The Student Room Group

Biology/ biological sciences applicants for 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HELPIMSTUCK
I'm jealous of your year abroad. Biochemists largely don't seem to do this. You sound like you considered your future a lot better than I have.

Yeah, I tried to choose places with year abroad/ in industry, want to try and squeeze out as much as I can from a degree! I think it's slightly harder to find these for the Life Sciences as opposed to other courses, like languages (obviously) or even quite a few engineering courses have year in industry. Haha, not really, just things I have researched and liked the look of, but I don't have an overarching 'plan', and it could all change in three years. :tongue:
Reply 581
Original post by lilGem
congrats :h:

Original post by pinkfairyarmadillo
Congrats! And good luck getting those last 2. Ucas might be saving the best till last?:tongue:

Many thanks!:wink: And I hope so :P
Reply 582
Original post by inyoursystem
congratulations ^__^ what was your offer?

Thankyou! And AAB. Despite it being fairly high it was my bottom choice.... Was only going to accept them if I got no other offers :tongue:
Reply 583
My career plan is vaguely research.

Your interview is probably quite different to mine - the Molecular Biosciences department interview after they give out an offer (to create some sort of ranking system, it's only used if you firm/insure Sheffield and then don't quite get the grades on results day).

Sheffield looks amazing though. I love that they house the (Molecular?) Biology department in the pretty old buildings of the university. And the course is basically tailored to me perfectly (so I can avoid ecology forever after this January:tongue:).

Good Luck for your interview.

I have also received an invitation to an open day at Sheffield!! In the Molecular biology and biotechnology department. I applied for molecular biology abd I've been searching for someone else who may be going- is it November 15th? It sounds like we have the same motives for taking this course as well ( ecology is a nightmare!) :tongue: I've never been to Sheffield so I am a bit nervous about getting the train there and catching a tram... Don't really know anything about trams :confused: haha
Original post by Sharpeyj
I have also received an invitation to an open day at Sheffield!! In the Molecular biology and biotechnology department. I applied for molecular biology abd I've been searching for someone else who may be going- is it November 15th? It sounds like we have the same motives for taking this course as well ( ecology is a nightmare!) :tongue: I've never been to Sheffield so I am a bit nervous about getting the train there and catching a tram... Don't really know anything about trams :confused: haha

I haven't received an invite / got an offer (yet) :tongue:

I completely failed to get on a tram on the open day. I just walked from the station. Bit of a mistake as Sheffield is situated on top of a mountain.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 585
I haven't received an invite / got an offer (yet) :tongue:

I completely failed to get on a tram on the open day. I just walked from the station. Bit of a mistake as Sheffield is situated on top of a mountain.

Oooooh right:colondollar: well good luck, hope you do get one!!
And hahahah oh dear!:tongue: I shall probably end up getting the wrong tram or missing the stop, so I'll have to walk up there anyway:u:
Original post by Sharpeyj
Oooooh right:colondollar: well good luck, hope you do get one!!
And hahahah oh dear!:tongue: I shall probably end up getting the wrong tram or missing the stop, so I'll have to walk up there anyway:u:

Don't worry too much about the tram :smile: I went on the open day by myself (first time on a tram!) and it was fine. There's a stop right by the overground station. You buy a ticket before getting on and then it takes you to a stop by the uni. If I remember correctly there are announcements telling you the stops. Good luck :tongue:
Reply 587
Original post by GiantPanda
Don't worry too much about the tram :smile: I went on the open day by myself (first time on a tram!) and it was fine. There's a stop right by the overground station. You buy a ticket before getting on and then it takes you to a stop by the uni. If I remember correctly there are announcements telling you the stops. Good luck :tongue:

Ahhh that's good, thanks for the reassurance and heads up! Feeling a little less worried now :tongue:
I've got an interview for biochemistry with industrial/professional experience at Manchester any advice/tips please :smile:
:biggrin: that's great!

Do you mind me asking when you both sent your application off/were acknowledged by imperial? Im hoping to hear from them soon :colondollar: Thanks

Sure, I sent mine in the 13th, but I think my uni counselor sent it on the 14th, I heard from Imperial on Wednesday, so around 17 days later! I hope you hear soon!!!
Original post by NoraClarke
Sure, I sent mine in the 13th, but I think my uni counselor sent it on the 14th, I heard from Imperial on Wednesday, so around 17 days later! I hope you hear soon!!!

Aha, I sent mine off mid September and got the acknowledgement 3 weeks later :redface: I guess I'll just have to be more patient. I now have a strong feeling I'm on the maybe pile but Thank you! :tongue: Well done on getting an offer back so quick though :smile: !!!
Reply 591
Hi, Does anyone know if UCL bio medical sciences is very competitive?
Reply 592
Is anyone here applying to Leicester? :smile:
Original post by hyy
Hi, Does anyone know if UCL bio medical sciences is very competitive?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/downloads/2013/files-download/life

^scroll down and it tells you the number of applications per place and intake for 2013 , it seems to get a lot more applications than for biology but I'm guessing this is because many medics apply there as their 5 choice. Hope that helps :smile:

PS. It may seem really competitive but don't get put off applying by statistics !
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 594
anyone applying for QUB (or am I the only one)? :colondollar:
Reply 595
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate-study/downloads/2013/files-download/life

^scroll down and it tells you the number of applications per place and intake for 2013 , it seems to get a lot more applications than for biology but I'm guessing this is because many medics apply there as their 5 choice. Hope that helps :smile:

PS. It may seem really competitive but don't get put off applying by statistics !

Thanks for the statistics ... it's exactly what I was looking for. Biomedical sciences looks really competitive.
Reply 596
anyone going to the UEA visit day on the 6th Feb? :smile:
Left it a bit late but i've been struggling deciding which degree I actually want to do... Anyway, biology here we are. Hopefully sending off ps by Friday, then just waiting for review from pastoral manager.. so who knows how long it'll actually end up being. I'll get there eventually though hey.

Applying for biology at Manchester, Imperial and either St Andrews or Liverpool. & Then natural science at Durham and Nottingham. :smile:
Reply 598
Original post by Mocking_bird
Left it a bit late but i've been struggling deciding which degree I actually want to do... Anyway, biology here we are. Hopefully sending off ps by Friday, then just waiting for review from pastoral manager.. so who knows how long it'll actually end up being. I'll get there eventually though hey.

Applying for biology at Manchester, Imperial and either St Andrews or Liverpool. & Then natural science at Durham and Nottingham. :smile:

Welcome to the thread :hugs:

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 599
Original post by xbanksx
Is anyone here applying to Leicester? :smile:

ME! :biggrin: I have an offer from them. What did you apply for? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending