The Student Room Group

IB uni help

I just received my IB results, unfortunately I did not achieve my diploma by 2 points. I can't retake, I don't have the money to pay for it, IB was already quite expensive but I was encouraged to do it because of scholarship opportunities. I was in a UWC. So I'm stuck, anyone who didn't meet the requirements have advice? Any Uni's that I can try my luck to apply for?
Original post by Izzy#
I just received my IB results, unfortunately I did not achieve my diploma by 2 points. I can't retake, I don't have the money to pay for it, IB was already quite expensive but I was encouraged to do it because of scholarship opportunities. I was in a UWC. So I'm stuck, anyone who didn't meet the requirements have advice? Any Uni's that I can try my luck to apply for?

I don't know the IB well, so forgive me if this isn't an option, but is there any opportunity to request that the marking of one or more of your papers be reviewed? That's certainly an option with both GCSEs and A levels.

The fact that you were just 2 points away must be very frustrating. :frown:
Original post by Izzy#

What subject do you want to study?
Which HL/SL components did you fail?

Have you put your results into the ucas tariff points calculator?
Reply 3
Have you already applied to UK Unis?
Do you already have any offers?
Most universities accept dropped grades but wont make decisions until A level results day in August when they know the numbers who have met their offers. It doesnt apply to Oxbridge, top London universities and other very competitive courses.

If you are rejected by your chosen university you can apply elsewhere through extra or clearing.
And just to clarify, have you been awarded the IBDP overall at all? Or just individual subject grades?
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
What subject do you want to study?

Have you put your results into the ucas tariff points calculator?

I'd like to stay on the Psychology path, haven't got a specific career in mind. Yes I did put all my points into UCAS and for psychology it gave me 32 points
Reply 7
Original post by DataVenia
I don't know the IB well, so forgive me if this isn't an option, but is there any opportunity to request that the marking of one or more of your papers be reviewed? That's certainly an option with both GCSEs and A levels.

The fact that you were just 2 points away must be very frustrating. :frown:

It really still is frustrating, but I'm trying to see what other options work for me. I started living in the UK recently and opened a UCAS account. I do remember remarking needs finances and there's a risk of my grades going down too.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
Have you already applied to UK Unis?
Do you already have any offers?

I was previously informed that the UK was very competitive for applications, especially scholarships. I focused more on American Unis and did apply to some. No I don't have any offers yet. But their main requirement is that I should have the diploma. I moved to the UK recently, about a month ago. I started looking into UCAS. I'm also looking into pathway entries?
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
Most universities accept dropped grades but wont make decisions until A level results day in August when they know the numbers who have met their offers. It doesnt apply to Oxbridge, top London universities and other very competitive courses.

If you are rejected by your chosen university you can apply elsewhere through extra or clearing.

Oh thanks, I didn't know that! I haven't found any specific universities in the UK yet, but I'm using UCAS to help me find some that have pathway entries for Psychology.
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
And just to clarify, have you been awarded the IBDP overall at all? Or just individual subject grades?

The diploma? No I haven't. I was able to see what all my subject grades were, my science and TOK brought me down. Psychology is the subject I performed the best.
Original post by Izzy#
The diploma? No I haven't. I was able to see what all my subject grades were, my science and TOK brought me down. Psychology is the subject I performed the best.

That will definitely limit your options then. I’d recommend looking at unis outside of London and perhaps with Foundation Years.

I suppose another question is have you addressed whatever caused you to underperform in the IB? No point getting onto an undergrad course unless you’re confident that’s all behind you.
Original post by Izzy#
I'd like to stay on the Psychology path, haven't got a specific career in mind. Yes I did put all my points into UCAS and for psychology it gave me 32 points

Have you put your results into the ucas tariff points calculator? Not just your result for Psychology but ALL your results to get a total tariff score.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ

Have you put your results into the ucas tariff points calculator? Not just your result for Psychology but ALL your results to get a total tariff score.

For my HLs
Psychology - 5
English A LL- 4
Bio- 3
Then my SL
Physics-3
Maths-3
French - 4
My TOK and EE rounds up to 2 points
I did put all these results into the UCAS calculator - I got 106 tariff points
Reply 14
Original post by Admit-One
That will definitely limit your options then. I’d recommend looking at unis outside of London and perhaps with Foundation Years.

I suppose another question is have you addressed whatever caused you to underperform in the IB? No point getting onto an undergrad course unless you’re confident that’s all behind you.

I've been looking into Foundation years as my next option, but it is confusing me a little bit. It's difficult for me to find Unis outside of the UK which offers some financial support. I mainly think I underperformed because I was moving in and out of the country alot, it did disturb my focus. But I also couldn't for the life of me, understand my teachers, no matter how many times they explained, it made me feel very slow.
Original post by Izzy#
For my HLs
Psychology - 5
English A LL- 4
Bio- 3
Then my SL
Physics-3
Maths-3
French - 4
My TOK and EE rounds up to 2 points
I did put all these results into the UCAS calculator - I got 106 tariff points

While you could probably find a university willing to accept you with 106 tariff points the 3 for Maths SL is likely to be a problem for such a maths heavy degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending