The Student Room Group

Can anyone clarify these IB rumours?

Hello :smile:
I've heard a few rumours about some IB subjects and would be really grateful if someone could set the record straight on them please!
I'm taking (from September)
English Literatute, History & Biology at HL and
French B, Spanish ab initio & Maths studies at SL
I heard that...
1. History is very very very hard at HL and there is too much in the syllabus and not enough time to cover it?
2. Biology HL is very maths heavy (although I'm predicted an A in GCSE maths, I don't like it at all!)
3. Language orals and the exams are very tough..

I appreciate that of course the IB is a challenging course, I just wanted to clear these rumours as my options are the best choices in the option blocks do that I can do my HL subjects together..
I don't qualify to answer the first question, but I will try and answer the other two.

2. Biology HL is very maths heavy (although I'm predicted an A in GCSE maths, I don't like it at all!)

Absolutely NOT! In fact, IB Bio HL is known for its heavy load, not being maths heavy. Among the other science courses, it is the most knowledge-based. True, you will have to go through the syllabus very carefully and to absorb a lot of information on a variety of topics. However, the other ones you take at HL (English, History...) I assume you are good at essay-based subjects and recalling information? If so, then I think Biology might be just appropriate for you.

3. Language orals and the exams are very tough..

Yes, they are not a piece of cake, but then like the above poster said, what would be the point if they were? That said, they are not THAT bad either. Many students (including me) get too anxious during their orals so that might be something to work on. As for the exams (and orals too, really), I agree they are formulaic. Just know what you need to know, and know it well.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I took the IB program and I had friends who took history at HL. They told me that history at HL is indeed very hard because of the amount of facts you must learn but also because one must be capable of understanding the point of view of the historical text in order to write the History exam papers well. However they told me that they did have enough time to finish the syllabus and that it really comes down to studying a bit each day. :smile: Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending