The Student Room Group

Help me pick a uni!!!

Hi! I'm interested in applying for microbiology or another life science after A-Levels, I was wondering which unis would be good to look into and apply to? Obviously there's a lot of information online but it's hard to tell where you just meet the requirements and where you have a genuine chance of getting a place.
I take Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology A levels aiming for at least AAA. I've looked at some unis that offer particularly microbiology, but I don't know which would be the best uni that I actually have a chance of getting into and I'm not wasting an application.

For reference, in GCSEs I achieved
English lang: 8
English lit: 8
Maths: 6
Biology: 7
Physics: 6
Chemistry: 6
Spanish: 8
Drama: 8
RS: 9
Japanese: 6
Original post by wavetovenus
Hi! I'm interested in applying for microbiology or another life science after A-Levels, I was wondering which unis would be good to look into and apply to? Obviously there's a lot of information online but it's hard to tell where you just meet the requirements and where you have a genuine chance of getting a place.
I take Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology A levels aiming for at least AAA. I've looked at some unis that offer particularly microbiology, but I don't know which would be the best uni that I actually have a chance of getting into and I'm not wasting an application.

For reference, in GCSEs I achieved
English lang: 8
English lit: 8
Maths: 6
Biology: 7
Physics: 6
Chemistry: 6
Spanish: 8
Drama: 8
RS: 9
Japanese: 6

Hi!
I would recommend looking at a range of universities in terms of entry requirements - some with entry requirements that you are likely to get and some that are more aspirational. With most subjects that are not really oversubscribed, students tend to get in with the entry requirements or just over. There are so many to choose from, so it may be worth trying to have a think about what else you want from your uni experience.
You can rule places out based on location - too far away/in a city/in the countryside.
You can rule them out based on the course - offer lots of labs/not enough/group projects/opportunities to study abroad
And also other things such as what clubs and societies they have, facilities, student support available etc.

I would start by making a list of the Universities that offer the courses you want to do, and then start crossing some off based on things you do not want. Visiting the Universities is always so helpful so you can get a good feel for the place and learn about the course, so once you have a few on your list, have a look at going to some open days.

I hope this helps!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Reply 2
Start by looking at a wide range of related courses.
Look at the entry requirements, look at the course content carefully
Go to some Uni Open Days in May/June. Listen to the subject presentations and ask questions.

Just a few to start with :
Bristol - Undergraduate | School of Cellular and Molecular Medicine | University of Bristol
Liverpool - Biological and Biomedical Sciences - Study - University of Liverpool
Leeds - Undergraduate | Faculty of Biological Sciences | University of Leeds
and there are lots of other courses at other Universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending