Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
thanx beth!!

can smeone show what plan there planning activity is;
so far ive got intro..lol!!
whats the rest of it?
Reply 581
cksjohns
That's the dilemma I'm currently facing.

Need to know how much aspirin in grams is in 10cm3 of a 1.5% solution of aspirin.

Having given up chemistry after AS i've forgotten all those formulae with mass/conc/volume ...moles...molar mass (!!??) which I guess could be used, anyone help me out?

surely you dont need to take samples of the urine every hour. the plan given to us simply says to plan an investigation to determine concentration of aspirin in urine in order to estimate amount left in the body. therefore one measurement of the urine would be enough, just test that paricualr sample more than once to make sure it is correct?? so say u collect urine for 4 hours, dont test any of it until you have all of it, then measure out your amount given to the participant, test that. and if you have enough, test it again to check. would that not work? as my teacher is being very vague about everything....
cksjohns
That's the dilemma I'm currently facing.

Need to know how much aspirin in grams is in 10cm3 of a 1.5% solution of aspirin.

Having given up chemistry after AS i've forgotten all those formulae with mass/conc/volume ...moles...molar mass (!!??) which I guess could be used, anyone help me out?

Why not hunt down the AS OCR chem planning thread? We're doing planning for a titration, so alot of discussion and tips about the methods and maths involved.
However, you people realise its not too late to switch to colorimetry. Its only a plan; you only describe using it, and all the answers are on this thread. I really think all the chemists have been very tempted with this planning to veer off into the chemistry of the question, and this is NOT what the examiners want. They want demonstration of our Biology practical experience, and I think we'll be marked higher if we use that rather than chemistry. I'm doing Chem.. so I know its easy to go into that side of it, but we shouldn't. We don't get marks for sounding smart! Only for answering the question through BIOLOGY. (Sorry.. that was for everyone.. not just you cksjohns!)
cvincecvince
do we really need to go into detail about how aspirin is broken down in the body, exceted and how urine pH affects this. surely it's ok to say u would use the same person in the method

You're going to need to include enough detail to justify everything you do and why.. what theory its all based on, and you're going to need to show you have an idea of exactly how the body processes the aspirin. How else will you get marks for AS and A2 Bio knowlege?
Reply 584
hi ... so the equation to find how much is left in body = initial intake - left in urine

to get the % left in urine i would just use the calibration graph and get the %.
say it was 1% salicylic acid in the urine. i would then convert to conc.

1% = 10gdm^-3 right... ( 10/1000 = 0.01 * 100 = 1%)

( i dunno if it right... i think those were from previous pages)
How would i estimate the amount left in the body?

would i just say the person had 1.5%... convert to conc then minus the two conc... or that wouldnt work?

Also would gdm^-3 * dm3 = g ( would the dm3 cancel?) and g*1000 = mg

finally i have been reading through the posts and i am totally confused whether we should plan to test on humans( eg a receipe that they can follow)... if not do we state a method which could be applied by humans to find the estimate amount left in the human body and do they want the estimate left in body to be in conc or mass?
croakly
hi ... so the equation to find how much is left in body = initial intake - left in urine

to get the % left in urine i would just use the calibration graph and get the %.
say it was 1% salicylic acid in the urine. i would then convert to conc.

1% = 10gdm^-3 right... ( 10/1000 = 0.01 * 100 = 1%)

( i dunno if it right... i think those were from previous pages)
How would i estimate the amount left in the body?

would i just say the person had 1.5%... convert to conc then minus the two conc... or that wouldnt work?

Also would gdm^-3 * dm3 = g ( would the dm3 cancel?) and g*1000 = mg

finally i have been reading through the posts and i am totally confused whether we should plan to test on humans... if not do we state a method which could be applied by humans to find the estimate amount left in the human body and do they want the estimate left in body to be in conc or mass?

Conc or mass is your choice. There's no right or wrong. Its your experiment.. it just has to be feasible.
The question clearly warns against using humans or real urine. I think that means don't even include it in the plan. Use the plan to create a scale of reference that would be a source against which urine samples could theoretically be compared to get an idea of aspirin conc. Don't waste time feeding the person aspirin and taking samples of urine at intervals. Evidently not what they want us to do. Dilution series in a lab.. and then a calibration curve that one could compare a tested urine sample against.
(in my opinion)
Reply 586
Bang Bang you're dead, always so easily led
tctc
Bang Bang you're dead, always so easily led

??? .....*?* :confused:
Reply 588
Craghyrax
??? .....*?* :confused:

Its a lyric.. but it seems to be fitting, everyone is trying to get everyone to help them so there getting different input from different people mostly conflicting, which makes it even more confusing.
:biggrin: I did the planning exercise without looking out this thread :biggrin: i came on after... everyone got a total different way to do it
tctc
Its a lyric.. but it seems to be fitting, everyone is trying to get everyone to help them so there getting different input from different people mostly conflicting, which makes it even more confusing.
:biggrin: I did the planning exercise without looking out this thread :biggrin: i came on after... everyone got a total different way to do it

Agreed. As I said, there's no wrong or right.. its our experiments to design. Alot of people do seem to be making it harder for themselves though!
I'd done most of mine before I came on.. and figured most of the stuff out with research. Handed it in two tuesdays ago. Still fluffing about on tcr cause I've got another one for Chem.
Reply 590
Craghyrax
Agreed. As I said, there's no wrong or right.. its our experiments to design. Alot of people do seem to be making it harder for themselves though!
I'd done most of mine before I came on.. and figured most of the stuff out with research. Handed it in two tuesdays ago. Still fluffing about on tcr cause I've got another one for Chem.

We do prac for phys and bio, and cw for chem... chemistry cw our teachers refuse to give us full marks cause there scared of the moderators... Phys was the hardest.
Reply 591
Can someone please briefly explain how aspirin goes from blood>kidne>urine to me, or point me to where I may be able to find out?

thx
Reply 592
cksjohns
Can someone please briefly explain how aspirin goes from blood>kidne>urine to me, or point me to where I may be able to find out?

thx

Please dont correct my spelling :P
ok travels in plasma, at kidney it leaves blood in the glomeralus into the Bowmans Capsule (as small)... no selective reabsorbtion. so its pretty much the same for any small molecule
Reply 593
cksjohns

thx

http://www.bioeng.auckland.ac.nz/physiome/ontologies/urinary/tissues.php

is a good website, scroll to the very bottom where it talks about tubular secretion, i had trouble getting my head around it but this explains it clearly. if the link doesn't work, google "tubular secretion" it should be the 4th one down, a New Zealand website.

hope this helps.
Reply 594
cksjohns

thx

http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual/section22/chapter298/298e.jsp

try that too, it starts off with scary language but scroll way down to renal excretion it explains it in not so scary language (well mostly)!
Reply 595
Just wondering, I couldnt be bothered to do a preliminary expt. so I made up data for the calibration curve:
Aspirin concentration / % - Optical density / % Transmission
0.0 98.7
0.3 85.4
0.6 67.2
0.9 52.5
1.2 37.1
1.5 19.8

Am I ****ed?
anyone know how to work out the serial dilutions from the 1.5% sln.????
tctc
We do prac for phys and bio, and cw for chem... chemistry cw our teachers refuse to give us full marks cause there scared of the moderators... Phys was the hardest.

How tiresome! Chem Planning exercises are SOOO much easier than the Bio.. unbelievable! Bio just gives far more room for them to make it ambiguous and give you something out of the blue that requires you to think out of the box a bit (plus research) to sort out. I mean that generally for Bio..btw.. even thoughy mostly Bio is much easier than Chem. In Chem with the planning..there's only one or two things they can do.. so its really easily to instantly suss and then its just jumping through hoops. I can imagine them having loads of room to turn Physics planning into a nightmare!
I suppose with you doing CW for Chem you're getting a better education than us..:rolleyes: Lucky you!
Reply 598
Hi, im on the edge of finishing this planning but i think i need more points on the following questions:
1) describes ways of obtaining reliable results... eg you could use 10 or more people in the experiment- consistency
2) explain how precise results could be obtained.( is this asking about accuracy like use syringes?)
3) comments on precision and reliability
4)validity of investigation ( what does this mean?)

all these just seem to ask about the same type of thing... what differs precise and realiability? is precise getting it to the right figure as possible and realibility is fair testing or validity is fair testing... hmmmm :?
it would be helpful if you can give a few examples referring to this planning... thanks :P
croakly
Hi, im on the edge of finishing this planning but i think i need more points on the following questions:
1) describes ways of obtaining reliable results... eg you could use 10 or more people in the experiment- consistency
2) explain how precise results could be obtained.( is this asking about accuracy like use syringes?)
3) comments on precision and reliability
4)validity of investigation ( what does this mean?)

all these just seem to ask about the same type of thing... what differs precise and realiability? is precise getting it to the right figure as possible and realibility is fair testing or validity is fair testing... hmmmm :?
it would be helpful if you can give a few examples referring to this planning... thanks :P

With point 4, its asking you to look back and assess how suitable your plan was for what you were trying to achieve, and whether your experiment was good enough to give results that you could depend upon to be relevent enough/accurate enough to give you a good idea of what you set out to determine.
So in my case.. one of the things that affected the validity of the investigation (that I pointed out) is that FeCl3 turns purple when reacting with groups that contain phenol groups. There are so many things that come out in the urine that have phenol groups and AREN'T salicylic acid. So this means that the way we've chosen to test for aspirin probably isn't valid, and that results obtained by using FeCl3 prob aren't valid/don't give precise enough results to tell us anything.
Think back on each bit, and find problems with it! There are lots of things like that. Particulary with this example.. they made it easy!

Latest

Trending

Trending