The Student Room Group

is going from a private to a state school a big change?

ive been at a private school my entire life and going to go to a state school. what are the major differences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by user1298371
ive been at a private school my entire life and going to go to a state school. what are the major differences?

The class sizes at state school are bigger than private school. You have 30 kids in 1 class at a state school. So this effects teaching. You have to work hard yourself to get the best grades. But everyone can do well at state school if they just work hard.
Reply 2

You'll be taught by qualified teachers!
Reply 3
Original post by Cloud2023
The class sizes at state school are bigger than private school. You have 30 kids in 1 class at a state school. So this effects teaching. You have to work hard yourself to get the best grades. But everyone can do well at state school if they just work hard.

would you say the people are different? generalising here
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
You'll be taught by qualified teachers!

can you still have a personal relationship with a teacher?
Reply 5
would you say the people are different? generalising here

Everyone is the same
How can people be different
No one is different everyone is the same

i had 30 students a class in all my pre gcse humanities subjects at independent school
Reply 7
Original post by steamedclams
i had 30 students a class in all my pre gcse humanities subjects at independent school

What school did you go to
What school did you go to

obvs not gonna say that, but this isn't a terribly unusual practice.

Major difference is class size, although that is more true for the higher years (GCSE+) than Years 9 below. Those year groups (Year 9 below) can easily match state school class sizes, depending on the school. If you're talking Eton, then fewer in Years 9 below; if you're talking your average private school in most major cities and areas, esp outside London, then class sizes can be comparable in those lower years. Possibly a difference in most of those school however is that each individual teacher teaches fewer students overall.

Another major difference is funding per student. And the knock-on effects of that. Can't really hide that one. It makes a difference if a school can afford to pay staff for all the extras etc. And if a school can afford to spend more on buildings and resources etc. It's a big difference. Goodwill does not make up the gap now.

After that, it very much depends on which schools you're comparing. Some students in state schools have families that can afford to buy a house in an "outstanding" ofsted catchment, and they can afford private tutors. Others can't. Some students in private schools can afford extra holidays abroad and all the cultural capital that comes with privilege, and others can't.

It doesn't help to have a chip on your shoulder one way or the other. There will always be parents who will pay extra for their kids to gain an advantage in education, whether that is through private school fees, high mortgages, private tutors or whatever else it takes. The main thing that makes a difference is parental involvement. If you don't have that, can you simulate it ...? Find a mentor? Read. Read. Read. Connection, motivation, stimulation, inspiration .... these are the things that parents who pay more for their kids' education because they want to make a difference (whether by paying school fees, or higher mortgages, or for private tutors) are aiming to get for the money they spend.

Don't listen to people who are all on one side of the divide or the other. The truth is more complex, families are more complex, students and education are more complex than a simple reduction to "private schools vs state schools" debate.
(edited 4 months ago)

Not true re class sizes at GCSE or A level for many subjects. We have a max of 20 in an A level class and many are smaller.
can you still have a personal relationship with a teacher?

No and it was never allowed.
i went to normal state (religious) primary school to a very good independent secondary, and the primary teaching was rly good tbh. i did get a lot of extra g and t activities and stuff, but i also had great class teachers and sports and stuff. the only thing that was lacking was music and language lessons probs
Reply 13
Not true re class sizes at GCSE or A level for many subjects. We have a max of 20 in an A level class and many are smaller.

What school do you go to
i went to normal state (religious) primary school to a very good independent secondary, and the primary teaching was rly good tbh. i did get a lot of extra g and t activities and stuff, but i also had great class teachers and sports and stuff. the only thing that was lacking was music and language lessons probs

KS2 teaching of a foreign language is statutory and has been for a while! Ditto music ..
What school do you go to

I'm a teacher and of course am not going to tell you that. It's true of many state schools.
KS2 teaching of a foreign language is statutory and has been for a while! Ditto music ..

we had a few italian lessons in year 5 but they were quite bad
we had a few italian lessons in year 5 but they were quite bad

They weren't following the NC then ... supposed to be in every year in KS2.
They weren't following the NC then ... supposed to be in every year in KS2.

naughty naughty
Reply 19
No and it was never allowed.

sorry I dont think I was clear here. a personal relationship as in you and your teacher know each other and can have private discussions. for example at my school the classes are quite small therefore the teacher knows you better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending