The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Economics query

My school did not offer Further Mathematics classes so is application worthwhile and will applicants be severely disadvantaged if this is the case?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ak_kun
My school did not offer Further Mathematics classes so is application worthwhile and will applicants be severely disadvantaged if this is the case?

You will not be disadvantaged, nor should you be. It's not your fault that your school don't offer Further Maths.

That make this point clear here when they say "We understand however that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Mathematics programme, and you will not be disadvantaged because of this." (My emphasis.)

Note that they also say, "Therefore it is helpful if you and/or your referees can indicate whether or not your school or college offers Further Mathematics classes."
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by DataVenia
You will not be disadvantaged, nor should you be. It's not your fault that your school don't offer Further Maths.

That make this point clear here when they say "We understand however that not everyone has the opportunity to follow a Further Mathematics programme, and you will not be disadvantaged because of this." (My emphasis.)

Note that they also say, "Therefore it is helpful if you and/or your referees can indicate whether or not your school or college offers Further Mathematics classes."

To add to this, LSE send all applicants for Bsc Economics an 'Additional Information Questionnaire' as well once they receive the application - in which they ask if you take Further Maths or not and give you the option to select 'school didn't offer it' as a reason for why you haven't done it. Outlining this in your reference as well will make sure you're not at any disadvantage compared to applicants who have taken Further Maths, and they will consider your application in the same way.

The offers they give to applicants who haven't taken FM, are usually all applicants who's school/college didn't offer it - so don't worry, you should be absolutely fine.

Best of luck w/ the application
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia

Many thanks, I will make sure to include it in my reference. Is it also needed if Economics was not offered either. Last of all, is it not advisable to apply without taking the TMUA.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jobajojoba
To add to this, LSE send all applicants for Bsc Economics an 'Additional Information Questionnaire' as well once they receive the application - in which they ask if you take Further Maths or not and give you the option to select 'school didn't offer it' as a reason for why you haven't done it. Outlining this in your reference as well will make sure you're not at any disadvantage compared to applicants who have taken Further Maths, and they will consider your application in the same way.

The offers they give to applicants who haven't taken FM, are usually all applicants who's school/college didn't offer it - so don't worry, you should be absolutely fine.

Many thanks. Is it also needed if Economics was not offered either. Last of all, is it not advisable to apply without taking the TMUA.
Original post by ak_kun

Many thanks. Is it also needed if Economics was not offered either. Last of all, is it not advisable to apply without taking the TMUA.

Economics as an A Level isn’t even needed when applying to Bsc Econ at LSE. They give offers to quite a few applicants each year who haven’t taken Economics A Level - simply because they teach the Economics from scratch from what I’ve heard, whereas the maths knowledge is a prerequisite and is required.

Mentioning that your school didn’t offer Economics in your reference isn’t as necessary as mentioning Further Maths, but you may if you wish to do so.

And to answer your question, of course not. Most applicants wouldn’t have taken the TMUA, and only those who’ve applied to Cambridge. Some people may be applying to Oxford as well and have taken the TSA instead, which the LSE don’t consider. I’ve heard that LSE don’t look at the TMUA anyways for pure Econ, with people with a 3.0 score still getting offered a place. In a sense I would assume, no TMUA is probably better than a low score in the TMUA and then not sending it to LSE even though you said you’ve taken it. There’s also the rumour that LSE tend to reject Oxbridge applicants to maintain their offers/acceptances yield, which I doubt is true but considering how crazy LSE’s admissions processes are, it’s not too far off to think it could be something like that.

Although the TMUA is a bit more desired for an application to the Bsc Maths and Econ joint honours course at LSE.
Reply 6
Thanks again for the response but I did not take the TMUA.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by ak_kun
Thanks again for the response but I did not take the TMUA.

I meant that it doesn’t matter if you’ve taken TMUA or not - and you should apply even if you haven’t taken TMUA, it won’t affect your application and it’s advisable.
Reply 8
I meant that it doesn’t matter if you’ve taken TMUA or not - and you should apply even if you haven’t taken TMUA, it won’t affect your application and it’s advisable.

Oh right - thank you for clarifying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending