (And had a goot personal statement for it) but I looked it up in my own time and luckily I have done many things in my own will to attempt and get a good a CV as possible, if only I had more opportunities...

was there not a better state school in your area? If not that really sucks for you :frown:

I went to a state school and as well as it being pretty high on results, and extremely high on "value added" it offered almost every extra curricular activity I've heard anyone specifically mention as a bonus for private schools in this type of discussion. It was also compulsory to take part in at least one after school extra curricular activity a week in years 7-9.

edit: oh it wasn't a grammar school either
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
I did better than every single person at every private school in my area if you must know. And private schools enter their students in for so few GCSEs in order to get better results that it really limits their options. In the school league tables for my area, the private and state schools were completely mixed up - the private schools had no better results.

And yes - more contact time and less free periods DOES mean they are spoon fed and given extra help, and universities know it. An admissions tutor I was speaking to at an Open Day said that they give extra points to state schools because their results are more genuine and show a better chance of being able to work at a university level.

This is mostly true (the universities I have knowledge of take grades in context, so equivalent grades from a bad school are seen as better than those from an exceptional school), but how is this an argument against private schooling?

There is also a difference between spoon-feeding and getting good quality teaching. I went to an extremely good private school, and do not pretend to have had any barriers whatsoever to in my education (and am happy to concede of someone got grades even close to mine from a really rough school it is just as impressive), but this doesn't mean it was spoon-fed to me. I still had to understand the material just as well as anyone else to get my grades. You could say that Oxford spoon-feed me now because I get a lot more contact hours (3-4 tutorials per week) than at almost any other university, but I would strongly refute that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Parente

My mum teaches Maths at a comprehensive and has to do exactly this. It is all about getting people up to a C grade, so who really gives a crap about people on a A/A* boundary?

Seems like you are doing pretty well though, so congrats. :smile:
Reply 52
Yes, but that is still your area - I imagine it has very good state schools and rather worse private schools than average (and I severely hope it is not a grammar school area, or you are taking the piss). I'm talking of overall trends, not a few schools in one or two counties.

No actually - it has a mix of the good and the bad of both and I definitely wouldn't consider it to be a particularly affluent county - it's just your average northern county with the rich and the poor

and obviously I'm not from a grammar school area
Reply 53
Original post by Fallen
My mum teaches Maths at a comprehensive and has to do exactly this. It is all about getting people up to a C grade, so who really gives a crap about people on a A/A* boundary?

Seems like you are doing pretty well though, so congrats. :smile:

I went to a comprehensive school but the classes were set by ability, so you would have "set 1" "set 2" ect, and people on the C grade boundary would never even be in the same class as people on the "A/A*" boundary so therefore couldn't take all the teachers attention. is this not standard :s-smilie: if not it should be
Reply 54
Original post by Fallen
This is mostly true (the universities I have knowledge of take grades in context, so equivalent grades from a bad school are seen as better than those from an exceptional school), but how is this an argument against private schooling?

There is also a difference between spoon-feeding and getting good quality teaching. I went to an extremely good private school, and do not pretend to have had any barriers whatsoever to in my education (and am happy to concede of someone got grades even close to mine from a really rough school it is just as impressive), but this doesn't mean it was spoon-fed to me. I still had to understand the material just as well as anyone else to get my grades. You could say that Oxford spoon-feed me now because I get a lot more contact hours (3-4 tutorials per week) than at almost any other university, but I would strongly refute that.

it's a bad thing because I want to do well academically beyond sixth form, so learning to work independently is important to me. I saw you made a point earlier about state schools being obsessed with getting everyone a C and I do have to agree there - I found that quite frustrating. But I'd still say overall I think state schools prepare you better for the future but thats just my opinion.
Reply 55
I go to a comprehensive state school, and we have loads of extra-curriculars activities and things. The school runs DofE, a chess club, a debating society, orchestra twice a week, wind band, jazz band, big band, school musical with live music performed by students, as well as all the usual sports. We've got 7 oxbridge offers this year - the local private school got none. There was lots of advice about personal statements, and the head of sixth form checked them all through. The school arranged mock interviews for those who needed them. This does say a lot about the area I live in - we also have a school equestrian team and a golf team. But I really feel it goes to show that you don't HAVE to go private to get the best education for your children.
No actually - it has a mix of the good and the bad of both and I definitely wouldn't consider it to be a particularly affluent county - it's just your average northern county with the rich and the poor

and obviously I'm not from a grammar school area

Just check the average results nationally and private schools do enormously better. If those in your area do not, then there must be some sort of difference in your area or the schools there.
Obviously it really depends on the school, and the attitude of the kids, and the parents. The school could be an amazing state, and the parents good, but if the child doesn't have the right attitude it won't work. Or the school and the parents could be bog-standard, yet the child may have a great work ethic and do really well.
As for me, I would consider it. For me I think the most important thing would be to check out the schools near where I lived. If I saw the state schools weren't very good, I'd consider private. If the state schools were really good, I'd go for state. Where I live, the state schools aren't seen to be particularly great. You hear 'rumours' about them which I'm sure are vastly untrue. One of them is right next to my old primary school, and all the stories about this high school were pretty negative, but when I looked round it seemed really nice. Yet in an area nearby, there are some really great state schools (although, granted, they are grammar schools, but some are just 'normal' state.
Overall, I'd consider the area first- quality of the state schools. If they were good, I'd send my kids there.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug
Anyone who says a state school education is superior is simply delusional. There is so much snobbery from judgemental, 'high-horse' parents who send their kids to state schools, who try to justify their (perfectly legitimate) decision not to give their kids the best start possible in life - unless of course they can't afford it, which is an entirely different matter. I have experienced both private and state schools, and the gulf is massive. Public students do not live in a bubble, very few are actually snobs and they are almost all very well mannered and polite due to the discipline enforced by their school.

My experience of state school was living in fear every day because I was an above average student and was threatened daily for trying to make something of my education. My fellow students were primarily obnoxious wannabe gangsters who spent their time beating each other up and dragging their knuckles along the floor. The idea that you get a more balanced education, learning about society is absolute *******s; it is simply the excuse of the parents who decide to send their kids there. At my school there are kids from all different backgrounds, about 30% are on scholarships and others have parents who sacrifice a large proportion of their income to send their offspring there. Unless you have experienced private schools, I'm afraid you have no right to comment, and vice versa.

I don't know what kind of state school you were sent to but mine certainly wasn't like that.
Just check the average results nationally and private schools do enormously better. If those in your area do not, then there must be some sort of difference in your area or the schools there.

True that.

Quote me if you've been to both good private and good state schools and can comment on the comparison.

Personally the private school was clearly better: ithad better results, had more resources, better teaching, a more independent environment at an early age (which affects students positively and imo increases chances of Oxbridge/top unis).

Latest

Trending

Trending