The Student Room Group

Grad entry/ accelerated vet med advice

Hi guys, I’m currently in year 12 and I’ve began thinking about possible careers and stuff. I have decided that I think I want to go into vet med however I don’t do the right a levels for vet med undergrad, so I was thinking of doing a degree in either biology or biological sciences, then do the 4/5 year graduate accelerated veterinary medicine degree?

If anyone has studied either biology/ biological sciences/ vet med at university any advice???
Also does anyone have any tips for a biology/ science personal statement.

Thank you guys :smile:
It is a much better idea to go back and do the right A levels. You will not get student funding for vet med as a second degree so you would have to find that money from somewhere.
I'm doing grad entry and my advice is don't do it.
It's better to re-do your A-levels than spend 3 years doing something you don't want to be doing.
Plus grad entry is extremely expensive. I couldn't afford it and I had to go study vet med abroad.
I was at a similar cross roads - Didn't have anywhere near the A levels I needed and had the choice of doing another degree first or resitting. I chose to resit and had a few years out doing that and building up my application (work experience etc.) and would strongly recommend A level resits over another degree. 5 years at university is A LONG TIME - don't make it 8 if you dont need to!. Also consider the prospects of funding the second vet degree.

Having just graduated as a vet I would stress enough the length of time to study really wears you down being 5 years nevermind more.
Does this apply to primary degrees earnt overseas? I'm applying to vet school next year and have a BSc and MSc in environmental science and biology (from an Australian uni). I have British citizenship (I grew up in the UK).
Original post by Kunekune
Does this apply to primary degrees earnt overseas? I'm applying to vet school next year and have a BSc and MSc in environmental science and biology (from an Australian uni). I have British citizenship (I grew up in the UK).

The UK Gov student finance page covering Eligibility ( https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies ) says:

If you’ve studied before
You’ll usually only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification.

This doesn't take note of where your first degree was undertaken or whether you got funding for it. The funding is for raising your education level. If you are already a graduate then you would only get funding for a select list of courses and vet med is not one of them.
Thank you:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by TheMixedVet
I was at a similar cross roads - Didn't have anywhere near the A levels I needed and had the choice of doing another degree first or resitting. I chose to resit and had a few years out doing that and building up my application (work experience etc.) and would strongly recommend A level resits over another degree. 5 years at university is A LONG TIME - don't make it 8 if you dont need to!. Also consider the prospects of funding the second vet degree.

Having just graduated as a vet I would stress enough the length of time to study really wears you down being 5 years nevermind more.

PRSOM
Reply 8
Original post by Nessie162
I'm doing grad entry and my advice is don't do it.
It's better to re-do your A-levels than spend 3 years doing something you don't want to be doing.
Plus grad entry is extremely expensive. I couldn't afford it and I had to go study vet med abroad.

where did you study it abroad thay worked out cheaper overall than studying it at home?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending