The Student Room Group

IB Subjects - Law

Hi! I'm starting the IBDP soon, and I aim to study law in the UK in the future, and I'm pretty confused about subject selections.

As of right now, I've decided on:
HLs: Global Politics, English A Language and Literature, Economics, Indonesian B
SLs: ESS, Maths AI

I can't drop Indonesian B to an SL as that is the minimum requirement provided by my school, because of my nationality being Indonesian. I've received some suggestions on dropping English A to an SL instead, but I'm worried about it reducing my chances to get into a decent university in the UK. I'd appreciate any advice, thank you!
I would recommend that you keep Eng A Lang Lit as a HL. Given that you are doing Indonesian B HL, you should be able to keep 4 HLs and 2 SLs. Your subject combination does look fine. Have a look at the LNAT thread to have a feel of what sort of LNAT scores universities are making offers to applicants.

Edit: I would like to add that all the Law applicants from my school were advised by our school university advisors to have Eng Lang Lit HL or Eng Lit HL and this is only the minimum. The accompanying subject is typically History HL but not everyone likes History HL, and some will choose Economics HL instead. They are at Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol, UCL, LSE, KCL. If these are not the universities that you are interested in, then the choice of your HLs may matter less. I disagree that any subject combination is fine. We have known how important subject combinations are, as universities look at your package to judge how academically rigorous your HLs are.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by anonymous234812
Hi! I'm starting the IBDP soon, and I aim to study law in the UK in the future, and I'm pretty confused about subject selections.
HLs: Global Politics, English A Language and Literature, Economics, Indonesian B
I can't drop Indonesian B to an SL as that is the minimum requirement provided by my school, because of my nationality being Indonesian. I've received some suggestions on dropping English A to an SL instead, but I'm worried about it reducing my chances to get into a decent university in the UK. I'd appreciate any advice, thank you!
Honestly any IB subject combination will be fine. The structure of the IB is such that more it less no matter what you take you'll be doing a traditionally academic curriculum which is all they care about. Whether you do all sciences at HL, all essay subjects, a mixture or otherwise its fine.

You don't need to do English HL for law.
As above - for Law there are no specific, required subjects.
You could be doing 3 HL science subjects, it would be fine.
Go for subjects that you will enjoy studying and where you feel confident of high grades.
Reply 4
There are not any required subjects for law, but there are definitely some preferred subjects. You should definitely be taking subjects that help with your essay writing.

HL English is a classic for law degrees, helps you with your analytical and writing skills.

Global politics is GREAT for law!! The things you learn will definitely help you. You also have to do an Engagement Activity, where you interview actors in the community - if your EA is something where you can learn more about the law that would be great! But word of warning - if global politics is not a popular subject in your school / the teachers are not well-versed in it, it can be a little tough.

Econs is also a "preferred" subject by many schools.
Reply 5
Does Law prefer 4 HLs given you are Indonesian and doing Indonesian B HL? Does it matter if you drop either GP or econ to SL?
Original post by Lovere
Does Law prefer 4 HLs given you are Indonesian and doing Indonesian B HL? Does it matter if you drop either GP or econ to SL?

There is no preference for 4 HLs. I don't think the universities care about your Indonesian B HL but unfortunately for you, you won't be allowed by your school to drop Indonesian to B SL, correct? (If it is offered).

If you drop GP or Econs to SL, what will your other HLs be?
Original post by BubblesBB
There is no preference for 4 HLs. I don't think the universities care about your Indonesian B HL but unfortunately for you, you won't be allowed by your school to drop Indonesian to B SL, correct? (If it is offered).
If you drop GP or Econs to SL, what will your other HLs be?

Yes, I'm aware that there's no preference for 4 HLs but I'm worried about universities not liking Indo B HL, and only two of GP/Econ/English Lit A
Yes, I'm aware that there's no preference for 4 HLs but I'm worried about universities not liking Indo B HL, and only two of GP/Econ/English Lit A

I am pretty sure the universities understand that you have to take Indonesian B HL and they won't bat an eyelid. What matters is that UK universities give offer conditions based on 3 HLs, and unless they specify that they don't care for Indonesian B HL, and that their conditions are for other HLs except Indonesian B HL, you can use it towards your offer conditions.

From GP/Econs/Eng Lit A - I think you know you should keep Eng Lit A. This leaves GP and Econs, which was your original question - I would suggest you drop the one that you are weaker at e.g. higher risk of getting a 5. Check the few universities that you are likely to be applying to, and see what HL conditions they are asking. Is it 766, 666, 665, 655 ... Knowing this means you have to meet/exceed HL conditions, in addition to the overall IB score requirement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending